Dilemma...Thinking of selling gunmetal Bays...

keeledover

Aug 9, 2008
OK, ladies, what should I do?

I've been thinking of acquiring a new Summer Mulberry - since visiting Cheshire Oaks recently, seeing SJs exhaustive Shepton list and Charley's lovely denim Poppy, not to mention the great new collection, I'm even more tempted!! I'm thinking of a white patent Bays, or cream/coconut poppy.

I have the funds, but am trying to be economical - Husband and I have recently got good new jobs, which is great, but we have had to relocate. The housing market is dire so we are paying for 2 properties - renting in our new place and paying for the house we can't sell :sad: I Spoke to Hubby, he said that he'd rather I sold a bag I'm not using first rather than just a get a new one as we don't know how long we're going to be paying for an empty house. This is fair enough, but now I;m in a dilemma.

I was so pleased to find the gunmetal bays - it's really rare that the colour comes up, it's got silver hardware, and it unusual - which I like. However none of my bags are that summery and I'm really keen to get a lighter colour. I haven't used the Bays yet, and I can't help but wonder if I'm keeping is as "rare artifact"(!) as I was swayed by the colour, and not considering it as a usuable bag. As I say, I have the funds, but after the chat with hubby I feel uncomforable spending more money given our situation and the fact that I've not used an existing bag. I love it, but perhaps not enough to use - does that make sense? Do you have bags that you love to possess but not sure about using?

Any advice appreciated!

My black roxy was a little like that, I loved to posess her because she was so beautiful, but I didn't use her because we didn't get along at all. I sold her
But I must admitt when I see an oak roxy I sometimes get a little tempted to try one again.

I had a patent bentley grey bays, coveted it and was so excited to get it. Used it once and just knew I wouldn't use it again. I sold it and don't regret it as the money afforded me the opportunity to get Denim Mabel who I know I will get lots more use out of

Wait a month or two. summer isn't here yet and your circumstances might change. if you sell gunmetal bays you may not be able to find another should you regret it.

And it sounds utterly gorgeous, especially with the silver harware! Did you ever post piccies?

Right, I'm sorely tempted to advise you to sell (so that I can snaffle it!! :greengrin:smile: but that's not what I'm going to say because I think you might regret it.

Having said that though, why do you think that you haven't used it? Style? Colour? Size? I think that once you've worked that out, you'll find your decision a bit easier to make :tup:

Do you know what? That is EXACTLY how I felt about my bronze Bayswater. It was rare, would never be produced again, absolutely beautiful. And would be perfect once I'm grown up enough to start using a Bayswater :lol: Like, it's classic with a twist.

But, ultimately, the bag just wasn't me so I never used it. I sold it and have never regretted it. I used the money to buy the Milton which is SUCH a me bag that I think it was a good decision on my part.

Why don't you use it a few times and see how you feel? That's what I did with bags I was unsure about - specifically bronze Bays & my Stam. I took them on a sort of final outing and it confirmed it for me so I stuck them on eBay. If you use it and love it, then you'll be happy to hang onto it.

Wait, till you find THE BAG which you instantly fall in love with!
Gunmetal Bays is gorgeous and if you replace her, it has to be with a bag you love more.
It seems you do not know which bag you really want now, so wait till you are sure!

Can I ask why you haven't used it yet? It would have been a good winter bag so just wondered what stopped you from using it - and would the answer be enough for you to keep or offload it?

Well I am more than happy to take her off your hands!!! But I have to say I agree that you should wait until you find a bag that is so great that you are willing to part with your Bays...sigh....:angel:

Thanks for the comments everyone - it's weird, I've been trying to rationalise it and make no sense even to myself !! I have 2 other Bays which I use regularly, so it's not a case of the style not being me. It's good to hear others can identify with wanting to keep bags when usability is not top of the agenda!
Maple, I've been thinking about why I haven't used it, and I think it's mostly to do with fear of damage (which is weird becasue I've never felt that so much about the others). The gunmetal is in soft grain leather, which feels so light and smooth - i think I'm less guarded about my oak and black congo as they seem tougher. Perhaps it is the fact that it's rarer and I'm treating it like a museum piece!

Dita, dod you feel like that about your Bronze Bays? Ditto anyone else who had a "prized possession" mulberry?

At the moment, my instinct is to sit on it (not literally!) and see - as Jo says, circs can change. I am thinking more about a white patent Bays tho...

My bronze was the old style metallic which meant that the metallic coating would wear off over time, leaving chocolate visible. This bothered me and, ultimately, is what put me off using the bag. I would imagine the soft grain metallic is more permanent.

Hi I had the bayswater in gunmetal, gold & also the emmy in bronze & sold all of them. They looked great but werent hard wearing & worried everytime I used them that they would get damaged. I do prefer to keep my mulberry bags in the dust bags & throw around my tula black leather bag its crazy. I sold them coz I couldnt justify not using them. I do regret selling them at times & have been tempted when seen them online but there is always another ones I like more.

pls don't sell it! its a gorgeous bag...its so versatile..i have the silver goatskin bays very similar to gunmetal bays, with silver hardware. the silver goes with everything i wear her thru summer and winter....she makes anyoutfit pop..why have'nt u been using her? r u worried about scatches/ rainmark?..the silver finish is perfect on the goatskin ,really durable and totally rainproof..she's such an unusual colour and so hard to find...i've been using mine non stop for past 2 years..i take her to work and wherever..she's pretty tough and the grainy texture means that small scratches don't show up much...xx

I have to say, and being completely honest, it sounds to me like you are keeping the bag because it is rare and unusual rather than because you really love it!

Can you honestly say that if you keep it for 1 year you are going to actually use it or are you always going to reach for one of your other bags?

And, if you can say that you really will use it - why have you not used it already?

If it would really break your heart to have to get rid of it then keep it but, as I said, to me it sounds like you won't actually use it but you want it.

Sorry to go against everybody else but this is my honest opinion.

I'm 99% decided... I think I'm going to let her go. I got her out to take to sunday lunch today, got Hubby to take to following photo with her. I'm just not sure and I think Ali is right, I'm swayed by the rarity rather then thinking of getting lots of use out of it. I wondered if I was saving her as a "best " bag, but don;t think this is the case. she didn't comeout to lunch - Black Araline came instead.

I just can't put my finger on it - I wonder if it's not "metallic" enough - I think a more silvery colour would perhaps suit me best (samiyakh, your silver goatskin one sounds fab)

Attachments

• IMG_3541.JPG
    IMG_3541.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 91