Do Coach SA's do this to you too?

There is a Coach store in the area that is super small (store size wise) and the SAs tend to be all over you. When I have the time, I go out to the one in Tyson's (Galleria) - it's large, and almost always empty.

Suli!
We share the same Mall! Tysons Galleria is my favorite place to shop. It is right near my office. I usually dont have too much pestering from them but this past weekend that was at Montgomery mall. And I have noticed it at Fair Oaks too.

Coach sales staff are non-commission, but they do have to make a sales goal, and also keep an acceptable UPT for the month. There are also some Teamshare payments to all employees, when the store makes a certain % over their store goal for the month. Coach just pushes a strong sales initiative, they have a 5 point plan for customer service, and they also secret shop all of their stores every month, to make sure the service is quality.

jane said:
They are very clingy. In every Coach store I have ever been to. It gets a bit annoying.

They were clingy in the Coach in Caesar's Palace, but that was because they were all rowding around to admire the bag I was carrying and then they tried to show me everything in the store. But here, where I live, the Coach SA's generally don't approach me, I have to ask for help and then they still aren't that nice. I guess it would be nice to find service that serves as a nice middleground between clingy and rude. lol

Over Christmas we were in the Coach store and the SA started crying while at the cash register because she was so overwhelmed! All the other SA's crowded around her and took her off in the corner while us customers should stood there in shock.

I love the Tysons Galleria store because they are helpful w/o being pushy or clingy. They were great last weekend when my shopping buddies and I practically took over their shoe area to try on sale shoes.

The Fair Oaks store is nice, but a bit more clingy. And the Tysons Corner Center store is so damn small that all they care about there is making sure nothing gets stolen! Ha!

I also love the store in West County mall (St Louis) but I only get there once or twice a year. I'm usually buying gift cards there for the nice neighbor lady who watches our kitties when we are visiting our family in STL. The Coach staff there always wraps it up so beautifully and includes a recent catalog "to help the recipient decide what to get" with the card. Hee.

They are just polite and like to ask me if I need help if I make eye contact with them. The only time I was ever followed was when I purchased multiple items so that I wouldn't have to carry anything I wanted and can still shop for other items.

Yes, I notice they give you compliments whenever you walk in carrying one of their bags or wearing their boots. They are more clingy than other stores.

It depends on the store, but usually they ask me if I need anything right away, and if I hesitate before saying "no" they push to offer any help. That's usually what I need anyway, but I'm always reluctant to be like "I'm here looking for this one specific item, where is it?" and would rather browse. But since they pick up on that hesitation they know that I really *do* need help with something, I'm just not saying so.
That said, the store at my local suburban mall is much less clingy than the stores downtown in the city, and I prefer shopping there. If you say you're browsing they'll let you browse without hovering, even if you're the only one in there (which is often the case). As soon as you look up, though, someone will scurry over to offer any assistance. I actually really enjoy getting help at that store, since they're more than happy to go digging around looking for exactly what I want, and they always encourage me to try out everything before making any decisions. It's made the difference between leaving empty handed and making a purchase I'm really happy with.

The SAs at Coach in Taiwan are very nice and helpful. They don't bother you unless it looks like you need help. I tried on like 10 different bags two days ago, and the SA was really patient and helpful :smile: However, I can't say the same for America. The SAs at the store I went to were a bit annoying as they kept following me around. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of the mall it was in, but it's somewhere in between Santa Monica and Downtown LA.

Yes there are sales goals...I think that pretty much every company has those. Coach just really emphasizes customer service...I guess that can be taken by some as pushy. When u go into a Coach and you are being overserviced, just let the SA know that you prefer to shop alone and if you have any questions, you will get their attention and ask. To be honest, the SA will probably be relieved too:smile:

I worked at Coach and they are very serious about customer service but it gets to the point where you do seem pushy to the customer imho. The SA's really don't want to follow you around but they have to. They train them to ask certain questions and to keep going back to a customer to ask if they can help. And they are VERY serious about multiple sales (high UPTs) and there is a lot of competion/stress. It's not about commission, it's about not getting yelled at by the manager. There's always a threat that you'll be let go. At least that's how it was at the store I worked at. :rolleyes:

It's been awhile since I've been in Coach, but I had that coupon and decided to take a peek. Well, a few steps in the front door, a friendly SA greeted me. There is always one posted at the door. I said hello and took a few steps further in and began to look at the new patchwork swingbags. Within seconds, this front door SA asked me if I was looking for anything in particular. I said not really, but then mistakenly said a birthday gift for a highschool girl. The SA asked me what price range. I looked at her and said no range. She actually attempted to guess at my price range - her response was "maybe $100-200?" I was really offended. I told her no, it doesn't matter on the cost, but rather if I feel she will like it or not. Anyway, she still wouldn't leave me alone and continued to talk too much. VERY irritating experience for me and I will think twice about returning to that store.