Do Coach SA's do this to you too?

Sunshine -- I think you should write a letter to that store's manager and tell them about your experience. This is the kind of thing where an SA thought they were doing what they should, but clearly were not, and need to be corrected.

kezza said:
Sunshine -- I think you should write a letter to that store's manager and tell them about your experience. This is the kind of thing where an SA thought they were doing what they should, but clearly were not, and need to be corrected.
Thanks kezza - I think I will:yes:

Is it just me, or, do the SAs at coach remind you of the SAs at Victorias Secret? I swear, the last time I walked into VS, I was 1) greeted 2) asked if I needed help another 3 feet in the door (said no) 3) walked to the back wall for bras and again, asked if I needed help looking for my size (got into a 5 min discussion about how the bra I picked up wasn't for "Everyday wear." I can decide that by myself, thanks!) 4) walked to the lotion table and asked if I needed help (said no again) and when I walked to the back of the store and wanted to try on the bra, no one seemed to be available! I gave up and left!!

I seem to find that the stores that care the most about margin, UPT and comission are wayyyy too pushy!! I too bring my ipod with me, and even then, the SAs will just hover until you "notice" them. It can be very frustrating!! :rant:

digby723 said:
Is it just me, or, do the SAs at coach remind you of the SAs at Victorias Secret?

Not for me. I don't know what it is about me, but the ladies at VS never approach me when I come in, don't greet me, and I've actually left stores in the past because I wanted help and nobody was around. I tried to get some people's attention, but they ignored me. :hrmm: :blink: That never happens at Coach.

Yeah, I've had that happen,too. I don't think it's entirely faked, because you really have to love your product to get people to part with their money. It's very clever, really, (for the unaware), because it establishes you as one of those with impeccable taste in bags, building rapport with a prospective customer. If you've figured it out, it doesn't work. I once had SA's "fight over me" I felt kind of weird and walked out.

As far as I know...
COACH, GUCCI, CHRISTIAN DIOR are ALLLLLLLLLLLL commissioned... the only one that I'm not sure about is Louis Vuitton...

my (ex) friend's cousin works there... I'm not friends with her anymore, BUT she told me that her cousin gets certain items for 50% off, and everything else is 30% off... and they can only buy a certain # of items per month...

my friend works at the COACH outlet store, and i know they count how many bags each SA sells. and if they become a "million dollar seller" they get a raise or a big bonus or something.

I have worked at both Coach and VS for about one year separately. I do not deny that the sales people are pushy, we are pushy b/c we get yelled at for not being pushy. At VS we were expected to get 3 clients to sign up for the Angels Credit Card a shift. If your average was less than 1 a shift per week you would get severely lectured/ yelled at/ and if this type of “poor” performance continued then the associate was written up. As w/ VS at all Coach stores there is absolutely no commission. All associates must make a monthly UPT goal of an average of 1.5 units per month. So every transaction under your name is added up and if the average is less than 1.5 items for the month you are written up, regardless of the dollar amount you sell. People at Coach are pushy because there is constant stress to make UPT, if you are written up 4 times you are FIRED.
Here is some advice to get ppl at these stores to ease up on you…
At VS, just lie and say you have the credit card even if you don’t, no one will quiz you on it lol. That way the associate can be heard by the manager that she is doing her job by asking if you have one.
At Coach: just say “I’m just looking around I’LL LET YOU KNOW IF I NEED HELP, WHAT IS YOUR NAME?” that way they can give you their name and if u need help ask, they will back off if they feel that you will be loyal to them.
And now here is a little soapbox about working in retail in general:
As a full time college student I work retail b/c it is one of the only line of employment that fits around my schedule. Luckily this summer I was able to escape the retail nightmare and got an office job. Working retail can be extremely stressful, other girls as well as myself would go home in tears because you would not believe how rude some customers can be. While you are a client in the store you deserve to be treated with respect and I wish more people would treat the associates with respect as well. I have had people yell at me b/c of prices, return policies, lack of a certain product, none of which are even partially under my control. I have greeted people in stores only to have them deliberately ignore me, turn their back towards me when they respond, or give me a very snippy, “JUST LOOKING!”
I also know that some sales people can be complete rude jerks, I have definitely experienced that as well but for all of us nice ones at there please make an effort to look us in the eye, say hello back, and let us know if you need help.

Meggy -
Thanks for sharing your side of the retail life. I think for those of us who've never been in the SA position it can be hard to remember that you need to meet your manager's expectations. I try to be considerate and friendly with SAs who treat me the same, and I'll remember to ask for names (I already let the SA know that I'll ask if I need anything). I didn't know that the VS SAs need to sign people up for the angels card . . . I've always turned it down, now I think I'll say I already have one like you suggested (don't need more credit cards :P).
It sounds like working at Coach isn't all beer and skittles (and discounts!) like I'd imagine it would be :lol:!

They are not on commision. But they do have very agressive sales goals to meet. They are only allowed to miss their goals a cetain amount of times before they are written up or terminated. They are also trained to do certain selling techniques with every customer. I.E adding addition items, talking product knowledge or trying to fiqure out the customers lifestyle to fit the right bag. They are trained and obligated to do all the steps with every customer. They mean well. Their job depends on it. But sometimes it does come off as pushy.

Units Per Transaction, I am guessing.

Like how many things you purchase at once. I usually by one bag and a charm wristlet or keychain to match so I am a 2UPT gal ;)

Hey all:biggrin: I am some what new to the purse forum (I just bought my first chloe not to long ago:love: ) Any who I thought I would look around the site and came across this posting. I'm not sure if this helps but I use to work for the LIMITED corporation for a while (they own Espress, Bath and Body Works, Limited etc.) and I did not work on com. but I had "sales goals" that I had to meet. So it made me feel like I might as well be working on com. It was almost like I had to attack any warm body that came shopping into the store just to meet my goals.:shocked: It was awful!!!!! People don't want to be stalked while they are shopping. You can always tell if this is the case if when you go to check out and someone else rings you up they will ask the other for their "number" so they can put it into the system. Hope this helps....and if the store SA are really bugging you them when you check out you can tell them that no one helped you and to ring the sale up to the house. (Store managers hate this becasue its not good when the house sells more then the SA:lol: