Does the Boy bag retain value, yes or no? Mixed messages.

themeanreds

be. here. now.
Apr 15, 2014
So I really love the Boy bag and I know that some people really can't stand the design and others really love it. But my question is more to do with mixed messages I have seen and what I'm actually finding on the pre-owned market when it comes to this bag. I've heard both here on the forum and on YouTube and in FB groups that the Boy bag does not have good re-sale value, even likening it to Dior bags which I do see very often going for more than half off of retail prices on the pre-owned market. And yes, I do know that bags are not investments and that a purchase should not be based entirely on whether or not you can sell the bag for what you paid for or for more after you have used it yourself.

I'm asking more from the point of view of someone who would like to purchase one, but would love to save some money and because I hear that it doesn't hold it's value, I then expect to see some great prices on the pre-owned market, but when I'm actually looking, I see that it sells for very close to retail.... I'm including some pics I pulled today from FB buy/sell groups, Fashionphile, Yoogi's, and Rebag. On the higher end it's selling in the mid 4000's and lower end in the low 3000's. These are all the "old medium" size and in excellent, very good or gently used condition. I know prices vary due to seasonal colors or the type of leather, but I just don't see how the statements of this bag not having good re-sale value are true?? What does everyone think? Wouldn't I just be better off buying new if I ever decide to buy this bag? (I'm between a Boy and a reissue for a future purchase). Or is the $1500+ savings on the lower end a good savings??

Current retail is $4900
Picture8.png

Pre-owned examples - higher end prices:
Picture4.png
Picture3.png
Picture5.png
Picture6.png

Pre-owned examples - lower end prices:
Publication1.png

Attachments

• Picture8.png
    Picture8.png
    88.1 KB · Views: 613
As a person who sold both (boy and reissue) I can tell you a few things
- the hit you're going to take on reissue is massive. I've sold mine (226 and so black 225) to an established European reseller (after failing to market sensibly in Vestiaire) with a loss of more than £1500 each ($2k, both rather new and with full package). Haven't sold the boy to her so don't know
- bags are not investment as you said; there is some fantasy that you can earn money or not lose money on (some) Chanel /Hermes bags. Not sure it's the case these days- maybe if you bought them in 2010. Now market is pretty saturated, buyers are not stupid (sorry for being explicit) and won't be keen to buy a classic flap (not to mention a reissue) close to retail. When adding consignment fees (I wouldn't dare to sell myself on instagram or Ebay after being almost scammed) then you're at a major loss. Trust me - I've just learnt bitter lesson on Hermes: black non-vintage Kelly 32 in excellent condition (to be sold to fund a new Kelly from a store as bizarrely was offered a new after purchasing pre-owned) and I'm at a loss of £2k (so not selling). Resellers/consignment stores are like sharks - Designer Exchange was planning to make almost £3k profit (close to $4k) on my Kelly lol
- you can maybe earn or not to lose much if you buy pre-owned. I did that and lost a bit but felt like cost of wearing for a while
- Chanel (whether it's reissue or boy) are still going to sell fairly quickly and you'll get at least 50% out of it. Try selling Celine or Chloe (i did try lol - brand new as it was an impulse purchase and all i can get is barely 30%)

I'd go for a bag you like. Wear it, keep the receipt and the box, look after it and then if you really have to sell, you'll get some nice residual value to purchase another bag and your cost per wear will go down.

Totally agree!
Honestly. Even Birkin does not hold its Value unless I paid for it in Euros and after the exchange rate n refund... then maybe yeah. Otherwise, gone were the days of INVESTMENT bags. I've own and sold Boy n Classic Flap.. and I got lesser for Boy and tad more for CF maybe because I bought the CF in 2011 when it cost much lesser then... but I think proper Investment channel will yield higher returns given a 8yr period.
The only BOY that I see is still hanging on its Value is the Mermaid Boy in purple. Even the green mermaid is not as popular.

Reactions: EmilyM111