Do you think mid-high end shoes are worth the $$? if so do you buy for style or

Karen5000

Jul 3, 2007
comfort? i've felt the difference myself with some shoes. the most comfortable, sturdy flats I own are high end, while some HE sandals i've tried on have felt flimsy and not worth the money to me. I've lusted after manolo sandals that were $500, which were basically the equivalent of flip flops, but I couldnt bring myself to spend that much just for the style. And, sometimes i don't want to wear some shoes around the city because they will get dirty, but then I feel guilty not getting enough use out of them.I guess my question is what is your motivation behind buying high end shoes OR not buying them? can you tell on others when shoes are cheaply made, also?

I think it really depends on each person. For me, it's the comfort and style.

Almost of all of my work-shoes (closed toe pumps) are high-end because I really need the comfort. I work in downtown and walk around a lot, so comfort is key but I don't want to sacrifice style either. In the lower-end range, it almost always seems one way or the other - extremely cute but uncomfortable or extremely comfortable but ugly. Certainly not all high-end shoes are comfortable, but I find that styles that seem work-appropriate are extremely comfortable. My experience with likes of Nine West, Aldo (though not as bad as NW), and Guess were very negative and frankly I don't bother with them anymore. They have these plastic soles that I find very painful to walk in and my feet cannot breathe in these.

When my feet are comfortable, my days go by much easier - one less thing to deal with. The last thing I want is struggling to walk because my shoes are uncomfortable.

Oh, and I don't really worry about wearing them on the street. I mean, it's not like I intend to keep them forever. If I get a good use out of them for 5 years or so, that's good enough for me. Though I walk around on the street a lot, I take really good care of them and many still look pretty much new.

Finally, whether I can tell others are cheaply made or not... I don't know... I honestly don't pay much attention. If I looked super closely, perhaps.

If they're comfortable and seem the right price for the money, then I don't think it's a problem. My mom finally bought herself a pair of Chanel cap-toe flats last year and she wears pretty much nothing else.
One thing I will never do is buy vinyl shoes. When I was at NM a while ago, I saw some of the cap-toed flats done in... VINYL! And even on sale, $400 is WAYYY too much for plastic!

It depends on comfort & style. I am lusting after miu miu's, but so far haven't found one that fits me right. I have a lot of $80-140 shoes and once I found brands that fit my foot & arch correctly, they tend to be a good value so I will buy more from them. I have a handful of shoes that I got for about $150 each that originally retailed at the $400-500 range. The Anyi Lu's are by far the most comfortable and really show the extra care and comfort that can come with a mid-high price tag. But, I am willing to wait & see if something goes on sale so I can increase the value.

I guess that means I'm not buying trendy at higher prices, but hopefully something I know I will love and wear for years.

It depends on your budget. A good quality, classic, timeless pair of shoes will last 5-7 years. Cheap, trendy shoes might last one or two seasons. It's about going through your wardrobe and seeing what you need and can use. My motivation is getting them on sale! Seriously, consider that less is more. Better made shoes will last longer.

For me, the most comfy shoes are either high end shoes, like Lanvins, or the low low end ones like Steve Maddens and Nine Wests. There's no in between. The miumius and pradas and MJs hurt like hell. So I buy Steve Maddens for rainy days and I wear my Lanvins the other days, and my Pradas, Miumius and MJs languish in my closet untouched.

In my opinion, high end heels and flats are definitely worth the money as they’re more comfortable. I’m all about comfort; It’s so liberating to be able to walk around all day in your fabulous high heels/work pumps or dance until 3am in your party sandals. Also, high end shoes are made well and thus more durable. My Choos have lasted me though years on the dance floor and the commute to work.

That said, each foot is different and thus different lasts (whether they be cheap or expensive brands) equal a comfortable shoe for each individual. Jimmy Choo makes the most comfortable shoe for my foot shape and I rely on him for work and play shoes.

I buy for style mostly I think comfort is 1,234,985,974 on my list of must haves in a shoe... however I currently only buy high end shoes unless they are flip flops. I wear prada flats like theres no tomorrow and I love them!

In my experience, it's all about what is comfortable for you. My feet are pretty sensitive so cheap shoes tend to rub me raw. I do go mid-level for ballet flats. I like Repetto or French Sole, both of which run in the 150-200 range. Shoes in the 300 range are very hit or miss. Marc by Marc Jacobs are killer for me, but Miu Miu are usually OK. I know people who think Nine West or Aldo are perfectly comfortable, though. I think that every brand uses slightly different lasts for their shoes or something because some people do really well with some brands but not others. The only solution is to try on lots of pairs. Also, keep in mind that some basic maintenance stuff, like re-soling or putting on new heels, will have to be done no matter how much your shoes cost. I would even say that my Chanels and Louboutins need that done more often than my cheaper shoes.
As for whether I can tell when someone's shoes are cheaply made, some of the time I can. Honestly, though? I don't care. I have enough trouble finding comfortable shoes that my attitude is, if the shoe fits, wear it, no matter where you got it.