Dinky chain straps

what is the difference in the dinky chains from the outlet vs boutique? Are they the same length? Thanks
The outlet ones are slightly shorter than the boutique ones that’s why I returned it. As far as quality they are pretty comparable. Both have a nice weight and not cheap looking/feeling, boutique slightly better but more expensive too. I would have kept the outlet one instead, but wanted that slight difference in length. Somewhere I posted a comparison shot of the chains awhile back. Might have been fall of 2019? I currently own the boutique gold and the gunmetal one.

The outlet ones are slightly shorter than the boutique ones that’s why I returned it. As far as quality they are pretty comparable. Both have a nice weight and not cheap looking/feeling, boutique slightly better but more expensive too. I would have kept the outlet one instead, but wanted that slight difference in length. Somewhere I posted a comparison shot of the chains awhile back. Might have been fall of 2019? I currently own the boutique gold and the gunmetal one.
Thanks!! I am super short so thinking outlet would work best

Reactions: americandreaming
I'm interested in buying a vintage coach bag without the original strap. Instead the seller has a new dinky gold toned metal chain for the strap. Even on the coach website I can't seem to find out what this metal and coating is. I prefer solid brass for hardware and would be concerned the metal would tarnish over time. Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you!

I'm interested in buying a vintage coach bag without the original strap. Instead the seller has a new dinky gold toned metal chain for the strap. Even on the coach website I can't seem to find out what this metal and coating is. I prefer solid brass for hardware and would be concerned the metal would tarnish over time. Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you!
I usually prefer the original strap but that's not always available, but sometimes it's best to pass on a bag that is missing a strap and wait for a better option, even if it is a little more expensive.

But I have used chain straps a few times to rehab for small bags that were rare and/or inexpensive. Coach sells several different styles and weights of chain straps. There are Made for the Outlet Store silver and gold straps that are a little thinner and lighter (and cheaper) and also the usually heavier Made for the Retail store chain straps.

I don't think that you can expect solid brass on a made for outlet strap, but I have used a gold outlet chain strap as a replacement on my Madison Gracie for many years and I have never had problems with discoloration or tarnish.

I used a heavier, dark gunmetal Made for Retail Store chain on my suede fringe Dinky. This dinky originally came with a silver metal chain strap that was interwoven with suede, so I thought that a silver chain strap would look best, but I tried a few different straps and I decided that the gunmetal chain was the best option. You can see photos of these 2 bags with replacement chain straps at the link below:

Coach sells some replacement straps on their coach.com website but they can be expensive. Unless the Dinky bag that you are considering is very rare or really cheap (or both!) I'd advise waiting to find a bag that is intact. Good luck!

Last edited:
I usually prefer the original strap but that's not always available, but sometimes it's best to pass on a bag that is missing a strap and wait for a better option, even if it is a little more expensive.

But I have used chain straps a few times to rehab for small bags that were rare and/or inexpensive. Coach sells several different styles and weights of chain straps. There are Made for the Outlet Store silver and gold straps that are a little thinner and lighter (and cheaper) and also the usually heavier Made for the Retail store chain straps.

I don't think that you can expect solid brass on a made for outlet strap, but I have used a gold outlet chain strap as a replacement on my Madison Gracie for many years and I have never had problems with discoloration or tarnish.

I used a heavier, dark gunmetal Made for Retail Store chain on my suede fringe Dinky. This dinky originally came with a silver metal chain strap that was interwoven with suede, so I thought that a silver chain strap would look best, but I tried a few different straps and I decided that the gunmetal chain was the best option. You can see photos of these 2 bags with replacement chain straps at the link below:

Coach sells some replacement straps on their coach.com website but they can be expensive. Unless the Dinky bag that you are considering is very rare or really cheap (or both!) I'd advise waiting to find a bag that is intact. Good luck!
Thanks very much for your reply! That's helpful...I'm newbie to this so I appreciate it. I think I will pass afterall.

Reactions: katev