Workplace Do Too Many Kids Go To College?

I saw this on Failbook and it made me think of this thread :smile:

funny-facebook-fails-generational-i.jpg

Yes, definitely.

I am one of those people that got a useless degree (Business Admin.) because getting a college degree was a "necessity" and now I wish I had, instead, gone to school to be some sort of technician or to learn a trade. Luckily, I don't have much in student loans, because of my years in the military, I was able to use the G.I. Bill for most of it and my school was a pretty cheap state school (which has since hiked it's tuition costs exponentially).

I have to say I was extremely disappointed in the level of education I received. I felt like I became more educated through my experience in the military and the years afterward by living in different countries and experiencing different cultures (and those experiences were through my husband's job, not because of my degree).

One thing that was very evident to me while going to school was the bar was set so low in order to pass the classes. Students had to be completely irresponsible in every way (e.g. just not go to class, and not turn in any assignments) to fail those classes. They were so easy, and so many exceptions were given for homework, assignments, etc that were turned in late. I know there are still some excellent universities in the U.S. that still keep up rigorous expectations, but I would venture to say most have dropped the bar so low that getting a degree is not what it used to be (and I wonder if that lowering of expectations has even crept up into the top universities, but I don't know much about that).

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that there is a drastic shortage in trades like electricians, plumbers, air conditioning mechanics, etc, because everyone has to go to college. That is so unnecessary, since so many people don't belong in college, and there is nothing wrong with that. Some people have academic smarts, some people have more street smarts, some have both, some have neither, we're all different so we all shouldn't be lumped into the same category. What matters most is pride in your work, excellence, hard work, integrity, and responsibility in whatever job you do.

I saw this on Failbook and it made me think of this thread :smile:

funny-facebook-fails-generational-i.jpg

hey! whats wrong w/ flipping burgers with a college degree? :P
All joking aside,I dont get how its a force fed idea of either college or McDonald's (work). I mean, if you are a 18 yr old high school grad, you are suppose to work OR go to college...how is that a "force fed" concept? I thought it was logical....or is a high school grad suppose to not go to college and not go to work? someone help! :biggrin:

My background is primarily in client & bank conversions/acquisitions (project management and technical execution) plus a couple of years in reconciliation/audit. :smile:

so you are a management consultant?? do you work in house at a bank? or at a management company and work for a bank on a consultant basis? your description is a bit vague. i worked in house (legal) for an international bank prior to firm practice so i know banking quite well-- from internal and external standpoints, and I am still baffled by your description. Anyways, i understand its private to a degree and you dont want to write too much over the web...sorry, im nosy!

I still maintain that community colleges are a good option for those that just want the piece of paper. I don't think we should push kids NOT to attend college but the decision needs to be right for the individual. Graduating with $100k+ of debt when a cc degree would have been entirely adequate for someone is lunacy IMHO.

I agree the decision to attend college should be tailored specifically to the individual. I know plenty of kids in high school who didnt go to college, either bc they didnt want to, or bc they weren't financially able to despite wanting to. I was not under the impression that anyone forced this idea upon children. It is awfully expensive to be forced upon anyone. Perhaps things have changed since a decade ago??

I know I have the unpopular opinion here but what is going on with the string of:
-____(fill in the blanks) forced us to go to college to get an education;
-i cant get a job with a salary i "deserve" bc i have a college degree
-its all _____(fill in the blank) fault I cant get a job.

Where is personal responsibility in all this thinking?? Its all finger pointing and no personal accountability.

3 yrs ago when American companies started to outsource increasingly and blatantly, I was baffled...Now, I am beginning to understand it more and more! LOL!!

so you are a management consultant?? do you work in house at a bank? or at a management company and work for a bank on a consultant basis? your description is a bit vague.

I'm a FTE for an IB, currently a VP within a transformation program's PMO. Prior to that I worked within one of the bank's project teams managing and facilitating acquisitions and conversions - e.g. my bank bought another bank, we switched subcustodians and needed to migrate client assets, or took on a new client and needed to bring their portfolio into our systems and depositories. I've been with the company over 12 years though I moved once through my bank being acquired. I have considered consulting but never pulled the trigger.

