Dollhouse anyone? :)

I really want to watch this, but after Firefly I just can't risk becoming attached to another Joss Whedon show that Fox will produce and cancel after a few short episodes. Don't know why he continues to work with them.

My thoughts exactly. I'm afraid to get into it just to have it dissappear. But, knowing me I'll end up getting sucked in.

I will watch it this afternoon.
One thing though: I like(d) Buffy but nothing else Whedon has created, for after Buffy season 5 I stopped thinking he is this TV genius... so I will be critical. Fair but critical.

I liked the first episode, but with any first episode of a new series it leaves a lot of questions to be answered and some confusion. But, I know it's just the first episode! I was a bit surprised at how sexed up the segments before the commercial breaks were (showing the woman's back/curves) and how Eliza and the other woman had all this sexual innuendo during the introduction of the show. In any case I'm looking forward to future episodes. As a Buffy fan I have high expectations!

the pilot felt to me a bit shakey at times, but i see a LOT of potential. there are so many things they could do with this concept. i especially like the handler character, he's a moral, upstanding guy who is fully aware of what's going on, it's interesting to wonder why he does it, but it seems like he truly cares about what happens to echo when no one else does. the creepy mystery guy is a great addition, and definitely this investigation angle. can't wait till echo meets helo-- i mean the FBI agent :P

The first scene, the interview between Eliza and the British lady, could have easily taken place in the Buffy universe: Eliza=Faith, British lady=watcher, Eliza's past troubles=Faith's past troubles etc.

Anyway, I watched the pilot. I liked it, but there are a few things that bothered me:
painful experiments are performed in a room that is easily accessible by any doll? I get that the dolls are supposed to be personality free, but that shouldn't mean they are dumb (Echo believeing the nerd's flimsy explanation of what they were doing to the exotic-looking doll).

^yeah, i've heard more than a few ppl point that out, it's a valid question. how can this organization be so top secret and exercise so much control over these "dolls" if they seem to have a pretty lassiez faire attitude about security. and they wipe them clean of their personalities, but not their reasoning. "in between" their assigned personas, it's not like they're brain dead...

I get that the dolls are supposed to be personality free, but that shouldn't mean they are dumb (Echo believeing the nerd's flimsy explanation of what they were doing to the exotic-looking doll).

Hmm good point.

I like the concept of Echo, but honestly Dixon, um I mean the ex-cop watcher dude lolll, was more interesting to me than she was.

I think for such a logically complex premise they did a pretty good job of explaining it through out the scenes without just scene after scene of talking heads. I'm not quite sure about opening, very first thing with people in a room talking. I like it when they hold off on dialogue for a min or two. More intriguing, anyway, I like the idea that this Dollhouse thing is a secret, bad thing and that there is a real-life, non sci-fi, outside threat that might make them face consequences.

They have a strong morality established here. Honestly, the weakest part as I saw it was Echo herself. In terms of a robotic type of woman who starts to be self aware and create a general conscience despite her physical design to function only to execute missions, Terminator: The Sara Connor Chronicles is FAR FAR better.... 100x

@ Tangerine: Granted, I have never seen Terminator:TSCC, but that is an established series, while Dollhouse -at the moment- is just one episode. I don't think you can compare a series with a pilot. Maybe pilot vs pilot, yes, but not T:TSCC vs Dollhouse.

@ Tangerine: Granted, I have never seen Terminator:TSCC, but that is an established series, while Dollhouse -at the moment- is just one episode. I don't think you can compare a series with a pilot. Maybe pilot vs pilot, yes, but not T:TSCC vs Dollhouse.

Yeah I was just thinking about the basic premise the 'robots/ dolls' have to work with and their implied relationships.

I still have high hopes for Dollhouse, I my first impression though is that Echo herself is the weak link. Might get better though, of course!

i wasn't blown away by the pilot, but i'll keep watching to see how the story develops. it might get better. i didn't like how echo seemed dumb after she was wiped. i don't know if it's the acting, but she seemed like a lost, clueless five year old girl wandering around the complex. it was odd. there could've been a better way to portray personality-free. i'm just happy to see helo (aka paul ballard) got another job after bsg.