Dog sitter lost my dog!!!!

Aug 2, 2006
I am so pissed, I was only gone for four days, when my plane landed I called the dog sitter and stated I will be picking up my dogs in 45 minutes or so. 30 minutes before I got there, he opened the door for UPS and my Chihuahua bolted out. This was at 1:30 p.m. yesterday. Its was about 39 degrees out last night and raining. We searched until 11:00 p.m. but no luck. While we were searching the streets there was 2 postal trucks out as well as UPS and FedEx, they were also keeping an eye out for my dog, but they never saw her. Also there were quite a few people out walking their dogs and they also never saw her. I am beyond pissed off, I mean I know accidents happen but the sitter was being paid to take care of my dogs. I have an add posted on craigslist as well as a picture at the my local Human Society.

Help, what can I do?

Oh my god. I'm so sorry this happened to you. I am pissed off for you.

Did you let the dogsitter know what had happened? If he/she was through an agency, they might have some solutions you haven't thought of. Even if not through an agency, the dogsitter should drop everything and search for your dog.

On top of what you're doing now... maybe ask around your neighbors if they have seen your dog?

I hope you find your dog soon!

Put out signs EVERYWHERE with your phone number and brief description of your pup. Also, I would put "Reward" or "Cash Reward" on the signs.

Contact EVERY rescue, shelter, etc. that you can. Put up fliers in PetsMart and other pet stores in your area. Maybe even go to your local news station.

A few weeks ago, I bought little dog tags to put on my Chi's harnesses. They say the dog's name, by cell phone number, and "reward" just in case they ever got away from me.

Good luck!

That is horrible...I'm so sorry this happened. Was she wearing her collar with any kind of identification? What about a microchip? I think the best thing to do is to drive around that neighborhood and let people know about what happened so that even if they haven't seen her, they will keep an eye out for her. Leave your phone number with as many people as you can. Hopefully, someone sweet person found her and is keeping her warm until she is claimed.

I really hope that you find her soon. Please keep us posted.

Help, what can I do?

I am so sorry!

Go to www.petfinders.com
and post a description. Also read the "found" section. Call the vet offices in your area and ask if you can post notices in their office.

Post signs everywhere in your neighborhood.

Check with the Humane Society everyday. They should call you if your pet is turned into them, but just to make sure, call anyway.

I'm praying for a safe return of your doggie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no!!! I would be freaking out. Did the sitter try to immediately go after the dog? One time when I lived in a house, the gardeners left the gates open and two of my dogs got out, they went to a neighbors house together. Thank god I got a call 15 minutes later. I hope you find your baby.

I have a bunch of signs posted, as well as notified the human society. She is micro chipped but the info is not updated. I called to see what I can do to update this info, and they stated they need to actually scan the chip or I must have the chip number in order to update my info. [FONT=&quot]Unfortunately, [/FONT]I cannot find the original chip paper, as its well over 4 years since she got chipped.