DIY: removing the weight distributor pad from the shoulder strap (w/ lots of pics)

Jun 15, 2011
Hey ladies! I got fed up with the strap of my First slipping off my shoulder constantly, so I did some searching and found that removing the "pad" from the shoulder strap solves the problem! Although this weight distributor pad is intended for comfort, for me, it's too wide and makes the strap slide right off my shoulder.
Anyway, I recently got another First... so when I removed the weight distributor this time, I took pics of the process. Hopefully, they'll be helpful to others...

Here's the weight distributor pad (sorry it's a bit hidden):
attachment.php

1. Use some painter's tape to cover the ends of the clip. This will prevent it from scratching the “o” ring during removal. The clip is really tight, so unless you put tape on it the metal to metal contact will cause scratches.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 2,216
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,186
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,176
3. Carefully, but with a little force, wiggle one side of the “bale” thru the first slot at an angle. I find it works best if you push it thru (see arrow), rather than pulling it. Wiggle the other side thru, so the entire “bale” has cleared the first slot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• w5.jpg
    w5.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 2,148
  • w7.jpg
    w7.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 2,144
  • w6.jpg
    w6.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 2,148
5. Reapply the tape and reattach the strap to the bag. Viola! That's it... takes less than 5 minutes. And best of all, no damage done and the “pad” can easily be put back on the strap if needed.

Hope that helps! :biggrin:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• w11.jpg
    w11.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2,146
  • w13.jpg
    w13.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 2,152
  • w14.jpg
    w14.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,146
Ha funny, I was carrying my black rh city today and got a tad irritated with my strap sliding (handling a shopping cart and 4 year old) I flipped the strap over...I tried removing the pad on my 06 emerald first a few years ago but stopped when I could not figure it out....never tried again on my other bals. THANK YOU for posting this!!!! Love your BL!!