Scarves Discussion Devoted to Hermès Headscarves

A lot of OT discussion has been on the topic of scarves worn on the head (16 pages devoted to headscarves alone). I thought we should give this topical conversation a home going forward, started off by a few to get you going.

This thread is dedicated to all discussion of scarves as head-bands, hairbands, headscarves, Spanish-style, wraps, bun-covers or whatever. So long as the scarf is on the head you may bring it to this thread

credit h.com

Attachments

• la-source-de-pegase-scarf-90--003434S%2006-worn-6-50-0-850-850_b.jpg
    la-source-de-pegase-scarf-90--003434S%2006-worn-6-50-0-850-850_b.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 809
Hi FugitiveRouge, I love the first style in your post - a hat/turban without too much fabric on the front. I have the Kachina wash scarf in pink and I tried to duplicate it but can’t figure it out. Could you please explain? Thank you!

I like head scarves, wraps, head bands, turbans, and other silks worn on the head. I prefer the washed silk, vintage, or personally frequently handwashed scarves for the toothiness to stay put. Scarves can be washed!

I wear scarves in lieu of hats on bad hair days or days when I can't be bothered to fix my unruly mop. I like to wear them to keep my ears warm. Sometimes I just enjoy looking eccentric while I run errands.

I'm not a fan of the pirate headscarf. But maybe this is the only way to model the scarves on the head without being controversial?
View attachment 4627808
(Eccentric weird aunt turban that could offend the Sikhs?)

View attachment 4627810
(Headband á la @papertiger... Inoffensive but not likely to show off the pattern for marketing purposes)

View attachment 4627809
(Possibly an example of inappropriate cultural appropriation? I'm curious whether this is offensive to African American culture; it's not intended to be. I just love the expression of color and pattern and interesting knots on the head. Maybe this kind of discussion point is too controversial for TPF)

In sum: maybe the pirate scarf is the only way to show headscarves without inviting some potential cultural backlash?

Wonderful! as someone who is bad with hair styling, and has not been blessed with particularly good hair, I love wearing stuff on my head. With Hermes carrees I tend to go with the classic red riding hood style (I like to tie it front and back). I do think combined with a trench or classic coat or even a leather jacket it remains an easy and glam look.

I think the pirate thing is just about whoever is the stylist of the Hermes shots finding that it showcases the print well, which is what the pics seek after all.

By the way, what’s the ‘Spanish style’ @papertiger is referring to?

I'll chime in from the male perspective. Many years ago, Echo ran an ad with a scarf tied "Kelly" style, and large dark glasses with the caption "The Echo of an Interesting Woman". Well, i will "echo" that sentiment...women who wear good headscarves (Hermes, natch, but also Ferragamo and Gucci) be it in a pirate, Kelly or knotted beneath the chin, rock the really, really, interesting vibe IMHO.

John in DFW

Anybody have any idea how this headband look is achieved? I would love to try it with some of my 90s!

Attachments

• carre90-jungle-love--003513SC01-flat-1-300-0-1700-1700-q99_b.jpg
    carre90-jungle-love--003513SC01-flat-1-300-0-1700-1700-q99_b.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 65
  • carre90-jungle-love--003513SC01-worn-6-0-0-1700-1700-q50_b.jpg
    carre90-jungle-love--003513SC01-worn-6-0-0-1700-1700-q50_b.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: hannahsophia
Reactions: shrpthorn