Does vintage Evelyne I (non-adjustable strap) have less value than Evelyne III, especially in bland colors?

The Evelyne equestrian tool saddle bag actually had three versions: the current Evelyne III has an adjustable strap and an external pocket, the older Evelyne II has the external pocket and non-adjustable strap, and the original Evelyne I has neither.

My question is, does a vintage Evelyne I (and the II for that matter) have a much lower value than the current Evelyne III on resale, especially in a more bland color like black or dark brown? This is because the right length of strap can make it so much more comfortable to use daily, allowing its use as a cross body wear and preventing it from going down to a girl's knees.

I'm an odd Evelyne buyer in that I'm male. My understanding is, women would love to have the cute little Evelyne TPM 16, or the extra large and much rarer Evelyn TGM 40 which approaches LV Neverfull levels of utility, if much less cute. While I'd also love to own a TGM 40, the more common GM 33 hits a sweet spot for me. It's roughly the size of a medium size messenger bag not intended to hold a laptop, so it is perfect for short walks to the neighborhood cafe. It comfortable holds an e-reader, tablet or book, a travel umbrella, a small water bottle, and your wallet, keys, phone, etc. Even a windbreaker.

The Evelyne I GM 33's short and non-adjustable strap means a man definitely cannot wear it cross-body, only on one shoulder. But again, this is fine for short walks that will go nowhere near a day of errands in three different parts of the city or as a travel bag for 8 hours of nonstop walking.

I randomly browsed a pre-loved store looking for something else when I noticed they had three Evelyne GM 33s and one PM 29. One was a Evelyne I GM 33 in black Clemence, the one with a non-adjustable strap and no external pocket. It was surprisingly made in 1997, but looked like it was kept safely in a dust bag for almost 30 years, as it was pristine without any scratches or any hint of wear. Again, this size is the most difficult to use, but fine for the use I described above. The other three were in bright colors like a red that approached hot pink. (This was an established, reputable store and I have no doubt about authenticity, although the bag only came with a dust bag and the original receipt was supposedly lost.)

The store manager eventually offered it to me for US$2,450 (with very minimal haggling) and I honestly think he was a bit eager to get rid of it and might have gone a little lower after I pointed out it was actually an Evelyne I (he assured me it could be worn cross body then his face fell when he made me wear it and he realized it was the non-adjustable strap).

So does the Evelyne I (and II) tend to have a lower resale value, especially in the more bland colors and especially for bags that are decades old? And was the above a not-so-good deal (although if I'm happy then I'm happy, right)?

And are the PM 29 and especially the GM 33 much less desired sizes? (The four bags I mention were on a bottom shelf in the store, though still visible.)

Apologies in advance, I'm a clueless male buyer who knows nothing about buying Hermes bags outside the above narrow interest in the Evelyne for use as a book bag and I could not find any related discussion in old threads.

Yes, it prices lower in the secondary market. A browse of Sold listings on eBay will help you see pricing across sizes, generations of Evelyne, and specific markets.

The red flag I see here is that if you know nothing about Hermes and are considering the resale market, be extremely cautious and get anything you're considering authenticated.

Last edited:
Thanks. Thing with the Evelyne on eBay is bags are not necessarily labeled right and there's a range given some bags sold are quite beat up. Then bags sold elsewhere seem a bit higher.

I honestly can't interpret the eBay completed listings, might someone knowledgeable hazard a guess how much you'd discount an Evelyne I versus an Evelyne III assuming condition is the same?

Not that crazy in that the reseller is reputable (with respect to authenticity) and I have another Evelyne I in another color on hand. I just have no idea how to search recent prices although it may be moot. What I'm trying to say is I have much less familiarity with Birkins and Kellys.

IMO, I agree with JellyV, the prices are lower for the I and the II as opposed to the current gen of Evelyne- most likely by them just simply being older (a lot of buyers tend to want newer/ like newer). That being said, it seems to be a fair price; however, I too also recommend getting the bag authenticated as well.

To answer your other question, I would say that I tend to see more 29s out in the world as opposed to 16s or 33s but this is solely my own observations. The 29 is personally my favorite size because it’s very comfortable- not too small not too big :smile:

As a side note: One other tip I do have is to always look at H stores when traveling, especially to Europe. I’ve gotten lucky twice just by asking and the cost to get a brand new 29 is only approximately $500 more (in Euros with VAT refund) than what the preowned 33 would cost you. They do still make 33s, but from what I’ve read, they’re not as readily available/ popular so it all comes down to luck. I tend to find that the Evelyne as a whole, does hold its value really well so I’ve only ever purchased them in store. I hope this helps :smile: and remember, take your time to think about it. It’s a big purchase and you don’t want to have any second thoughts!

Reactions: jellyv
IMO, I agree with JellyV, the prices are lower for the I and the II as opposed to the current gen of Evelyne- most likely by them just simply being older (a lot of buyers tend to want newer/ like newer). That being said, it seems to be a fair price; however, I too also recommend getting the bag authenticated as well.

To answer your other question, I would say that I tend to see more 29s out in the world as opposed to 16s or 33s but this is solely my own observations. The 29 is personally my favorite size because it’s very comfortable- not too small not too big :smile:

As a side note: One other tip I do have is to always look at H stores when traveling, especially to Europe. I’ve gotten lucky twice just by asking and the cost to get a brand new 29 is only approximately $500 more (in Euros with VAT refund) than what the preowned 33 would cost you. They do still make 33s, but from what I’ve read, they’re not as readily available/ popular so it all comes down to luck. I tend to find that the Evelyne as a whole, does hold its value really well so I’ve only ever purchased them in store. I hope this helps :smile: and remember, take your time to think about it. It’s a big purchase and you don’t want to have any second thoughts!
^^^^ This.

The Evelyne I doesn't have a pocket, which is a fairly big deal in terms of usability, but/also the majority of buyers prefer newer bags. "Bland" colors is kind of inapplicable, as neutrals will always sell.

The Evelyne is also one of those bags that still maintains a really large price difference between the Eurozone and ROW. I'm always seeing preowned Evies in the US that are priced way way above European retail.

Reactions: pinky7