Home & Garden do you have a decorating pet peeve?

While I cannot say that I have a decorating pet peeve, I have to agree that I am not terribly fond of sayings on walls. It just seems a bit twee for my style.

Oh, nevermind. Painting fireplaces bugs the bejeebers out of me. Fireplaces are supposed to be brick or stone or some contrasting material. Painting them to match decor just seems wrong. That isn't to say it hasn't been done well; I am sure someone has made it look good. Still and all, I hate painting fireplaces.

Anything decoupaged to the ceiling, especially angels.
Fabric stuck to the walls with spray starch.
"Faux leather" wall coverings made by gluing crumpled brown paper grocery sacks to the wall.
Anything "mid-century modern" that reminds me of the cheap, scratchy couches we sat on in the 1960s.
Stuff hanging on the refrigerator.
Bathroom "window coverings" that don't really shield anyone from the eyes of the outside world.
Clutter.

I agree with you HauteMama on the painted fireplaces. :nogood:

accent walls - specially red ones - are annoying and so so passé. it just think that you couldn't afford to paint the entire room.

those big arcing floor lamps/lights that's a fixture in "modern" living room decor (look at houzz.com under living room, modern and you'll see a ton of examples).

coming from nyc where space is a premium: kitchen cabinets that don't go up to the ceiling. okay, i can understand if your kitchen ceiling is super high. but for normal height kitchens, why don't architects utilize that space and build the cabinets all the way to the top? it just gathers dust otherwise.

accent walls - specially red ones - are annoying and so so passé. it just think that you couldn't afford to paint the entire room.

those big arcing floor lamps/lights that's a fixture in "modern" living room decor (look at houzz.com under living room, modern and you'll see a ton of examples).

coming from nyc where space is a premium: kitchen cabinets that don't go up to the ceiling. okay, i can understand if your kitchen ceiling is super high. but for normal height kitchens, why don't architects utilize that space and build the cabinets all the way to the top? it just gathers dust otherwise.

Awww. I don't think the lamps are that bad.........:sad:

I was thinking of getting one.........

faux plastic flowers
colorful floral pattern on curtains, couch, rugs
bright wall paint colors on every room (orange, lime green, yellow)
white bathroom tiles

Last edited:
Awww. I don't think the lamps are that bad.........:sad:

I was thinking of getting one.........

Yeah but they're so overdone. Every single decor catalog, website, magazine shows them. I think a decorator that uses them just isn't trying hard enough. There are much more clever, better looking ways to get general lighting in a room. And they hang so low it's a wonder people don't keep conking their head.

i still do that on my feather/down sofa in the living room, i understand they've been out of style for some time...but it's the only way i can get those dumb pillows to look full.

Stick a 20 x 20 insert in an 18 x 18 pillow cover (and so on). Best with down/feather inserts; they'll always look full without seeming like they will burst.