Docride's Hermes Lazarus Thread (can this Hermes be Saved? )

Hello,
This epsom bag should spa up nicely ,what a pretty color! . I think the VN would have been one spot after another as that is the nature of it and probably not making you happy. In fact I would not spend anther moment in regret.
Condition is subjective, 95% new? What does that even mean? Anyhow, epsom will be much easier t carry and enjoy than a VN bag that is for sure.
All the best doc
PS> Step 3 feet away from your bag now look at it... this is the way you should see your bag in totality
After all, this is the way others see it when you wear it.
Thankyou for the reassurance doc! I was able to get a partial refund to cover about 1/3 of the repair cost; now to decide on H spa which will take 3-6months or Leather Surgeons [emoji848] You are right i may not have been satisfied with VN but definitely still lusting for a heritage leather kelly bag in Barenia or VN hopefully the right bag to tick off my wishlist will appear on day!

Hi Doc!
I am looking into buying this Sac a Depeche 34cm, and I was wondering how much of the scratches/marks can be fixed by taking the bag to the Hermes spa. As you can see in the pictures, some of the scratches are superficial while some of them are deep. I've read contrasting stories of box leather and the Hermes spa (from magical to barely made a difference in regards to scratches), so I would love to hear you expertise before i make the decision to buy the bag. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 529
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 529
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 530
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 524
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 527
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 533
Hi Doc,
I have fallen in love with box and understand it requires a lot of care, which I'm happy to give it, and would like your opinion on these 2 bags - One is pre 70s and the other is 80s. For vintage, to my untrained eye they seem in very good shape so, in your opinion, which of the 2 do you think is the better option or are both worth considering/not considering? Could the hardware be polished to a better state or the creases in the leather be smoothed out? Thank you so much for your time.

https://www.collectorsquare.com/en/...-handbag-in-navy-blue-box-leather-330740.html

https://www.collectorsquare.com/en/...-handbag-in-dark-blue-box-leather-343036.html

Last edited:
Hi , I’d clean the bag first then have a look afterward
A conditioner may or may not make this more or less noticeable no guarantees
That line is over the pocket seam inside correct ? So the bag might be a bit stretched there as well
It’s hard to tell from the photos but it looks like you have some dirt or color transfer or rubbed area on the back of the bag ? (The last of Which would be normal )
Sometimes just cleaning can help move the oils around and give you a more even appearance
I would Never recommend trying to spot treat barenia.

All the best doc

Just wanted to give you an update and a BIG thanks! I ordered a spa kit from ebay and cleaned/conditioned my baby last night and i would say the faded white look is at least 80% improved!!!! I had been cleaning with Lexol wipes periodically but never thought to condition the leather as well. What a difference! I will be regularly conditioning my barenia after cleaning from now on. Also, so glad I didn’t just “go for it” with the greasy leather Saphir cream. That stuff scares me. I spot tested a small area on the back of the flap and it definitely darkens the leather.

Many thanks Doc!!

Hi Doc!
I am looking into buying this Sac a Depeche 34cm, and I was wondering how much of the scratches/marks can be fixed by taking the bag to the Hermes spa. As you can see in the pictures, some of the scratches are superficial while some of them are deep. I've read contrasting stories of box leather and the Hermes spa (from magical to barely made a difference in regards to scratches), so I would love to hear you expertise before i make the decision to buy the bag. Thanks in advance!

Hey there,
What a beautiful sac depeche! The leather looks quite dry when the leather has been well conditioned the whole bag will present much better the scratches will look less noticeable
Polish can help as well
Do understand that scratches remain but will look less noticeable.
All the best doc

Hi Doc,
I have fallen in love with box and understand it requires a lot of care, which I'm happy to give it, and would like your opinion on these 2 bags - One is pre 70s and the other is 80s. For vintage, to my untrained eye they seem in very good shape so, in your opinion, which of the 2 do you think is the better option or are both worth considering/not considering? Could the hardware be polished to a better state or the creases in the leather be smoothed out? Thank you so much for your time.

https://www.collectorsquare.com/en/...-handbag-in-navy-blue-box-leather-330740.html

https://www.collectorsquare.com/en/...-handbag-in-dark-blue-box-leather-343036.html

Hello there,
The first bag seems to be in a bit better shape
Hardware can be polished or replaced
Probably you are not going to get a crease flattened out again
I hope I e answered you questions ?
All the best , doc

Reactions: labb8
Hi doc,

I would love to get your opinion on this bag. It’s a Clemence leather and the leather on the shoulder strap looks like it’s cut. Is there a way to spa it? Or is it a goner?

Also wondering if spa would improve the corners, the resin edging on the flap and the tarnished turnlock.

Many thanks in advance for taking the time to help. :smile:

Hello there,
This bag looks off to me , do you have more photos ? Are you thinking about purchasing or you purchased this bag? If you have not purchased it I would say pass. If you have purchased the bag have it checked by an expert.
All the best doc
PS> The area you refer to is not a cut per say it is the normal way the leather comes together on all Hermes straps.

Last edited:
Hi Doc!

