Does canvas always crack as time goes by

timothywj91

Feb 20, 2009
Hi guys! I have an LV wallet I got as a gift while recovering from spinal surgery four years ago. It's really special to me and I have taken such great care of it and I noticed a small crack on the bottom of the wallet on the canvas. My question to you is: does canvas always crack over time? Has anyone had a wallet that they use every day for four years that hasn't cracked at all? I know it's pointless to go back to LV.. I'm just hoping to get some info/peace of mind...

I think it's inevitable for canvas to crack on certain areas of items that experience a wide range of flex/movement, such as the bottoms of folding wallets and the edges near a flap opening.

It will only crack if you don't keep up with the glazing. Think of it as a car that needs maintenance and oil changes. I inspect my wallets every month or two. If the glazing is wearing, they go in to the spa for reglazing. It's much cheaper than buying new wallets. The glazing has to wear off in order for them to actually crack in the canvas, whether they bend a lot or not. If you're at all hard on your things and don't get them reglazed, they will crack. Even if you take good care, the glazing is just painted on. It needs to be examined and checked and kept in good repair.

I've had my PTI wallet over 15 years. It's been reglazed several times, but looks brand new. There are no cracks at all. Just recently had it hotstamped as well. You just need to keep on top of it is all.

Yeah I've had it re-glazed before and there is no need to re-glaze it at this point. There is a generous amount of glaze on there already. I suppose it's probably just from having it in my front pocket all the time. Sigh..

Yeah I've had it re-glazed before and there is no need to re-glaze it at this point. There is a generous amount of glaze on there already. I suppose it's probably just from having it in my front pocket all the time. Sigh..

If it's just a tiny crack - it's probably still got a lot of life left. Doubtful it will get bigger; they usually don't. I'd just continue to use it until it dies, especially if it means a lot to you.