Do you feel you may buy because of sale prices on items you might not normally purchase?

gillianna

O.G.
Dec 27, 2005
I have been on a journey to simplify my life and am happy with more of a capsule wardrobe. I really think out my purchases and only buy items that meet my needs. This includes certain fabric/blends, colors/designs and fit. I have cleaned out my closet over and over of many things in the past year and am left with less but like everything I have. In my last cleanout I got rid off the last of items I was saving but in the end I knew I did not like them or would wear them. Most were gifts that I felt I should keep but when other people buy for you they usually get it wrong.

In noticing many threads on shoppingfor example stores like Nordstrom Rack it seems like many people might feel they need or have to buy something because of the price and others are disappointed because one did not find a item another’s person bought. Is it more common to just shop to spend money or go shopping with a list of what one truly needs? My one friend and I were talking about shopping habits and how she seems to overspend at the outlets because she says they have such great buys. She refuses to believe that items may be made for outlet stores only and spends hundreds of dollars on cheap purses when the outlet stores posts 50+ off everything while complaining she will never spend $$ on a LV but has wanted one desperately for 10 plus years. She also thinks I will give her my old LV purses. I gave her one and never saw her wear it.

I feel the outlets of today were not like the ones in the past. When I was in high school 30 +++ years ago I worked at Syms. I shopped at Loehmans when it truly had really great buys and not racks full of the same item. Outlet stores back then were very limited and not big mall chain outlet stores. Living in Florida after college I found some great outlet districts with unique stores that could not be compared to the outlets of today. Many were items from Europe and my sister still have quite a few of the outfits I originally bought her.

To me mall fashion is just pushing the same cheap clothes in every store. My one friend’s mom and most of her family will only shop at Macy’s because they think that is a high end store. Basically it is the better store at the horrible mall a few towns over. I am amazed at the prices they pay for items that look like they are from KMart. But they all talk sale and discounts with prices % off so they had to buy. My daughter and her friends are college mall rats. Buying junk that to me will fall apart after xxx washes. Slowly she realizes buying better made clothing will last for years and she is lucky my sister buys her really nice things that look good and she will be able to use when she graduates and starts a career.

If one really sits and looks at all the stuff they own and can think about what they actually wear and love versus what is just stuff taking up space you can be shocked. I myself have made impulse purchase and bad choices in the past but I feel as I age I realize I just don’t need all this stuff and no material possession is going to change my life and I am no going to be devasted if I don’t own it. Yet many people seem so desperate to have the latest it bag, shoes and a t as if it is the end of the world that they can’t find it.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your thoughts gillianna! I feel the same way too and adopt similar shopping habits as you.

I guess many people are too fixated on discounts and offers, especially during this season due to the Black Friday sales and Christmas season. Sometimes, I do feel like buying on impulse when I see online discounts too. Its a good reminder for me to buy what I really need than reckless spending!

I personally feel this: Fashion is expensive, but style is cheap. We can own whatever style we wanna with clothes that we already have, or those that are inexpensive to buy! No need to go for trends as its always never ending :sad:

Have a good day and cheers!

I also would rather have less things that I love with higher quality, but I am all for getting a great deal at the same time. I think that's what makes sales enticing to me personally, I try to find items that I'd be willing to pay full price for and snag it on sale. I avoid buying things simply because they're on sale.

Reactions: Dooneysta
I think the pictures on the news of the crazy Black Friday Mobs was insane. I mean a item at a store on sale is going to make you turn into a animal fighting over it? We live in such a materialistic society. I keep finding things to donate to the thrift shops each day. So much unnecessary stuff. I have tried to tell relatives to stop with the buying things for the house for birthdays/holidays. A phone call is enough. Even friends they keep getting things they will never display or use. I now try not to save and put away and will donate instead.

Reactions: ColdSteel