Did you stop buying/using contemporary bags once you go luxury?

I've bought 2 bags that are not luxury labels since I got into designer bags, both are from an Australian brand called Witchery, and both were on sale- they suited the purposes of 1. bag specifically bought to use for a wedding outfit (guest) and 2. as a knock around bag during summer.

I like both of them and still use them but I definitely lean towards my designer bags in preference, especially now as I have some smaller designer bags in my collection (previously tended to go for larger bags). They just make me happier.

My favorite bags this summer were not premier luxury
heimat atlantica straw Reed bags. They add a touch of whimsy to outfits
If my RTW is premier luxury, I also like to wear Birkenstocks or non designer shoes to tone down
(Bloch two tone Mary Janes; Bloch is a comfy ballet slipper company)

IMG_1594.jpegIMG_1270.jpegIMG_0829.jpegIMG_0873.jpeg

Reactions: cecchetti
I only use my luxury bags. To be honest, I don't own any contemporary/cheaper bags. Not that I'm a snob, I'm not, but I like what I like. I prefer luxury because it makes me feel better. If I want to fund another one, I turn to Fashionphile or Yoogi's Closet. A lot of times I'll sell one to fund another one. The last new luxury bag I bought was an LV ALMA BB direct from LV's website. That was almost 2 years ago. Now I buy pre-loved. Easier on my wallet.

I have quite a few Chanel’s and a few Hermes and other designer bags. However, I purchased two Coach shearling chain bags last year for my winter purses. They were (and are) so cute! I can’t wait to bring them back come winter. I’m very haptic and love softness and texture. Oh, and I also bought a copper colored velvet handheld top handle very small bucket shaped bag from Anthro in 2021 that I wear with trendy jeans and a black top that always gets me compliments. So yes! I have gone contemp post designer.

While I aspire to own a nice collection of good stuff, I very much like ordinary bags at ordinary prices for beater use. When i'm pushing a shopping cart or helping with something laborious, I don't want to use something nice. I feel the same way about shoes - if i'm going to some festival or rowdy place I won't wear my good shoes because they'll get grimy/stepped on.

@880: In response to your T shirt asking “Why have there been no great women artists?” What about Mary Cassatt, Frida Kahlo, Georgia O’Keefe, Helen Frankenthaler, etc.? Time toss that T into the recycling bin. Fun straw bags.

@880: In response to your T shirt asking “Why have there been no great women artists?” What about Mary Cassatt, Frida Kahlo, Georgia O’Keefe, Helen Frankenthaler, etc.? Time toss that T into the recycling bin. Fun straw bags.
Thanks :smile: The Dior t shirt is meant to be ironic, and I wear it as I am a visual artist (and a woman) myself

im a fan of those artists, and I can also think, off the top of my head, of a few more. :drinks:

of course, capitalism and luxury are taking advantage of being PC/ feminism, but some think, why not get the mileage

In a way, to bring my response back to topic, I was thinking about Heimat Atlantica when I put on the T shirt and the contemporary bag, bc she designed bags meant to showcase the heritage of weaving straw reeds and the natural material by local Spanish and Portuguese artisans, mainly women. I met Monserrat, the founder of Heimat, after I purchased two of her bags. She has a background in art history, fashion, anrchitecture, and is interested in the role of architecture developing the image of luxury brands. I love her bags, but her background makes me even more willing to explore her line (she will be expanding into RTW)

ETA: forgot to add, I learned about the t shirt after it was discontinued, so I searched for one in excellent condition at resale, and it’s one of my favorites :smile: My other favorite is a jim Morrison t shirt that I wear with premier luxury RTW. . . and contemporary bags for a fun high low contrast. That contrast is the other reason why I think contemporary bags will always have a place in my wardrobe. I’m just waiting for birkenstock to come out with a bag lol.

Last edited:
I do Own contemporary bags, although I don’t think I’d buy any more..
I’ve already boxed one up in a gift box, in the dust bag, which literally looks unused, to gift as a Christmas present , to make room in my collection for a new luxury bag, and I’ll probably gift more next year..although I don’t have a very long wishlist I do tend to use the same bags all of the time..
In an ideal world I’d only use exotic bags, but I live in the U.K., so that’s not very practical as it rains a lot-although my Jimmy Choo has been used as a year round bag..I could use an H exotic as a winter bag…my Laurus bag is too small to be practical, I need a larger model.

I haven’t stopped using them as I own a few and use them to ring the changes..

I don’t consider myself either a luxury buyer or a contemporary buyer. I buy something if I like it and I’m prepared to pay a lot if I love it. I follow my own quirks and preferences. Eg I love natural fibres. I loathe microfibre linings in bags. Plastic zips ditto. I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than carry a pleather bag. Nothing luxury about plastic no matter how much they’re asking for it or how on trend it is.

