Do you/Have you/Would you buy H on Ebay?

I am wanting to buy my first Birkin have recently come to a realization that I will have slim chances to none getting it at a store. I don't live anywhere near a store and I think I could buy a $100,000 worth of scarves, bracelets, and ties never to be offered a birkin. I have been doing a lot of research on TPF and never wanted to buy from a reseller. I now realize I have no choice. I have come to terms with it and am actually excited. Why should I grovel at someones feet for 5 years to get a bag? See the Master Closed List of authentic Hermes Ebay and Brick n' mortar stores in the forum. Research the resller from the feedback of the purse forum members and buy your dream item with markup!

The risk is great on ebay. The quality of the fakes has improved substantially over the past year. There is no "insurance policy", even with highly rated sellers. You might save a little, and loose a lot!

I am still H-less but I live 4 hours away from the nearest boutique, unless I make a day of it, there is no way I could get there!
So I am hunting on ebay for my first slice of Hermes, a picotin, I have been bugging the authenticators!!

I have purchased Balenciaga and LV from ebay and I have had excellent experiences, also 2 of my items have been well under retail and in mint condition.
I think as long as you are careful, then there is little to go wrong. I am of course talking of smaller / cheaper H items.

Its a few years until I could afford a Birkin, but I would never buy one of ebay, i would definatley shoose to wait, it just seems wrong buying a grail bag from ebay! I want the boutique experince etc!!

I will only buy from reputable resellers on ebay and tend to go with pre-owned bags that are below retail. One exception was when I did break down and get a new bag from a reputable reseller where the price was about $500 above retail when you figured in the NYC tax. The fraud on ebay ends up affecting many people because conversely I have tried to sell bags that I bought at the boutique and offered them below retail or at retail and had no offers because I as a non-reseller my feedback number was low so people were scared off from bidding. My recent good experiences came after I became informed of this great forum. Before then, I did fall prey to 3 scary attempts at fraud. The first one, someone in Germany sold me a fake for a ridiculous price and you won't believe this, in exchanging e-mails turned out this woman was a year ahead of me at my same high school (talk about small world). The expense was so low and to be honest I didn't find out until way later that by then I was too embarrassed to report. I did send her an e-mail telling her how she must have known it was fake and how shameful her behavior was. I never heard back from her, but she is still active on ebay. Third time, I used escrow and just lost the money used for the fees. Then I became diligent about buying from only 3 reputable resellers with outstanding reputations. The sad thing is that I am sure that good deals can be had from private citizens who may occasionally want to sell an old bag at a great price, but because of all the fraud, we don't dare (at least I won't anymore) buy from them on ebay.

I have both bought and sold Birkins and Kellys on Ebay: I have sold three Birkins and five Kellys (i wish i had them all beack, truth be told!), bought two Birkins (one real, one fake) and one Kelly (fake). And when you buy the fake ones, it's impossible to get your money back........Paypal is no help at all, because Ebay owns them and they don't want to help catch a thief and lose their own money, but at least my credit card company helped me. I spend enough with them that they watch out for me........The trick is buying from a reputable dealer (i bought from Createurs deluxe, the real Birkin one).....the others i bought earlier in my ebay career and learned a sore lesson. As for selling my own Hermes stuff (including scarves, bracelets, accessories, etc., all from my personal stash), i have almost 400 designer items i've sold and good feedback, so the people that bought from me trusted me, thank goodness. It's really difficult to sell otherwise. I sold my stuff for at or below cost just clear out my closet.......but if you want to deal with the dealers, i think you need to expect to pay 25-100% mark-ups.

I was curious what the general sentiment is on this topic. I don't buy H on Ebay.

Reason #1: Its just soooo risky to buy H (or other luxury items) on Ebay b/c there are soooo many fakes out there and so many horror stories from people who have been duped.

Even though there are very reputable sellers out there (per tPF shopping subforum), that brings up the Reason #2: The Markup! I don't have the money to pay an extra $3K to $10K markup. If you don't have an established relationship w/an H store/SA, you could take that extra money that you would be paying on Ebay and use it towards smaller items at H until you have built up a relationship with an SA. If you have an established relationship, then why Ebay? The wait? I guess its reasonable to pay that premium to avoid the wait if you have the money to.

The reason this came up was b/c I was looking for the Tohu Bohu scarf & I don't think I will be able to find it at H. But when I hear all the horror stories, I am so turned off, its just not worth it to me.:smile:
My apologies for such a late reply.

I would not buy from Ebay because of the following:
#1: Too risky.
#2: The Markup
#3: I have the best SA in the world:tup: and literally every single staff member in my Alaskan boutique has been nothing but peaches and cream to me. So why should I stray?

I guess I have a high risk tolerance like DQ. I have and will buy a H bag on EBay. Probably less so now as I have also bought a few from the boutique and far prefer the experience. But if you do your research thoroughly then there are deals to be had on EBay.