Do you think that Chanel Costume Jewelry Is Worth The Price

Chanel jewelry has some beautiful designs, but there is much better out there.

If I'm going to spend four figures for costume, I would buy Solange Azagury-Partridge, Hanna Bernhard, Gripoix... Unfortunately, a lot of amazing costume jewelry designers folded in the mid-90s - fifteen years ago, I would have a better list! If I am going to spend serious money on costume jewelry, I want something I will still enjoy in 30 years.

Vintage Chanel is of better quality than modern - I do have some great pieces from the 70s which look newer than the pieces from two years ago.

Why do you think that happened? Did people just stop buying costume? Did it go out of fashion?

I love costume jewelry, but I buy only vintage. The quality on all the brands, both high and low-end, seems to have gone down, down, down in the last dozen or so years.

nope! i just purchased a fine jewelry the double star comet series and it's about $7500. I think that's going to last a much longer time than the costume chanel pearl necklaces that I have.

Why do you think that happened? Did people just stop buying costume? Did it go out of fashion?

I love costume jewelry, but I buy only vintage. The quality on all the brands, both high and low-end, seems to have gone down, down, down in the last dozen or so years.

The same thing happened to costume jewelry (and Christian LaCroix) in the 90s as happened to a lot of indie labels and cute boutiques in 2008. There was a severe economic correction, and a lot of people who had money in 1996 didn't have it in 1998.

Also, in 1996-1997, it was considered ostentatious to flaunt your wealth in some segments of society. It was the rebirth of "stealth wealth" where you looked for pieces that were discrete and elegant. Costume jewelry - especially the best pieces - aren't discrete. That's the whole point. They are bold, elaborate and beautiful. The best costume isn't supposed to look like real - it's supposed to be a bit more.

Couple that with the fact that with the fact that some of these companies had rapid, and uncontrolled expansion in the early 90s, and they just didn't survive.

Well, I think it's definitely not a "good deal", but there are some pieces (the statement necklaces especially) that I think are iconic. I LOVE the long necklaces, and I think they can be such an integral part of the outfit that they are *almost* worth the price.

Definitly not. I'd rather pay the same & get something that had real materials without the name. $1500 for fake pearls & 'metal'? No thanks.

:yes:

Although I know a lady who have a CC pendant in real diamonds. It was custom made by a local jeweler. She loves Chanel but prefers real diamonds and gold. You can tell hers is well worth the money as it sparkles much more than the crystals Chanel uses.

The same thing happened to costume jewelry (and Christian LaCroix) in the 90s as happened to a lot of indie labels and cute boutiques in 2008. There was a severe economic correction, and a lot of people who had money in 1996 didn't have it in 1998.

Also, in 1996-1997, it was considered ostentatious to flaunt your wealth in some segments of society. It was the rebirth of "stealth wealth" where you looked for pieces that were discrete and elegant. Costume jewelry - especially the best pieces - aren't discrete. That's the whole point. They are bold, elaborate and beautiful. The best costume isn't supposed to look like real - it's supposed to be a bit more.

Couple that with the fact that with the fact that some of these companies had rapid, and uncontrolled expansion in the early 90s, and they just didn't survive.

Ah! That explains a lot. Knew of a few indie designers in the '90s who seemed to be cleaning up, then suddenly they vanished.

I wondered too why suddenly in the late 90s the chic of costume jewelry seemed to be suddenly replaced by tiny diamond pendants and earrings on everyone. Stealth wealth. That makes sense.

Do you own any pieces, and in your opinion, is it worth it? I can't decide if I want to spend that much money on 'fake' jewelry. Ive tried looking for some on eBay thinking it would be much cheaper, but its not all that much cheaper and has a risk of it being fake. So I was thinking of just going into a Chanel boutique to look at some pieces, but I don't want to take that step if it is not worth it. I know this is very much subjective, but it helps to have others' opinions.

I stopped buying Chanel jewlery a few years ago. I think it was when I discovered this forum, which I love. I have some nice pieces but I think it's better to buy some VCA or Cartier than 2000 dollars on a Chanel necklace at least I am pretty sure that is what I saw in a magazine.

There's been a lot of discussion on this topic on the Chanel forum before. IMO it is comparing apples with oranges. People buy chanel costume jewellery because of the design and because it is iconic and quintessentially 'chanel', and not for what it is actually worth. In fact, you can't really measure the true worth of chanel costume based on the materials etc... It is worth what people are willing to pay for it, and pre-owned pieces in good condition do hold their value pretty well.

Personally I love the long chanel pearl necklaces, I think they are gorgeous and iconic and yet very classy and modern at the same time. It's on my wishlist and I'm hoping to buy one soon, and I think they are versatile and will be worn enough to justify their cost. But that's just me, if you like it I say go ahead and get them! :smile:

Do you own any pieces, and in your opinion, is it worth it? I can't decide if I want to spend that much money on 'fake' jewelry. Ive tried looking for some on eBay thinking it would be much cheaper, but its not all that much cheaper and has a risk of it being fake. So I was thinking of just going into a Chanel boutique to look at some pieces, but I don't want to take that step if it is not worth it. I know this is very much subjective, but it helps to have others' opinions.

I don't do cj BUT lately I have been thinking of getting some after seeing a friend incorporate the pieces into her wardrobe. I am slowly warming up to the idea of cj. I think that if you want to own a few pieces then it is fine , we all need to indulge ourselves once in a while.

If you don't want to pay retail then look into pre-owned. Maybe browse through the local vintage/consignment shops. This same friend found a couple of broken Chanel necklaces at a vintage store for a steal. She later redesigned them into one long necklace. I thought that it was quite creative.