I don’t consider myself either a luxury buyer or a contemporary buyer. I buy something if I like it and I’m prepared to pay a lot if I love it. I follow my own quirks and preferences. Eg I love natural fibres. I loathe microfibre linings in bags. Plastic zips ditto. I’d rather stick pins in my eyes than carry a pleather bag. Nothing luxury about plastic no matter how much they’re asking for it or how on trend it is.
I agree with you. I have bought and sold my Chanel, LV, Rebecca Minkoff, and MK bags over the last decade. I'm not one of those people who will love a bag JUST because it's a designer (and I know plenty of people like this, it's their money, so let's agree to disagree). I'm a huge fan of Celine, YSL, and Mansur Gavriel because they match my aesthetic and I am very satisfied with the overall quality and cost per wear. I have my eye on Chanel again, and a Cuyana tote next, and maybe one day a Birkin will bring me "purse peace" haha. What I have stopped buying are trendy, pretty but no substance faux leather bags from Zara. The quality is awful and I would much rather use a plain old canvas tote (which I do sometimes) than ever waste money on a Zara bag or faux leather.

• Love
Reactions: cecchetti
My thoughts on luxury handbags vs contemporary handbags have changed. A couple years ago I got on the luxury handbag wagon. To date, I have a collection of 5 luxury handbags. Except for my YSL Large College bag, the others are all preloved and were not crazy priced. Two classic LV Alma PM’s in empreinte and EPI leather and an LV Montaigne PM in classic monogram. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and I recently got influenced to look for and buy a Chanel GST Tote. I have never had a Chanel bag before. But, I thought the GST was a good bag to start with as it is one of the least expensive Chanel bags out there and has glowing reviews. I found one on Fashionphile for $2,500. Classic black with gold hardware. It came complete with an authenticity card, dust bag and box. Listed in Very Good condition so I ordered it. I have ordered from Fashionphile before and typically their bags are better than the condition stated. While I was waiting for my Fashionphile delivery I stumbled upon a Kate Spade (yes, y’all a Kate Spade) Natalia Tote at my local Nordstrom Rack. Classic black with gold hardware. I was amazed in how the silhouette was nearly identical to the Chanel GST Tote. The leather is soft and luxurious. The hardware is substantial. Bottom feet. So, for a whopping $199 I went ahead and bought it, but truly expecting to return it after I got my Chanel! I mean a Chanel! A day later my Chanel GST Tote was delivered. I couldn’t wait to open the box and pull this glorious Chanel bag out of the box. I was trembling with the anticipation! OMG….I was about to touch a Chanel handbag!! OMG!! I was totally expecting this bag to make my “lowly“ Kate Spade bag look like a hunk of junk. Boy, was I ever wrong! What a complete let down. Right out of the box there was absolutely no wow factor with the Chanel GST Tote…which one would absolutely expect for $2,500 and based on the YouTube influencers. The caviar leather all these YouTube reviewers and influencers gush and swoon over…lies. There is absolutely nothing special about this leather. Nothing. It didn’t smell like leather and the touch didn’t feel luxurious. And, yes, to any doubters…this was an authentic bag. The lining was fabric (which I knew, but still….) and the hardware had plating wear. The back zipper wall…a plastic zipper. No bottom feet. Really, Fancy Pants Chanel? Literally within 30 minutes of receiving the Chanel GST Tote it was boxed back up and the return label printed and affixed. First thing the next morning, the box was dropped off at UPS. Good riddance. Give me my money back, Fashionphile. This Chanel GST Tote turned out to be the real hunk of junk. Today I am proudly carrying my gorgeous Kate Spade Natalia Tote. Let’s be honest here. Who are we trying to impress buying these ridiculously priced Chanel and other luxury brands? Unless you are a Kardashion, most people assume these bags us regular people are carrying are fakes anyway. And, the quality typically isn’t any better than a contemporary brand. I have a Coach Rogue 25 handbag that the leather and quality far exceeds that of the Chanel GST Tote I just returned. I also have noticed that these YouTube reviewers and influencers sell their bags more often than they change their underwear. Carefully review the comments of any YouTube review and way down below when someone asks if they still have the bag and can talk about wear and tear they usually respond they had sold the bag! So, as I see it…we are not only being duped by these luxury handbag fashion houses but also by these YouTube influencers! We are being provided misinformation (or actually disinformation). We are being convinced these luxury handbags are the best quality as they rave how great the bag is….but later sell it! If it was so great, why did they sell it? And, I don’t want to hear the typical response…to fund another bag. BS. And, with today’s economy you can’t convince me anyone is making a profit selling these luxury handbags. In summary, after going the luxury route…I do enjoy and love the luxury handbags I currently have. But, I won’t buy anymore. I will continue to buy contemporary bags. My lowly Kate Spade Natalia Tote opened my eyes to this. Whether luxury or contemporary, they all do the same thing anyway….carry my stuff around. And, I like keeping the difference in money spent in my bank account…and not being conned by luxury fashion houses and YouTube influencers.

