Do you know any mall girls?

I also initially thought the title of the post was referring to "mall rats" but this is much more sinister... and sad. It reminds me of a woman I knew (tangentially) who worked in the sex industry in Amsterdam. She was young and beautiful, and literally addicted to designer goods. She wanted to leave the buisness, but every time she did she would become despondent over not being able to buy these expensive, designer things she craved, and would go back to hooking for easy money.

I never understood being so willing to compromise yourself, your health, your safety, your sanity... all in order to have this *thing* (no matter how amazing and expensive that *thing* might be; scarf, handbag, dress, shoes, car).

That just seems like such a devaulation of self-worth, and it makes me sad. :sad:

I also agree that you don't have to be rich to find nice designer stuff, but one may have to learn better impulse control in order to not simply buy it the moment you see it and want it, to realize you can't have absolutely everything you want (just ask the Rolling Stones), and the time and willingness to bargain-hunt, authenticate, and all the other saavy consumer's habits many tPFers already embrace.

^ I think this a bit different though. I read in the article that sex is actually exchanged for goods bought for them right there in the mall.

there have always been people who date someone for money but this seems like a new thing.

I'm not surprised by the article, it is nothing new. Unfortunately I went to school with a couple of these mall girls and that was 20 yrs ago. It is something that has no socio-economic boundaries.

Looking back, I'm so thankful for my mom strict rules - even I thought they were unfair at the time.

Wow, this is sad. I have never heard about anything like this.

I did however once notice two very young girls in Victorias Secret buying a TON and I mean a TON of items. They didn't look wealthy. And if they were wealthy, I don't think they'd be shopping at this mall. It's a so-so mall. I was so curious as to how they were able to afford at least a few hundred dollars worth of merchandise.

I have heard of the mall girl thing on tv sometime, maybe a movie or something. ....lol our mall here is pathetic (one floor, and 40 stores maybe), but when i was in highschool my mom used to give me her cc and tell me i could spend like 300 (before school starts, christmas, birthday) and i deff do not look "wealthy" i supose.

I don't know any personally, but I'm pretty sure I saw it when I was in Russia.

Next time I go to the mall, I think I'm going to sit down and see if I can spot anything like this. Its incredibly disturbing but not surprising. I can see how a teenaged girl could tell herself that it wasn't so bad because he wasn't actually paying her with cash so it wasn't prostitution--they say that on THE MAURY SHOW all the time. (ugh, yes, I watch trash tv sometimes. We all do, admit it!)

Crap when I was in high school ages ago, girls who wanted nice things just stole them. There was a group of gals who were considered like the B-list tagalongs of the A-list popular girls at my school and they were known to shoplift from the malls and department stores in my city. But to have sex with a "John" in a mall bathroom solely to be taken shopping is just :sick:.

^ I think this a bit different though. I read in the article that sex is actually exchanged for goods bought for them right there in the mall.

there have always been people who date someone for money but this seems like a new thing.

No, we're talking about the same exact thing. For every Sugar Daddy who just wants arm candy, there's another who wants the whole package and a woman who will give it to him to get what she wants.

(ugh, yes, I watch trash tv sometimes. We all do, admit it!)

I have no shame in watching Trash TV. I've been watching Cheaters and Maury for years! :lol:

^^^ The thing is, if the "sugar daddy" wants the whole package... Once a sexual act has taken place... He is no longer a sugar daddy. He becomes a trick.

If sex is involved in any way, its NOT a sugar daddy arrangement. Anyone girl that thinks otherwise is deluding herself. But the truth would be: He is a trick and she is a hooker.

This is really sad. I see the problem as there needing to be appropriate outlets for these girls other than consumerism and desperation for acceptance. It's a really tough problem to deal with that has many factors.