Does the brass on your LV's tarnish within a year? What to do?

Have the brass components on your LV started to tarnish?

• Yes

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

dexter123

Nov 22, 2015
i can't stand paying a couple grand for a bag and the brass hardware gets dirty and worn off in about a year! It is no longer gold. I am so frustrated. My Siena GM is one year old and it is starting; my 3 year old Palermo PM is just geting worse.
Brasso gets off the dirt, but the brass never returns to its shiny gold self.

Any help on this one? How to stop this from happening? Am I alone on this issue? Makes me want to sell my bags before they get bad!!
Waaaaahhhh!!

Reactions: obsessedwb
i can't stand paying a couple grand for a bag and the brass hardware gets dirty and worn off in about a year! It is no longer gold. I am so frustrated. My Siena GM is one year old and it is starting; my 3 year old Palermo PM is just geting worse.
Brasso gets off the dirt, but the brass never returns to its shiny gold self.

Any help on this one? How to stop this from happening? Am I alone on this issue? Makes me want to sell my bags before they get bad!!
Waaaaahhhh!!
LV hasn't been using brass for the majority of its bags/slgs for about the last 10(ish) years or so, instead its just coated metal. They no doubt did this because not only is coated metal cheaper but it's also lighter in weight; if you look at some older items from around the late 90's/early 00's you'll see that they do have brass and that it gets a green crust as it oxidizes (probably another reason LV switched).
As for your hardware you can try a gentle acidic solution of 1 part lemon or orange juice to 3 parts water, apply with a q-tip, allow to sit for a minute or so, wipe off with a slightly damp cloth, and then dry with a soft towel.

Last edited:
Mine tarnish so badly and my bag is not even a year old yet. I notice LV have different hardware for different price range of bags. I see this happen to monogram icon bags like alma, speedy etc. Flandrin, Kensington, kimono have totally different hardware. It is sad, I'm now avoiding a couple of bags that I actually love to have

Reactions: obsessedwb
Mine tarnish so badly and my bag is not even a year old yet. I notice LV have different hardware for different price range of bags. I see this happen to monogram icon bags like alma, speedy etc. Flandrin, Kensington, kimono have totally different hardware. It is sad, I'm now avoiding a couple of bags that I actually love to have

Did you notice out of the aforementioned bags that the latter bags in your list- like the Kensington and Kimono-that they actually stay gold? I'm curious. Thank you!

Did you notice out of the aforementioned bags that the latter bags in your list- like the Kensington and Kimono-that they actually stay gold? I'm curious. Thank you!
I currently own a Flandrin. Before i decided to buy Flandrin, I was actively comparing it against Kensington. I can vouch it is completely different material, feel and shine as compared to my alma monogram. Scrutinise your hardware before making your purchase because it is not the same to avoid disappointment. So far, I have no issue with Flandrin hardware & i use it daily, don't get me started on my alma, it is such a heartache.

Last edited:
Hello all, I am new here but not new to LV (my bank will confirm this!!!) Anyhow, just wondering if anyone has any good cleaning tips to restore the gold coloured topcoat if its already tarnished or looks silver? Miss Krys mentioned lemon and water, does this restore the gold colour or just make it look shiny again if the topcoat hasn't already come off? Biggest problem I have had is on Cles pochette- because of using them daily they have got more battered!

It depends on the hardware. But often, I can revive tarnished hardware with a simple buffing. If the plating in chipped, you are out of luck.

However, keep in mind that Louis Vuitton will replace most zipper pulls for free, and that's often the most damaged hardware part (because it bangs on the zipper itself). If that's the case, you can take your item to your store and they can often do it on the spot if they have the hardware in stock.