dollar store eyeshadow: yay or nay?

I doubt it :smile: Blending might be hard and the pigmentation and lasting power probably won't be anything special. How about NYX or drugstore brands like Covergirl? They're not expensive and probably a step or two up from dollar store.

There are a whole cult of girls on YouTube who are devoted to dollar store cosmetics. Most seem to be a fan of LA Colors. I personally can't break myself out of Sephora's grips so I have no idea how they measure up, but you could definitely search for things on YouTube to get a review or two.

If you're not going to wear it a lot, then cheap eyeshadow should be fine. My favorite cheap brand is NYX, which you can usually find for under $4. If you find that the eyeshadow is not as pigmented as you would like, applying it wet will usually make it look better. You definitely won't go blind or suffer eye damage from cheap eyeshadow.

yay! I think for trying out new colors, cheap is always the way to go. I bought a cheap pallet of fun colors a year ago and I rarely use it--but when I want green eye shadow, at least I have it!

i dont think the azuzi colors or whatever its called is that bad... i like one of the palettes i bought.. they surprisingly have a lot of pigment... they go on smooth too.. i have tried certain brands from sephora that are chalky and i would use these dollar store ones over it :shrugs:

Of course you won't go blind LOL but you may not be happy with the pigmentation, blendability, etc. Then again, if you aren't happy, you only invested a dollar!

If it's only for one event, go for it. It might not stay on as well though. Use a primer or something. But I would def do it to save money if it's something I know I wont use a whole bunch.

Excellent advice from you all! Thank you.

I didn't get it at the dollar store since my local one was out of purple (harumpf), so I will check out these others. TY!

There is not really a single "dollar store" brand, at any given dollar store on any given day, you never know which brands they will have.

I wouldn't worry about any of them making you go blind, whether you buy it at the dollar store, the drugstore or a department store, and while I know that the industry prefers that we all throw away all our eyeshadow and everything else every few weeks and buy all new, I still have - and sometimes use - eye shadow I bought in 1965, and it has not "gone bad" yet.

So I would say it all depends on how the individual eye shadow looks on you.

All these considerations, however, are related to the eyeshadow in a purely functional sense.

Our old friend the "Dream vs Cream" principle has always been the cornerstone of cosmetics marketing, so if you are buying the eyeshadow not just for the purpose of enhancing the beauty of your eyes, but in order to receive a psychological benefit because of an association of a particular brand with status, or a celebrity or designer you admire, you have to take that into consideration.

Even if it only costs a dollar, if you think you might feel uncomfortable - or just not as good - using it as you will a more expensive brand, I would say spend the dollar on something else!

Dry cosmetics don't really "go bad" the way wet ones too, so you don't have to worry too much about powder eye shadow. As long as you are the only one that uses it you can keep it indefinitely. The product can't even be sold in the US if it's dangerous or contaminated, so I wouldn't worry about going blind or whatever. Pigment may not be as strong in cheap eyeshadow but it probably isn't that much difference if you are blending anyway.