Do you remember the days BEFORE "oversized" bags were in?

When I first got my Speedy 25 which started my purse obsession, I couldn't even fill it up. Now, I can't carry it because it's too small...in fact, a few weeks ago I used my 25 as my evening bag at a formal event. Now my 35 is my Speedy of choice and all my other bags fit into the "huge" category and I love it that way.

great post. i too am a large handbag lover, but only because i carry SO MUCH!. Makeup case w/brush and advil, 4 glosses (why so many!?) etc etc, phone, mp3 player, keys w/large keyrings, large wallet, book/magazine, sunglasses in a big case. and then there is room for a cardigan or scarf and water/snacks, small purchases, etc.

i truly feel like i NEED to carry all of this stuff with me all the time. and why?? surely i don't use it all all the time.

I just purchased a HH Lorca. i wasn't going to buy it, as it is so small and i have no idea what i'll do with it, but i've decided that maybe it's time to pare down and see what i can do without carrying. i'm sure my shoulders, neck and arms will thank me.

as a teenager, my backpack was my "purse" and after that i had a med. size guess bag, that i could still fit a lot into. i guess i've always been one to carry a lot.

but it's true, as we get older, there is just more stuff to carry.

Even before the big oversized bags were the fashion I always sought out the biggest bag the leather companies produced. I remember in 1991 my now husband bought me the Mahagony leather Coach Duffle. It was huge! He said I looked like a pack mule. Oh boy did I love that bag. . . .I eventually went smaller but never hesitated to go back to that duffle when I wanted to load & go! My shoulders are more toned now for the effort! LOL

Even when I carried small bags, I was always lugging an additional tote (or two!) and the whole look was messy. Big bags may seem unnecessary to some, but it's way more polished to have one huge bag than several hanging off your body IMHO.

Yes and I'm going back to purses that fit my size - I was never into the oversized anyway really....love pochettes like the LV ones for evening, but could never function with one during daytime.

Interesting thread. I like everybody's responses too.

I agree; since everything is made so big nowadays it's hard not to get a big bag. I don't feel safe unless I have all my important items in my bag: keys, cellphone, wallet, planner, feminine products :blush:, a few snacks, clean wipes, and water bottle. I mean, I need all that stuff in case I get stranded in the middle of nowhere! Rest assured I can live out of my bag for at least a day hee hee.

My boyfriend always complains about the size of my bags. "My mom has a bag the size of a paper envelope and she fits everything fine in it." But then he shuts up whenever he needs a pen or a drink from my water bottle. Ha!

i started with oversize bags when I was sick of carrying a handbag and a bookbag around. i got a large bag to hold both in, and thats where it came from. plus, at the time i was taking public transportation in high school, so I always carried what I needed

I now see women carrying clutches to the grocery store. Some it seems are carrying gym bags. It all depends on the size you need for what you need it for. I love my big bags because even though I don't fill them up, it's still nice to know I have the extra room if I need it. You never know what you may need to hold for somebody ect. I'm just glad that the days of the fanny pack are long gone!

I don't care about my small size; I'm going to carry an "oversized" bag if I need/want it. What happens when I need to carry larger or more things with me, but I can't fit them into the bags I have because I'm afraid that a bigger bag would look "too big" on me? Am I going to ask my 5'10" or 300 pound friend to put some of my things in their bigger bags because they can "fashionably" carry them?

yes! I use to carry a small wallet and now I can't stand wallets where the bills will fold so I think that is when I started carrying a bigger purse. I remembered thinking that the LV Speedy 25 was huge and now I think its too small!
I definetly also think its the trend to carry bigger bags, just like for cars- 10 yrs ago it was cool to drive the smallest car (2 seat convertable) and now its cool to drive the big SUV!

I like any bag as long as it can fit what I need. I just tend to use bigger bags since I am a bigger person and too small bags look funny on me. I even go for oversized clutches when I can.

I'm kind of going back to smaller bags myself. My biggest is my fendi spy and to me it seems just a little too big. Love it nonetheless but looking for a medium size bag and also wanting a bag w/option to carry on shoulder, not just tote.