Do you ever buy non-brand clothings?

fashionusit

Aug 12, 2011
My wardrobe is full of JCrew, Zara, and some Chanel etc.

But suddenlty I came up an idea, why not try some non-brand clothing? It may be a pairing adventure.

I can not remember when I bought non-brand clothing last time.

What's your situation? Do you ever or often buy non-brand clothings?

I'm all about bargain hunting so the prices I pay for brand-name clothing sometimes are as low as non-brand clothing :smile:

case in point - I recently bought a Valentino dress for $150 :graucho:

I love buying non brand clothing to balance out my brand clothing.

Tbh, I'm only willing to buy brand for items that have a longer wear/life. Coats, jackets, suits, dresses, cashmere sweaters and the like.

But I can't bring myself to buy brand basics, like tees and tanks, or to buy trendy brand items because they'll look dated. Anything buttoned (buttoned blouses) because most of the time it's dry clean only if it's brand.

I won't totally discredit or not buy brand clothing, but it must be at a great discount since I have to take into account dry cleaning, whether it'll be in style or not, and if I'll actually wear it enough to justify it's cost per wear.

I am willing to spend more on trousers and jeans (to an extent) because fit matters a lot since I'm short.

I was just writing about this in another thread.

I do now. I didn't use to...then I cleaned out my closest. Bags and bags of clothes with tags on them.

I am trying hard to now only buy what I absolutely love, looks good and I will use....regardless of the cost, store or brand. Everything from Salvation Army to the most expensive designer....I don't where it comes from anymore.

I love buying non brand clothing to balance out my brand clothing.

Tbh, I'm only willing to buy brand for items that have a longer wear/life. Coats, jackets, suits, dresses, cashmere sweaters and the like.

But I can't bring myself to buy brand basics, like tees and tanks, or to buy trendy brand items because they'll look dated. Anything buttoned (buttoned blouses) because most of the time it's dry clean only if it's brand.

I won't totally discredit or not buy brand clothing, but it must be at a great discount since I have to take into account dry cleaning, whether it'll be in style or not, and if I'll actually wear it enough to justify it's cost per wear.

I am willing to spend more on trousers and jeans (to an extent) because fit matters a lot since I'm short.

I totally agree with you!

I'm confused with this thread - doesn't every piece of clothing purchased in store have a brand? :rolleyes:

I'm confused too because she mentions Zara and Chanel in the same sentence. Yes, they are both brands but priced from one extreme to the other. If she considers Zara in the same category as Chanel, then who would the 'non brand' be?? :shrugs: Possibly clothes from department stores that aren't specific to any one brand (Sears/Walmart/Target)?

Hi, what I mean of 'non brand' is the clothing without a label such as those custom-made by local dressmaker, or a very small brand known by few people.
Altogether, I mean those apparels except the 'big' brands.
I mentioned Zara in the same category as Chanel just because they are both famous 'big' brands.
And they both 'live' in my wardrobe :P

I'm confused too because she mentions Zara and Chanel in the same sentence. Yes, they are both brands but priced from one extreme to the other. If she considers Zara in the same category as Chanel, then who would the 'non brand' be?? :shrugs: Possibly clothes from department stores that aren't specific to any one brand (Sears/Walmart/Target)?

I love buying non-brand clothes in that case! Admittedly, I have somewhat little patience when shopping in store, so I try and scope out things I'd be interested in online first, and smaller, niche brands often don't give that option. BUT I feel less overwhelmed in smaller boutiques, because it's typically a well-curated collection of pieces for me to shop from, and I feel as though I can take more time perusing.

In terms of price, I have to admit, a lot of smaller boutiques are just as expensive if not more so than places like Zara.

In that case, yes. Smaller stores where they sell their own line of stuff means much more unique items. It's just a matter of finding one that fits your style and size. I've come across ones that have gorgeous summer clothing.

I wear smaller up-and-coming designers and I get all of my clothes tailored. I just dropped off a Peter Pilotto for Target tank to be tailored.

For the most part, I can't bring myself to wear cheap clothes. The only store brand I wear is J.Crew and maybe the GAP (their wax coated skinnies are awesome). I do buy lots of awesome things on sale though, like my cashmere Billy Reid tee for $19!