Do Your Eyelids Get Dry From Makeup?

LissiSays

May 3, 2007
Last makeup question of the day for me:

So I use makeup everyday!

On my eyes I use:
- MAC Studio Fix Powder/Foundation
- Urban Decay Primer Potion (sometimes)
- Eyeshadow (different brands depending on the day and colors)
- L'Oreal HIP Eyeliner
- L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara

Lately I've been getting some sort of reaction on my eyelids. The space just above the crease on my eyelids has been irritated. It will either itch, be dry, peel/flake a little, hurt, feel sensitive, and/or be very pink (to the point that when I take off all my makeup, it looks as if I'm wearing pink eyeshadow). And this reaction doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it happens. Sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it lasts 1 day. Sometimes 3 days.

I don't know what is causing this. I have tried rotating products. I don't always use the MAC Studio Fix. Don't always use the Primer Potion. I use different brands of eyeshadow so can't link this to a specific one. The ONLY items that I use everyday are my eyeliner and mascara. But I don't see how that can cause a reaction 1/2 way up my eyelid.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do? Any suggestions? I really don't want to stop wearing makeup. I feel so naked without it.
:hysteric:

It definitely sounds like a reaction to something you're using! Maybe you could try a different brand of liner and mascara? Also, what do you use for skin care? Are you using a moisturizer or cream on your eyes?

That is so strange that you just mentioned this. I just noticed lately (past 3-4 days), that I started to get some weird irritation/bumps that are red around my eyelids, and in the area between my eyes and nose.

I can't really explain what caused it as I didnt really change my makeup routine at all.

I just decided to take a break from wearing any makeup for a while and see if anything improves. Since I remember that a few days before the irritation, I would go to sleep with makeup on after a long day, forgetting to wash my face.

Do you wash your face everyday, and take off your makeup everday?

Not on my lids, but my eyes get dry sometimes, especially if I'm wearing mascara. Have you bought any new products? Maybe you have a reaction to something in them.

Sometimes your eyelids just get 'worn out', believe me... I know because I use tons of eye makeup. I wear 4 MAC eyeshadows every day over a MAX paint pot, MAC liquid eyeliner, MAC prep and prime lashes, and MAC plush lash. So this has happened to me before, but i use these products to keep my eyelids hydrated and irritation free:
-The Body Shop's elderflower eye gel
-Clinique's redness solution urgent relief cream(for irritation and redness, I apply it on every day for prevention)
-L'Occitane's shea ultra rich eye balm

Gosh no! I have the opposite problem - my eyelids get super oily, even thought the rest of my skin is ok.

Do you think there's some kind of bacterial reaction? If you don't wash your brushes often, sometimes bacteria can breed on the brush and you end up reapplying it every day before your skin can get over it. This can also explain very localised reactions - here on your eyelids - while the rest of your skin has no problems at all...