do white bags discolor?

Feb 17, 2007
Ok, so I'm in search of the perfect white bag. Thought that I had made a decision. Now, I've had 2 people tell me that white Hermes will eventually discolor, and become a yellow cream color. Is this true? Anyone own one? Thanks for any help.

I think in general most white bags will discolor. I had white muse bag that was discolored by the orange prints on blouse I was wearing. I tried Apple Guard cleaner and it did remove most of the stain but slight discoloration still can be seen when examined. So after since, I avoid light colored bags, maybe except for toile :smile:

I found out something interesting. Apparently, they send the white bags back to France to recondition. There apparently is some special coating that they put on the bags to protect them, that they don't do with other colors.

golden's mom -- Are you supposed to send back for this special coating right away? Or wait until after 'usage', (for some discoloration), before sending back?

TIA

I think it's instead of a regular refurbish/spa treatment. At least that is what I gathered. This is what I understood, so if I'm not correct forgive me. I understood that the treatment is something that has to have a special ventilation to apply. I am guessing because of cost factors...building a room with the correct ventilation...that only one facility is able to do this. My SA indicated that the bag has the coating on it when you purchase it.

I just saw this on ebay - for a vintage patent kelly
0491_1_md.jpg

You can see the white do discolor over time.
0491_2_lg.jpg

I turned down a white Berkin 40 yesterday that my SA called me for. My husband was in shock I didn't buy it. The reason I passed (to wait for an Orange 40) is because I am 8 months pregnant and a white handbag and a baby really don't mix. One juice disaster and I would be horrified! I keep asking myself, "when did I become practical?" because it really isn't ike me to NOT buy something!