Do You Save For A Handbag?

Mostly I can afford the designers, but I still make it a point to save up for it, and then when I buy it, I feel like I've actually earned it.

You hit the nail on the head. I think you just appreciate things more when you wait and save rather than splurging.

Not that splurging isn't wonderful :graucho: but I think that sometimes the act of saving is good in and of itself. It also gives you some time to think about whether or not you really want the bag.

I always save and plan ahead, unless it's something I've found on ebay/secondhand and I have the cash laying around (NEVER credit cards! I pay paypal/cc, and then pay the cash to my cc right away).

But usually, getting a new bag is an occasion. I save extra money for a couple/few months (depending), plan an amount, and when I've saved it all I go on a special trip to pick out/pick up my bag. For example, right now we have plans to spend a weekend away over my birthday (August), so I'm figuring how much cash I'll have at that point if I set some aside from my spending money and deciding what I'll buy with it.

It makes it something that a) I saved for, cutting other luxury/random expenses to get it; b) something I can plan for, because the planning is half the fun; c) something that will be even more special because every time I use it, I'll have the memories associated with it.

If I just ran out and bought every bag that appealed to me, I don't think I'd appreciate them half as much.

I definitely save as I refuse to use my credit cards for anything other than emergencies, and for many of the additional reasons previous posters mentioned. It also helps me to guage how much I really want the bag. Case in point: I have been saving for one particular bag recently. I finally had the cash in hand to buy it and lo and behold I fell out of love with the bag. I continued to save though because I still couldnt make up my mind. Eventually I did buy a bag, but it wasn't the one I started out lusting. The "up" side is this bag cost me less than the original object of my lust/affection. I enjoy my new bag because there are no strings attached---its been purchased free and clear, no stress about seeing a monthly bill for it. Bags are not worth that kind of stress to me. I appreciate that everyone is different and has different priorities. For ME saving first is the only way to go.

Saving should be the normal practice, and is the smart thing to do, but I warn- only if it's a classic will you still want it once you're done saving for it :P So, seeing as it's a Chanel Flap, I think you're right to start saving.

By the way, saving up for something means that you're waiting until you CAN afford it. I commend you for not being an impulsive shopper :P

Not normally but my bags are on the lower end of the price point...

I do want to save for a new and not going on sale anytime soon bag, I am in love with but the prob is that I keep finding others I love.. I am on my 6th bag this year and it is only March.

Sometimes I do sometimes I don't. I think something can be said for people who just automatically pay out right. For example-I get my check and take the extra money to buy a bag with out thinking about it. it could be considered a splurge, and I may regret it later. you should always think about a big purchase (I normally buy LV so all over 750). If I save instead of just spend it makes me really think about my decision.

Not normally but my bags are on the lower end of the price point...

I do want to save for a new and not going on sale anytime soon bag, I am in love with but the prob is that I keep finding others I love.. I am on my 6th bag this year and it is only March.

:nuts::roflmfao:

I'm having the same problem, it's like these bags keep comming to look for me and beg me to take them home

I save. At the moment, I'm saving for a Balenciaga Part Time. If I save my money... watch it add up and then purchase... I feel like I've truly earned the item and that I can REALLY enjoy it.

If i can afford to buy a bag outright without dipping into our savings account then i will do it. If not then i usually save for a few months until i can. I don't agree with "If you have to ask the price then you can't afford it" nor "If you have to save you can't afford it." There is nothing wrong with saving for a handbag purchase. Having a budget is a smart thing to do. I prefer to save then to go into debt, or burn what we should be putting away as savings on fashion items.