Do you get original hem reattached when you alter jeans?

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
I never bothered with this but yesterday I brought some jeans to Nordstroms Rack for shortening. Since they have the free alterations, I decided I may as well do it right. Do you bother to have the original hem reattached?

Absolutely, started doing it many years ago when I found out about it...really an ingenious idea. Looks more seamless on darker denim, but maybe your tailor is a magician?

Absolutely, started doing it many years ago when I found out about it...really an ingenious idea. Looks more seamless on darker denim, but maybe your tailor is a magician?
no, my tailor isn't a magician.....I always figured just hemming them with the same color thread was good enough....who's really looking at the bottom of my jeans? But as I said, when it came to getting it done for NC I decided to do it the "right" way

Yes, definitely, when jeans had only longer inseams back in the day. I was more than willing to pay extra for the original hem. Good thing that jeans now come with shorter or cropped inseams so I just buy those and they are the perfect length on me without need for alterations.

I'm a shoe fiend, so when I look at other people's shoes, I also notice their pant/jean hems. :biggrin:

Yes, definitely, when jeans had only longer inseams back in the day. I was more than willing to pay extra for the original hem. Good thing that jeans now come with shorter or cropped inseams so I just buy those and they are the perfect length on me without need for alterations.

I'm a shoe fiend, so when I look at other people's shoes, I also notice their pant/jean hems. :biggrin:
Yes, I'm 5'4". I've gotten a couple of pair of jeans that were the right length; one was cropped and the other was preowned.

YES, I always have the original hems reattached. I am short and I have to have most of my jeans hemmed. I am very fond of denim and I have a huge collection of denim. I take care of jeans and they last forever!

YES, I always have the original hems reattached. I am short and I have to have most of my jeans hemmed. I am very fond of denim and I have a huge collection of denim. I take care of jeans and they last forever!
I don't have a huge collection. I've gotten rid of some because I just didn't like them anymore but can't recall ever wearing out a pair. I don't wash them any more often than necessary and I hang them to dry.

I used to always have the original hems put back. However, if there is no distressing or unique wash on the bottom of the jean, I don't bother replacing the original when it was just simple to start with....

I've had my mother (who is a seamstress) do this once with a pair of jeans that had a very fancy hem that if she just cut it off it would ruin the whole look of the jeans. Does anyone remember the Antik denim fad from about 10 years ago? They were very western inspired and it had this very unusual stitching on the hem. I now tend to buy more of a cropped tapered style to either tuck into boots or wear with heels so no need for hemming...or I buy straight leg that you can just cuff...I love that look the most!

Reactions: ladysarah
I like to get jeans properly hemmed, though that limits the kind of shoe that can be worn with them. If you just cuff it the length can be adjusted to suit a variety of footwear.

Which brands do you tend to like? I am done with spending my money on jeans that won't last/would get baggy and I wanted to know brands that will last