Docride's Hermes vintage bag nightmares & Hermes leather care

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I know and understand that scratches on your beautiful Hermes bags can feel devastating especially the first ones... conditioners and lotions can sometimes make scratches look less noticeable, but they don't make them go away completely. If you are turning the bag and seeing a scratch by looking at it under light at certain angles then ... "you are too close" Your bag should be viewed from 3 feet away... and look at it as a whole. Because this is how and from such a distance it is viewed by on lookers. You can certainly try your conditioner but always test a small hidden area and see if you like how the product reacts with your leather before treating larger visible areas.
Good luck, doc

Hi Doc, thank you so much for your reply. The scratch became more invisible by using the Moly perfect gel. I can still see it under a certain angle, but as you said, I'm too close to the bag:smile: Happy with the result.

Just want to know if I can use this same product as a conditioner on Swife, Evercolor, Togo and/or Clemence bags? Or those leathers doesn't need conditioning? Thank you so much again for your kind reply and time.

Hi Doc, thank you so much for your reply. The scratch became more invisible by using the Moly perfect gel. I can still see it under a certain angle, but as you said, I'm too close to the bag:smile: Happy with the result.

Just want to know if I can use this same product as a conditioner on Swife, Evercolor, Togo and/or Clemence bags? Or those leathers doesn't need conditioning? Thank you so much again for your kind reply and time.

You can test your products on a small hidden area , I do not wish to be quoted on stating I recommend the product you are using because I have never used it.
The leathers you asked about, these are modern tanned finished leathers which are produced specifically to be low maintenance , with that in mind they can use a cleaning and light conditioning as a mater of course if the bag gets dirty a (non oily and non waxy) light lotion cleaner & conditioner combination type product would be ideal for these sorts of leathers. Suffice to say , cleaning and conditioning a modern finished leather too often can be harmful and can actually break down and remove the finish if done too often and or with excessive pressure and undo rubbing. And most importantly never use baby wipes on your finished leathers...
All the best,doc

Sorry, my post isn't really a question or anything as my Kelly has yet to arrive.. but I just have to say this..

Doc, u are truly truly a nice person! I just joined this morning as I am intending to purchase a Kelly (however, i subsequently purchased a Kelly an hour ago on eBay).. so anyway as I was scrolling through the forum, I chanced upon this thread and realised you are giving advice to anyone who asks u about problems with their vintage bag. I was telling my bf that I'm truly amazed such nice ppl exist. Kudos to u doc!

Ps: I hope the Kelly I bought an hour ago won't really have any major wear and tear.

You can test your products on a small hidden area , I do not wish to be quoted on stating I recommend the product you are using because I have never used it.
The leathers you asked about, these are modern tanned finished leathers which are produced specifically to be low maintenance , with that in mind they can use a cleaning and light conditioning as a mater of course if the bag gets dirty a (non oily and non waxy) light lotion cleaner & conditioner combination type product would be ideal for these sorts of leathers. Suffice to say , cleaning and conditioning a modern finished leather too often can be harmful and can actually break down and remove the finish if done too often and or with excessive pressure and undo rubbing. And most importantly never use baby wipes on your finished leathers...
All the best,doc
Hi Docride, thank you so much! You are really nice and helpful❤️ I'll keep your suggestions in mind, especially the baby wipe one:smile: Hope you have a very nice day!

Hello there sapphire 26
Thank you for your kind words
truly
How exciting awaiting your Kelly to arrive. Please do come back to visit and share again
Feel free to ask a question or for some help
I will do my best to assist you
Doc