My thoughts on luxury handbags vs contemporary handbags have changed. A couple years ago I got on the luxury handbag wagon. To date, I have a collection of 5 luxury handbags. Except for my YSL Large College bag, the others are all preloved and were not crazy priced. Two classic LV Alma PM’s in empreinte and EPI leather and an LV Montaigne PM in classic monogram. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and I recently got influenced to look for and buy a Chanel GST Tote. I have never had a Chanel bag before. But, I thought the GST was a good bag to start with as it is one of the least expensive Chanel bags out there and has glowing reviews. I found one on Fashionphile for $2,500. Classic black with gold hardware. It came complete with an authenticity card, dust bag and box. Listed in Very Good condition so I ordered it. I have ordered from Fashionphile before and typically their bags are better than the condition stated. While I was waiting for my Fashionphile delivery I stumbled upon a Kate Spade (yes, y’all a Kate Spade) Natalia Tote at my local Nordstrom Rack. Classic black with gold hardware. I was amazed in how the silhouette was nearly identical to the Chanel GST Tote. The leather is soft and luxurious. The hardware is substantial. Bottom feet. So, for a whopping $199 I went ahead and bought it, but truly expecting to return it after I got my Chanel! I mean a Chanel! A day later my Chanel GST Tote was delivered. I couldn’t wait to open the box and pull this glorious Chanel bag out of the box. I was trembling with the anticipation! OMG….I was about to touch a Chanel handbag!! OMG!! I was totally expecting this bag to make my “lowly“ Kate Spade bag look like a hunk of junk. Boy, was I ever wrong! What a complete let down. Right out of the box there was absolutely no wow factor with the Chanel GST Tote…which one would absolutely expect for $2,500 and based on the YouTube influencers. The caviar leather all these YouTube reviewers and influencers gush and swoon over…lies. There is absolutely nothing special about this leather. Nothing. It didn’t smell like leather and the touch didn’t feel luxurious. And, yes, to any doubters…this was an authentic bag. The lining was fabric (which I knew, but still….) and the hardware had plating wear. The back zipper wall…a plastic zipper. No bottom feet. Really, Fancy Pants Chanel? Literally within 30 minutes of receiving the Chanel GST Tote it was boxed back up and the return label printed and affixed. First thing the next morning, the box was dropped off at UPS. Good riddance. Give me my money back, Fashionphile. This Chanel GST Tote turned out to be the real hunk of junk. Today I am proudly carrying my gorgeous Kate Spade Natalia Tote. Let’s be honest here. Who are we trying to impress buying these ridiculously priced Chanel and other luxury brands? Unless you are a Kardashion, most people assume these bags us regular people are carrying are fakes anyway. And, the quality typically isn’t any better than a contemporary brand. I have a Coach Rogue 25 handbag that the leather and quality far exceeds that of the Chanel GST Tote I just returned. I also have noticed that these YouTube reviewers and influencers sell their bags more often than they change their underwear. Carefully review the comments of any YouTube review and way down below when someone asks if they still have the bag and can talk about wear and tear they usually respond they had sold the bag! So, as I see it…we are not only being duped by these luxury handbag fashion houses but also by these YouTube influencers! We are being provided misinformation (or actually disinformation). We are being convinced these luxury handbags are the best quality as they rave how great the bag is….but later sell it! If it was so great, why did they sell it? And, I don’t want to hear the typical response…to fund another bag. BS. And, with today’s economy you can’t convince me anyone is making a profit selling these luxury handbags. In summary, after going the luxury route…I do enjoy and love the luxury handbags I currently have. But, I won’t buy anymore. I will continue to buy contemporary bags. My lowly Kate Spade Natalia Tote opened my eyes to this. Whether luxury or contemporary, they all do the same thing anyway….carry my stuff around. And, I like keeping the difference in money spent in my bank account…and not being conned by luxury fashion houses and YouTube influencers.
The GST was actually my first Chanel purchase and I still regret not getting a classic flap instead at the time (this was well over a decade ago). I was thrilled the first time I ever bought it, the in-person shop experience, getting to take the bag home, and unboxing it all over again and marveling at the sturdy leather and pristine stitching. Sadly, the excitement wore off QUICK. Because there’s a partition in the middle, this bag barely held anything substantial. It was already weighty enough so I didn’t want to add too much extra weight. Also, it really wasn’t versatile given its size. I held onto it for a few years and finally sold it to a family friend without losing any money thankfully. Good riddance!