I was not under the impression that anyone forced this idea upon children. It is awfully expensive to be forced upon anyone. Perhaps things have changed since a decade ago??

I know I have the unpopular opinion here but what is going on with the string of:
-____(fill in the blanks) forced us to go to college to get an education;
-i cant get a job with a salary i "deserve" bc i have a college degree
-its all _____(fill in the blank) fault I cant get a job.

Where is personal responsibility in all this thinking?? Its all finger pointing and no personal accountability.

3 yrs ago when American companies started to outsource increasingly and blatantly, I was baffled...Now, I am beginning to understand it more and more! LOL!!

^^I hear those strings A LOT, though mostly the second and third. There's often a sense of entitlement that jobs should be available because someone has a degree. :tdown:

All joking aside,I dont get how its a force fed idea of either college or McDonald's (work). I mean, if you are a 18 yr old high school grad, you are suppose to work OR go to college...how is that a "force fed" concept? I thought it was logical....or is a high school grad suppose to not go to college and not go to work? someone help! :biggrin:

I think there's nothing wrong with flipping burgers with or without a college degree. Bills need to be paid = you get a job IMO. If that's the job available you do that until something better comes along; being entitled to a "better" job while remaining unemployed because one's "too good" for a position is what really irks me. However, many people don't feel that way.

I think there's nothing wrong with flipping burgers with or without a college degree. Bills need to be paid = you get a job IMO. If that's the job available you do that until something better comes along; being entitled to a "better" job while remaining unemployed because one's "too good" for a position is what really irks me. However, many people don't feel that way.

this!!!

thank you! :biggrin:

this reminded me of my mother calling me as she commuted to work yesterday AM, she was telling me how the occupation has really forced her to leave the house earlier bc its hard to get to the office through the crowds. She asked me, "what do they want? a job? why dont they go look for one instead of sitting here?" lol.....i thought my mom made alot of sense. But then again, maybe its bc of her old fashioned, first generation immigrant mentality... :lol:

I'm a FTE for an IB, currently a VP within a transformation program's PMO. Prior to that I worked within one of the bank's project teams managing and facilitating acquisitions and conversions - e.g. my bank bought another bank, we switched subcustodians and needed to migrate client assets, or took on a new client and needed to bring their portfolio into our systems and depositories.

Ahh...ok, I get it now. Thanks for indulging me! ;)

I think everyone's experience is different. Like I mentioned upthread, in my community if you went to work somewhere instead of going to college there was A LOT of stigma attached, pressuring 99% of us to go to college when a lot of us did not want to and didn't feel it was right for us. Maybe in your area kids were raised to think it was okay to just go to work, but for a lot of people that's not the case.

I don't know if this is true, but I heard that there is a drastic shortage in trades like electricians, plumbers, air conditioning mechanics, etc, because everyone has to go to college. That is so unnecessary, since so many people don't belong in college, and there is nothing wrong with that.

It is definitely true. It's reflected in the skilled immigration laws in many countries. E.g., if you want to emigrate to Canada or Australia, you need to either a) have a trade or b) be qualified in a medical profession (nurse, doctor, radiologist, physiotherapist, etc.). Australia in particular has a massive demand for skilled tradespeople.

Of course there need to be people that go to college -- that is a given. A solid trade will get you MUCH further nowadays than a college degree (especially those very general ones... media studies, commerce, etc.)

I don't subscribe to the idea that going to college is a great "life experience" that makes you more educated in a general sense, and the majority of people should do it. If it were free, then sure. But not at the price that US students have to pay. Military service or some kind of voluntary civilian service program would be a far better choice IMO.

