do you ask your husband's (or SO's) opinion on clothing you've purchased?

I ask him if I am unsure about something. I also ask my girlfriends etc. I normally shop alone though so a lot of the asking is done via photos on WhatsApp. I would say 80% of the time I am quite certain but the 20%, I ask for opinions.
for me I'm probably sure about tops 80% or more of the time....jeans I almost always ask him for an opinion, even if I like them
Shoes I'm usually pretty sure but lately I've been going thru it with trying to find boots that look good and feel good
Recently he talked be out of something. I had mixed feelings but really I think I was trying to settle for a pair of boots that weren't really what I wanted because the price was good and I was tired of trying.

Last edited:
I usually don't feel the need to ask anyone, but if I do, it's usually the opinion of another woman because the men in my life won't give me the answer I am looking for which is an honest and fashionable one.

I ask my husband sometimes and sometimes don't end up listening to him. He is very simple and straightforward in his taste so doesn't like anything that is too fashionable, which is not necessarily how I'd like to dress all the time. Most often, if it's not something very simple he will tell me he doesn't like it.

Reactions: papertiger
Strangers have asked me for advice. I feel kind of strange giving it. I mean, if it looks good it is easy but it is harder to say something negative.
I usually give praise to strangers at stores without being asked! Lol
Or happily butt in if I hear they’re being indecisive. I welcome opinions, too. I figure they have nothing to gain one way or another, so why wouldn’t they be sincere? Worst it can happen is that you don’t like their taste, but at least it’s one more set of eyes telling you what looks good on you.

Shopping with others can be a 2 edged sword
I do like going shopping with others, especially if they have a great eye because they will find you things you wouldn’t have tried on yourself. BUT many times, when you’re indecisive, they can push you towards getting what they like best and one not being sure, just says yes then regrets it.

I will ask DH occasionally because he knows my core style and the difference between a fancy that I may look good in momentarily and what I end up wearing. But I also know his taste. The only blind spot he has is for corset dresses ad pencil skirts (as perhaps most guys often do), I wear sometimes when it's convenient but he thinks I should wear them all the time. He also hates denim skirts, cocoon dresses and coats so if I'm looking at those I just don't ask.

I will ask DH occasionally because he knows my core style and the difference between a fancy that I may look good in momentarily and what I end up wearing. But I also know his taste. The only blind spot he has is for corset dresses ad pencil skirts (as perhaps most guys often do), I wear sometimes when it's convenient but he thinks I should wear them all the time. He also hates denim skirts, cocoon dresses and coats so if I'm looking at those I just don't ask.

yes, sometimes you don't ask either because as you say, you know he hates whatever (coats, etc.)
and sometimes I'll wear something he says is unflattering. I have one top that is a gorgeous color. The front looks good. The side show some bits that are not my best. But I wear it occasionally anyway. I figure I like it and there are people showing worse than me.

Left to my own devices I do a bad job, frankly. I buy, return, rebuy. I'm always dithering between two sizes even when I find something I love style wise. Then I sometimes try to buy outside my comfort zone and it can be great, or it can be just terrible.

My fail rate is entirely reduced if my daughter's with me and can weigh in. My DH has a time-tested notion of what I look good in--and is not too excited when I suddenly become convinced that I must have a Carmen Miranda turban complete with fruit, or the equivalent.:biggrin: He's helpful when I'm shopping.

Left to my own devices I do a bad job, frankly. I buy, return, rebuy. I'm always dithering between two sizes even when I find something I love style wise. Then I sometimes try to buy outside my comfort zone and it can be great, or it can be just terrible.

My fail rate is entirely reduced if my daughter's with me and can weigh in. My DH has a time-tested notion of what I look good in--and is not too excited when I suddenly become convinced that I must have a Carmen Miranda turban complete with fruit, or the equivalent.:biggrin: He's helpful when I'm shopping.
I've been going thru a terrible buy, try on, return thing with boots since before Christmas. I think I've purchased ten pair (some of them two of the same style in different sizes because you can't try on when ordering online).
After all that, I think I finally found the ones I want. But while the left boot feels great, the right feels like there's a defect in the seam or something. So zappos is shipping me another pair in the same size and style. Hopefully that one will work.

I only trust the opinion of one of my daughters. She has the same aesthetic as me. We both think my other daughter has bad taste!

I don't like shopping with friends as hardly any of them shop at the same stores or in the same sizes, and the amount I'm willing to spend might not be the same.

Last year I made some bad buying decisions. I bought several sweaters that look terrible on me. No one has said anything but I figured that out on my own.

Reactions: jellyv
Yes, I ask my husband's opinion on matters of big purchases: gowns for special occasions, leather jackets, 2-3 piece suits for work, he has better taste than my female friends and always tells me the truth! I also tend to spend more $$ when he's involved!

Reactions: NOIRetMoi