Dior Diorama or Chanel med/large double flap?

Imanaqvi1

Jul 16, 2014
Hello,
I am looking for a gray bag with silver hardware that can go from day to evening.
I really like how Dior Diorama looks. I am just worried about the staying power of the bag in a few years time.

I own two Chanel med/large double flaps (black and beige) in diamond quilting that I love.
I also own a Chanel boy bag black with light gold hardware in diamond quilting in the old medium size. I love that one as well. All my Chanel bags are in caviar leather.

I am very confused between getting a medium diorama - gray with silver hardware
and a med/large Chanel Chevron double flap - gray with silver hardware

I would love to know some of your opinions on this :smile:

Last edited:
Hello,
I am looking for a gray bag with silver hardware that can go from day to evening.
I really like how Dior Diorama looks. I am just worried about the staying power of the bag in a few years time.

I own two Chanel med/large double flaps (black and beige) in diamond quilting that I love.
I also own a Chanel boy bag black with light gold hardware in diamond quilting in the old medium size. I love that one as well. All my Chanel bags are in caviar leather.

I am very confused between getting a medium diorama - gray with silver hardware
and a med/large Chanel Chevron double flap - gray with silver hardware

I would love to know some of your opinions on this :smile:
As @fashion_junky said, why not diversify your collection? You already have a Chanel Boy, so it'll be nice to have a different style.

The grey grained calfskin Diorama with silver hardware and lacquered lock is amazing. @hightea_xx can tell you more about it because he has one.

I also agree. Diorama is a beatiful modern designed bag. I have one in gold wrinkled metallic calfskin with silver hardware and white clasp and it looks gorgeous. Hope you will enjoy it!!

Hi Diorama fans,
I'm new to Dior and unable to visit a Dior boutique to see one in person. I have three quick questions, if you could help educate me-
1) Do all Diorama bags have suede interiors?
2) Is it comparable to a Le Boy bag, but more tapered on the top (not as boxy)?
3) Is the clasp more user friendly than a Le Boy bag?
Please forgive me if these questions have been asked and answered somewhere I didn't see.
Thank you in advance!
Enjoy your day!!!

Hi Diorama fans,
I'm new to Dior and unable to visit a Dior boutique to see one in person. I have three quick questions, if you could help educate me-
Please forgive me if these questions have been asked and answered somewhere I didn't see.
Thank you in advance!
Enjoy your day!!!
1) Most of them do now, but not all. When Maria Grazia Chiuri's accessories team took over at Dior, the Diorama started to feature suede lining. By now, all the new models have suede lining, but the older grained calfskin and lambskin versions that have not been sold at boutiques yet still have canvas lining. There aren't many of those left, though, because the Diorama sells very well.

2) It is more streamlined (less boxy) than the Boy Chanel, which is one of the major reasons why the bag is so successful.

3) I personally think it is. The Boy clasp has two buttons to pinch which are so close to the leather that they risk scratching the bag with your nails to pinch them. The Diorama lock simply requires you to insert the crest into the opening, and is very secure.

It's a wonderful bag. Even some fans of the Chanel Boy have ventured into Diorama bags.

1) Most of them do now, but not all. When Maria Grazia Chiuri's accessories team took over at Dior, the Diorama started to feature suede lining. By now, all the new models have suede lining, but the older grained calfskin and lambskin versions that have not been sold at boutiques yet still have canvas lining. There aren't many of those left, though, because the Diorama sells very well.

2) It is more streamlined (less boxy) than the Boy Chanel, which is one of the major reasons why the bag is so successful.

3) I personally think it is. The Boy clasp has two buttons to pinch which are so close to the leather that they risk scratching the bag with your nails to pinch them. The Diorama lock simply requires you to insert the crest into the opening, and is very secure.

It's a wonderful bag. Even some fans of the Chanel Boy have ventured into Diorama bags.

Thank you so much for your response.
As always, I'm late for this party, too. I am allergic to suede, yet love the bag. Ugh! :facepalm:
When designers (Dior, Celine, Hermes,...) decided to go on a suede lining binge, I had to minimize my choices of companies and bag styles to very few.
Most people love or extremely dislike suede to be used for bag interiors. I wish they decided to use microfiber.
I'm bummed. :crybaby:
Thank you, again!!!

Thank you so much for your response.
As always, I'm late for this party, too. I am allergic to suede, yet love the bag. Ugh! :facepalm:
When designers (Dior, Celine, Hermes,...) decided to go on a suede lining binge, I had to minimize my choices of companies and bag styles to very few.
Most people love or extremely dislike suede to be used for bag interiors. I wish they decided to use microfiber.
I'm bummed. :crybaby:
Thank you, again!!!
Sorry to hear that. That certainly limits some choices. Would it be possible that you are only allergic to the way some suede leathers are dyed? Technically all leather is suede. The suede is just the reverse side of the leather. It may be a tanning oil or treatment chemical that you are allergic to.

There are still Diorama bags with fabric lining. Ask for the structured grained calfskin Diorama bag with the lacquered lock. It has the fabric lining.

Sorry to hear that. That certainly limits some choices. Would it be possible that you are only allergic to the way some suede leathers are dyed? Technically all leather is suede. The suede is just the reverse side of the leather. It may be a tanning oil or treatment chemical that you are allergic to.

There are still Diorama bags with fabric lining. Ask for the structured grained calfskin Diorama bag with the lacquered lock. It has the fabric lining.

You know your leather and the tanning treatment.:smile:
It's easier for me to say I have a suede allergy, than it is to get into the chemical make-up of a tanning and softening process, because all suede (shoes, bags, jewelry) finishes cause my hands to break out. Even finished leather can cause breakouts. It could be the oil, the chromium or formaldehyde. Who knows. Most people don't know about the chemicals, so I just say "allergy" to explain it as easily as possible.
In short, Chanel pebbled calfskin is the only leather I have had complete success handling, when it comes to handbags. Shoes- Cydwoq and Vince shoes only, or canvas.
All other leather causes eczema, and most suede finishes cause raised welts.
I'm looking at Dior because their metallics and finished calfskin look like the leather has a "coating".
I talked to an SA and she was wonderful. She texted photos of fabric interior bags and said to call or text if I had more questions. I'll be posting, if I get one.
Thank you again for your help and supportive words! :tup:
Enjoy!!!

Hi Diorama fans,
Thank you in advance!
Enjoy your day!!!
I find the Dioramaa clasp more userfriendly, just a gentle push on the clasp . I was debating between the boy and diorama too, decided to go with a diorama in medium + chanel mini flap (on waitlist)

Reactions: Mousy