I agree that too many parents think college is the only option for their kids. My mom hated my boyfriend for so long because he wasn't interested in post-secondary. She thought that made him "stupid." He joined the army part time and it's his dream to become a police officer. School just wasn't his thing and being a cop where i live is a very good career(great pay, great benefits, etc.) Then again, i think it's much easier for males to not go to college because they have so many other options(military, trades), not to say that women can't do those things but there aren't too many that would be interested in those types of careers. I'm in college right now because i feel like it's my only option, i'm just gonna do things the old fashioned way, go to school, graduate, try to find my first job and go from there.

I totally agree with this. My bf was the same way a few years ago. He's not planning on getting a college education, he doesn't have any "skills" yet he refused to work any job in retail, serving people, etc. He was only like 19 at the time, had graduated hs and didn't have a job. I told him to apply to restaurants, stores, etc and he just said those jobs were "beneath" him. It really pissed me off because he was acting like such a spoiled brat. He felt entitled to a really great job even though he had no education and no skills, he was still a kid, it really irked me. He said he "refused" to work minimum wage. :lol: I actually laughed in his face. He eventually joined the army though but he still has the same mentality. His excuse was "what's wrong with striving for the best" but i didn't see it that way, he was acting like a spoiled brat.

It is definitely true. It's reflected in the skilled immigration laws in many countries. E.g., if you want to emigrate to Canada or Australia, you need to either a) have a trade or b) be qualified in a medical profession (nurse, doctor, radiologist, physiotherapist, etc.). Australia in particular has a massive demand for skilled tradespeople.

i dont practice immigration but it is my understanding that it takes much longer to obtain a green card in the USA if you do not have a formal education that either makes you well qualified for a specific position at a US company (H1 visa) or alien of extraordinary ability (O visas; usually Phds and beyond).

categories fluctuate in the USA but right now nurses is in great demand so it is easier /faster to obtain visas if you are a nurse wanting employment in the USA...but again, that is a trained profession.

what does Australia mean by "trade"?

i dont practice immigration but it is my understanding that it takes much longer to obtain a green card in the USA if you do not have a formal education that either makes you well qualified for a specific position at a US company (H1 visa) or alien of extraordinary ability (O visas; usually Phds and beyond).

categories fluctuate in the USA but right now nurses is in great demand so it is easier /faster to obtain visas if you are a nurse wanting employment in the USA...but again, that is a trained profession.

...I kind of leave out the US out of immigration conversations because it is basically impossible to immigrate there unless you win the Green Card lottery. lol.

I will tell you what I know from the research that led me to that conclusion. I many be misremembering some of it, since I read up on this a few years ago now.

You either need to have a job lined up for an H1 (in which case a college education is not mandatory iirc, only the job offer, proof that you are qualified for the job, and a positive labor market opinion, meaning there is no readily-available American who could do the job in question) or you need to have won some kind of accolade/international acclaim for an O visa (college education not mandatory -- it's the awards/opinions of press or peers in field that matter). The former is nearly impossible unless you happen to be employed by a company that runs a transfer program and has the legal clout to make it happen. And the latter is unlikely for most.. you have to be truly exceptional to get that visa.

ETA: I just looked it up and H1-B visas have fuzzy requirements but apparently it is assumed that a bachelor's degree is the minimum for a "specialty occupation". However fashion models are frequently given this visa on the strength of their looks (!)

In order to get a Lottery visa (i.e., be eligible to enter the lottery), you only need a high school diploma or the equivalent in your country, iirc.

what does Australia mean by "trade"?

A "trade" in UK English (i.e. in Aus English too) is someone like a plumber, mechanic, carpenter, boilermaker, gasfitter, turner and fitter. That sort of thing. Someone who has undertaken an apprenticeship under a tradesman, has worked under their supervision for X number of years, and has been granted tradesman status (i.e. their skills have been formally tested and recognised) by the relevant guild/union.

I agree that medical designations will always be in demand. You cannot go wrong with a nursing qualification. The nurses that are in the most demand in Canada are the licenced practical nurses... who do not need a degree to be licenced. You can qualify within a year at a community college for that career.