Disliking CDC

So interesting! When I defended an item against pointed, deliberate mockery some months ago I was lambasted as someone who "couldn't take a joke." Apparently the right to express dislike is dispensed rather capriciously.
There is no purpose served by being disrespectful. These are personal, elective purchases and taking the time to state a negative opinion is generally unnecessary and hubristic, IMO.

Last edited:
I absolutely love the cdc look on others and drool over pics posted by tPfers.
Then I caved and bought several for myself including exotic leathers only to find I could not pull it off as I found the thickness uncomfortable on my wrist and sold them all off.
Still love seeing them on others!!

Sent from my LG-H820 using PurseForum mobile app

Thank you for sharing that Hermes Nuttynut.

Studded leather is obviously from medieval armor, I guess that predates punk fashion and hermes by a little too.
It is an edgy look regardless of who started it, all I meant was I'm surprised by the popularity simply due to the form factor.

i do admire those who can pull it off, they look great regardless of history. They will always look 'punk' to me due to the era I am from.

The early Romans were big fans of the pyramid shape and it is everywhere there. Today one sees it on the huge bronze and iron studded doors all over the city, and flattened as X's in railings and other patterns.

For a long time I did not like the CDC.....I felt that the bracelet was too big for me and the studs too pronounced. That being said, I love them on my friends and for years complimented them whenever they wore them. Then, one day not too long ago, I was with a friend at Hermes and she persuaded me to try on a croc CDC just for fun. Today, I have two and am stopping there. One is black crock/palladium and the other is amethyst croc/gold and I adore them! It took me a long time to feel comfortable in them but now that I do I wear these two pieces quite frequently and they give me no end of joy every time I look down at my wrist!

In life we change as we get older....what we might have not liked when we were 20 we might just adore when we're 40 and so on. I NEVER, EVER say negative things about someone else's choices in life.... If it's a dear friend I will give my honest opinion kindly and with consideration for his/her feelings. As I would want them to do for me.

Here's the history, quoted from ******** dot com:

In the 1920s, Parisian women liked to flaunt around the city with ensembles of big, protective dogs. In 1923, Hermes created leather dog collar with studded hardware for a client’s bulldog. The style spread and appealed to many fashion-savvy, Parisian women, so the dog collar became a permanent Hermes piece. The collars were so stylish to the point that fashion designers purchased them to wear as belts. Hermes picked up on the belt trend and introduced CDC belts in 1927. The hardware was so loved, and eventually inspired the Hermes CDC bracelet introduced in 1940.

I love the bracelet AND the story of it's origination.

1000% [emoji122][emoji106]

Reactions: Hermes Nuttynut
Maybe I'm not understanding something here but I don't see why it's offensive to say, "I don't like style/item X." As opposed to saying, "I don't like style/item X on YOU." I can see the latter ruffling feathers, but that's not what OP wrote or intended.

Oh, and the inspiration for the CDC is from very old dog collars that Hermes has its museum collection (at least that's what I was told on the tour). The guide made a point of showing the various dog collars and explaining that the originals used a fairly broad and thick strip of leather and large, often sharp spikes, to protect dogs' throats from attacks by wolves and other predators. So ... definitely not a punk-influenced design.

You can see all variables of H dog collars on the CDC scarves. If no one gets there first I'll post when I get home (there'll be a long gap though - long day).

The idea of wearing witty or surreal items was a key feature of 1930s and '40s fashion most notably seen in Maison Schiaperelli and hated by Chanel.

I like punk too!

IMO a thread asking for opinions warrants honesty and tactful truthfulness of course but a reveal is the tPF equivalent of a party, go in with a smile or stay home.

Last edited:
I had no intention that my question would be interpreted like that.
Now that I see how easily it could/has cause(d) offence I sincerely apologise.

OP, I think that it is so hard to read context in a few written lines, and I think you were probably misunderstood. This happens to me sometimes with emails and text messages - it is so hard to hear the intended tone through the written blurb.
I can totally see how you may have meant, to paraphrase, "I don't get the popularity of the CDC but I don't want to comment in an existing thread to ask if anyone else feels the same way because I wouldn't want owners of the CDC to feel bad. So does anyone else feel the same way?"
I *think* that is what you were asking/saying, not that you were literally wondering if you should comment on reveal threads saying that you didn't like their CDC!
There are lots of threads on tPF with subjects like, "______ - what am I missing?" As happened in this thread, there are usually some very informative posts that explain the history, significant or specialness of _____. That is one of the great things about tPF.

nicole, I think you summarized things very well. OP, I am glad you ultimately found value in this thread.
mistikat, I definitely understand your point--and my "point" was, I agree, rather off-topic and not relevant to the OP's inquiry.
To explain myself: I guess I draw my line in just a slightly different place: I see a vast difference between: "This pattern/item doesn't appeal to me/suit me" and "This pattern is ugly" or "This item is ridiculous." Technically, none of these remarks specifically disses an individual, but the first version is obviously a statement of opinion (fine) and the second is a blanket condemnation and mockery (not fine). IMO. I have seen both types of commentary on tPF and the impacts are viscerally different. Also IMO.
And now I guess we can stop whacking this horse? :P

I love the CDC look on others and drooled over the stacking and matching accessories threads. Recently I had purchased a black gator CDC with ghw. Took it home and tried it again and found that it didn't suit me. I had envisioned it to go as a beautiful strong statement piece for an evening event I have coming up later this month, but somehow the CDC didn't sit well with me. Perhaps it was too strong for me now. I usually go for more daintier jewelry pieces. Returned it the next week to the boutique and got a hapi bracelet the week after. I'm much happier with the look of the hapi on me rather than the CDC. Still loving the CDC on others and a little envious on how lovely they still look on other people's wrists, but doesn't elicit the same feel when I wear it on my own wrist.

Definitely easier to misconstrue words over texting and internet. Tonal inflection and facial gestures are lacking so somethings may come across completely different than intended.

I'm glad to learn new information and history about Hermes. Quite informative. Thanks!!

I guess I do understand the original intent of the post, OP was asking if they are in the minority on disliking how H uses the CDC hardware and it would seem that the answer is Yes, many more people seem to like the use of the CDC hardware in many of its forms and on a variety of leather even if they themselves wouldn't wear all the pieces.

But we have lots of thread where you can post your likes and dislikes though the dislike threads hurt feelings or make people upset sometimes. I'm glad to hear more of the history of the CDC in this thread but it seems few agree with OP and these types of threads are easy to misinterpret. OP, why not add to one of the H item you dislike or H item you would never buy threads? Then you're not pointing at a specific member or their item.

Reactions: Hermes Nuttynut