Dog's biological clock?

MiuMiow

O.G.
May 6, 2008
Does your dog have a biological clock? Ours seems to have developed an inner-alarm quite suddenly and he's set it to a time which has nothing to do with his regular routines. I have listened outside even for what could be setting him off but nothing there. So strange, so accurate (withint two minutes of the same time each day, for two weeks now).

Oh and there is no shutting him up, we have tried to ignore it (we want a lie-in once a week) but he just gets to howling and howling.

I read the thread title and was thinking it would be about a dog's desire to reproduce! I dated an idiot once that was convinced that neutering/spaying was wrong, because it took away a dog's ability to parent. :rolleyes:

On topic, my dog does not do this though.

between 6:30 am and 6:45 moses does this every morning.... it never fails! he is up and ready to start the day.... and then we will take him out and and he will come inside and run around like mad man for like 30 mins and then will take a 1 to 2 hour nap!

My dachshund puppy Emma has been a constant whiner since day 1. She and our other dog are kept crated at night and when she gets up in the morning she starts to whine so we can let her out. We've learned to let Emma whine and cause a fuss and not answer to it. Then, when she stops we'll take her out. It's like a child throwing a tantrum really. You can't let them train you to come at their beck and call.

Emma's gotten much better as of late but when it happens it's very inconsistent because we put them to bed at random times of the night. We've found that putting them to bed as late as possible keeps them sleeping through most of the morning!