don't underestimate my language skills

Feb 28, 2006
ayla said:
Ironique, vraiment.. mais ca sont folies de les jeunesses
Ooo Ooo!! Can I try to translate? I took French in high school and in college, but it's been so long....

"Truly ironic...the faults of the young" (that was probably too literal of a translation...or just totally wrong!!!) :biggrin:

Mariah

Dec 24, 2005
kathyrose said:
How about "Yours isn't real but mine is." LOL.
I don't think you can end a sentence with a verb? So...Le tien n'est pas réel/authentique comme le mien. (Yours isn't real like mine)

kittynui

O.G.
Jan 14, 2006
Paris
I would have said: "peut être qu'il est trop doré mais le mien au moins il est vrai"
(it may be to gold, but mine at least is real)

edsbgrl

Smile!
O.G.
Dec 14, 2005
yeuxhonnetes said:
I was in Starbucks this afternoon, and because it was sunny and 66F out for the first time this year, I wore a denim miniskirt and carried my Monogram Denim Neo-Speedy to match. As I walked into Starbucks, two girls walked in and got in line right behind me. They might have been Canadian -- Canada being just 45 minutes away from Buffalo -- because they looked at me for a moment, then started speaking French to each other. Fortunately I lived in France for 2 years when I was younger, and I'm now a French minor in school, so I understood every word they said. Their conversation went something like this:

Girl 1: Oh, she's carrying one of the denim bags. I like it.

Girl 2: I think it's fake.

Girl 1: How do you know?

Girl 2: The buckles on the pockets look too gold.

And so they went on for a bit, and while I was waiting for my mocha frap, I stole a glance at Girl 2, and realized that she was carrying a fake white Multicolore Lodge (the smaller one) :amazed::weird::lol:. It wasn't even a good fake; whoever made it didn't even attempt to put 33 colors on it, and this one had something like 7 colors :sick:. Then the girl caught me looking at her bag, and I couldn't resist giving her that little I-know-your-bag-is-fake sneer :suspiciou:biggrin:.

"Too gold" indeed!
Good for you (for the sneer) I would have done the same thing. Love it when people start speaking a different language and don't think others know what the heck there're saying. Another good for you!

QuirkyCool

Quirky and Cool
Mar 20, 2006
Rotterdam,Netherlands
I actually think it's classy that you remained silent and had a quiet chuckle to yourself:amuse: . I mean,she made a total fool of herself,and what do you have to prove to a fool?:lol:

rochasgirl

Mar 29, 2006
ayla said:
Ironique, vraiment.. mais ca sont folies de les jeunesses
Thank you!! We can not only use those words on french people but also on non-french speaking people who carry fake bags!! And also to the store owners who sell fakes!! And they all will be left with :huh: :huh: :huh:

Isn't that's a fantastic idea?;) ;)

lvobsessed

Mar 15, 2006
Your Town, My house
Isn't that just great when they speak another language and you understand them.
Like the poster below your original post said " I would have said something back in French" regarding your authentic bag and giggled off :smile:

yeuxhonnetes said:
I was in Starbucks this afternoon, and because it was sunny and 66F out for the first time this year, I wore a denim miniskirt and carried my Monogram Denim Neo-Speedy to match. As I walked into Starbucks, two girls walked in and got in line right behind me. They might have been Canadian -- Canada being just 45 minutes away from Buffalo -- because they looked at me for a moment, then started speaking French to each other. Fortunately I lived in France for 2 years when I was younger, and I'm now a French minor in school, so I understood every word they said. Their conversation went something like this:

Girl 1: Oh, she's carrying one of the denim bags. I like it.

Girl 2: I think it's fake.

Girl 1: How do you know?

Girl 2: The buckles on the pockets look too gold.

And so they went on for a bit, and while I was waiting for my mocha frap, I stole a glance at Girl 2, and realized that she was carrying a fake white Multicolore Lodge (the smaller one) :amazed::weird::lol:. It wasn't even a good fake; whoever made it didn't even attempt to put 33 colors on it, and this one had something like 7 colors :sick:. Then the girl caught me looking at her bag, and I couldn't resist giving her that little I-know-your-bag-is-fake sneer :suspiciou:biggrin:.

"Too gold" indeed!

SuLi

O.G.
Nov 1, 2005
I can't believe how tacky people are. Ugh! It would have been funny if you said something to them in passing.