I have been doing lots of research lately in order to help me decide what to look for in a vintage box calf Kelly. I keep getting directed to your advice and am so impressed and grateful for all your post and the knowledge you share with everyone.

I’m currently contemplating this bag but I’m not sure if the state of the leather is something I can improve or if I should continue my search. I would love your input.

Thank you in advance

https://www.fashionphile.com/hermes...MIp6Xi6art2QIVgcDICh0-7AUVEAQYAyABEgL-rfD_BwE

Hey there, this bag is lovely ! I like it very much and it should spa up beautiful . You can do this yourself or send it to Hermes
The main thing to do is get this bag well conditioned .
I hope this helped?
Doc

Hello there,
This bag looks off to me , do you have more photos ? Are you thinking about purchasing or you purchased this bag? If you have not purchased it I would say pass. If you have purchased the bag have it checked by an expert.
All the best doc
PS> The area you refer to is not a cut per say it is the normal way the leather comes together on all Hermes straps.
Thanks for getting back to me Doc. I decided to pass on it as it didn’t look quite right to me :smile:

Hi doc, I just purchased my first preloved Kelly. There are a few white marks on it and I was wondering if you have any advice on how to treat it, or if I should just leave it alone. It’s in a swift leather. Thank you so much for your time :smile:

Attachments

• 1C8C9529-C757-4A43-A813-48FE0CAD3836.jpeg
    1C8C9529-C757-4A43-A813-48FE0CAD3836.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 401
  • 16AF3E0A-171B-445E-9FA6-5B89DCE3750D.jpeg
    16AF3E0A-171B-445E-9FA6-5B89DCE3750D.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 400
Hey there,
What a beautiful sac depeche! The leather looks quite dry when the leather has been well conditioned the whole bag will present much better the scratches will look less noticeable
Polish can help as well
Do understand that scratches remain but will look less noticeable.
All the best doc
Thanks for your reply, Doc! I have unfortunately already passed on the bag, and it was sold to another person.. :sad: However, I will keep ur advice in mind when I am looking at another vintage box bag!

Thanks for your reply, Doc! I have unfortunately already passed on the bag, and it was sold to another person.. :sad: However, I will keep ur advice in mind when I am looking at another vintage box bag!

Hello again ,
Don’t despair now you’ll have an eye for what’s going to improve :smile:
The key thing is to make sure the bag isn’t cracking or shrunken from periods of extended dryness . Check stitching look at the stitch holes if you see tiny white lines it might be a sign of shrinkage and dryness.
I’ll try and show an example
Another key place to look is inside the bag is the lining warped or pulling away ?
Do the folds and bends have stress lines and or fine cracks ?
Is the finished surface smooth or looks like a very tiny cracks or raised bumps ?
So many things to look for besides a few light surface scratches which in box calf in a dark leather will usually look a lot better after spa :smile:
I hope this helps
All the best and happy hunting
Your bag is out there!
Doc

Hello again ,
Don’t despair now you’ll have an eye for what’s going to improve :smile:
The key thing is to make sure the bag isn’t cracking or shrunken from periods of extended dryness . Check stitching look at the stitch holes if you see tiny white lines it might be a sign of shrinkage and dryness.
I’ll try and show an example
Another key place to look is inside the bag is the lining warped or pulling away ?
Do the folds and bends have stress lines and or fine cracks ?
Is the finished surface smooth or looks like a very tiny cracks or raised bumps ?
So many things to look for besides a few light surface scratches which in box calf in a dark leather will usually look a lot better after spa :smile:
The key thing with vintage is to realize right off it’s going to have some signs of use and age and how to weigh out the pros and cons of the bag as well as the price point to find the bast bag for your buck so to speak
I hope this helps
All the best and happy hunting
Your bag is out there!
Doc

Hello everyone
I'm back after the summer and I'm starting a new thread or two to help me help you
First up is this thread
The Docride's Hermes Lazarus thread
Here you can post questions and links and photos of Hermes leather bags and accessories and ask if they can be restored fixed or used as a planter ?
I look forward to answering your questions
All the best doc
Hi Docride, I stumbled upon your threads today about leather care and treatments and am just amazed at your wealth of knowledge! I got this beautiful vintage black box Kelly and while there are no cracks on the leather, the overall bag looks very good, there’re these wrinkles on the side (as if the bag has been pressed down on this area if you know what I mean) - I attached some close up photos here. It looks worse on close up under strong direct lighting than it is in reality or when worn on the arm.

My question is: is there anything I can do to lessen the look of these wrinkles? Are they inevitable or is it because someone has actually mistreated this bag in the past which caused the wrinkles?

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Attachments

• FFD00745-75D6-4190-8690-A5DDA9D1E608.jpeg
    FFD00745-75D6-4190-8690-A5DDA9D1E608.jpeg
    118.8 KB · Views: 400
  • 2E308F6A-46FB-43C4-BD32-F63B2214B55C.jpeg
    2E308F6A-46FB-43C4-BD32-F63B2214B55C.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 408
  • A3526C73-7D63-4FD7-A8C1-0EA1AE5C461C.jpeg
    A3526C73-7D63-4FD7-A8C1-0EA1AE5C461C.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 403