Hi Doc,
I purchased my first K box in Indigo and it's from 2000. I'm not really familiar with how box leather will wear and age with time, so I'm wondering if this K is in a decent condition and it's a normal wear to expect?
I'm accustomed with scratches and scuffs on box leather since I have a classic Celine box bag, but their structures are different. I've seen older K boxes that hold their shape/structure really well, as if they're still new; this bag is quite young compared to those. What caused the leather to become less structured like this--the leather looks 'wavy'? Is it overstuffing or just general wear? Would the bag hold its shape better in the future if I stuff it properly when not in use?
Also, I think the leather is a little dry on the sides where the leather folds as I noticed that the color is lighter. How should I treat it? What leather conditioner do you recommend?
Here are some pictures:
IMG_1222.JPG
IMG_1226.JPG
IMG_1224.JPG
Thanks for your time! I really appreciate the help and advice since I'm a box leather newbie and I'm hoping to keep the bag in good shape for a long time :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hermezzy and dharma
Hi Doc,
I purchased my first K box in Indigo and it's from 2000. I'm not really familiar with how box leather will wear and age with time, so I'm wondering if this K is in a decent condition and it's a normal wear to expect?
I'm accustomed with scratches and scuffs on box leather since I have a classic Celine box bag, but their structures are different. I've seen older K boxes that hold their shape/structure really well, as if they're still new; this bag is quite young compared to those. What caused the leather to become less structured like this--the leather looks 'wavy'? Is it overstuffing or just general wear? Would the bag hold its shape better in the future if I stuff it properly when not in use?
Also, I think the leather is a little dry on the sides where the leather folds as I noticed that the color is lighter. How should I treat it? What leather conditioner do you recommend?
Here are some pictures:
View attachment 3604021
View attachment 3604081
View attachment 3604097
Thanks for your time! I really appreciate the help and advice since I'm a box leather newbie and I'm hoping to keep the bag in good shape for a long time [emoji2]
Stunning to me

Hi Doc,
Here are some pictures:
View attachment 3604021
View attachment 3604081
View attachment 3604097
Thanks for your time! I really appreciate the help and advice since I'm a box leather newbie and I'm hoping to keep the bag in good shape for a long time :smile:
I DIE for this bag :cloud9:

Reactions: H. for H.
View attachment 3605283
Blue Jean Clemente from a vintage Tsako - is there anything that can be done?

Thanks so much for your help!!
Hi there, Sure a small amount of matched color restorer could be applied and bended in and presto all fix :smile: There are many good companies which make a color restorer or leather paint , try Tarrago, angelus, ReNu, Leather Stuff recolorant.. find some colors to custom mix.. or google for a handbags color touch up kit.
Or send it to spa ad they'll do it for you.
OK?
All the best,doc

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
Hi Doc,
Here are some pictures:
View attachment 3604021
View attachment 3604081
View attachment 3604097
Hellothere ,
Your Kelly it looks lovely,what a special find. As for the sides havin some color loss or dryiness try conditioning the bag and see if the sides look less light if not some color restorer could help. You can choose any number of very good products such as Sapphir renovant,Meltionian Baulm,Tarrago Neutral cream,or google for a spa Kit for restoring Vintage bags .
As for stuffing or in stuffing and al whle lot of information on what makes bags slouch and stretch ...suffice say its lots of things which contribute that. However a smaller Box Calf bag in sellier style really shouldn't e one to worry about slouching in future.. of course don't over stuff it .. and always store it in its closed up postion in its dust bag and on its back .
I hope this helps?

All the best,doc

Reactions: bubbletrouble
Hello Doc,
Thank you for the world of information you have been offering to the community. I am new to Hermes, and reading your posts is really helpful!
This is my newest addition, 1979 Kelly 32 Rouge H in Box Calf. She looks great to me except for a few areas where the leather looks dry and faded. (The draw straps, corner of top flap)
Reading the posts you just answered above, should I try hydrating/conditioning them with Saphirr Renovant, Meltonian Baulm, or Tarrago Neutral Cream like you suggested?
I plan to use this Kelly regularly for a year or so before sending it to Hermes spa for refurbishing.
Do you think using the leather creams above will help with the dryness until then?
Thank you so much for your thoughts!
IMG_5689.JPG IMG_5691.JPG IMG_5692.JPG IMG_5632.JPG

Last edited:
Hi docride... What an amazing thread. Such a wealth of information. Thank you!

I am seeking your advise re water marks on a Box Kelly. Recent I came across a 30 yr old Kelly in a Box leather colour and size that are on my wish list. Overall condition of the bag is good except for the water marks. There are some water marks on the back and bottom of the bag. The back has a few 3-5mm diameter spots and the bottom has one approx. 10mm spot. Photos are attached.

I understand that water marks are permanent. Is there any way to improve them? If no, while I understand that the acceptability of water marks are different for different users, what are your thoughts on a bag with them?

IMG_1487518570.394710.jpgIMG_1487518583.070891.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.