Did you stop buying/using contemporary bags once you go luxury?

I love brands from both "worlds. Quality of many high end brands decreased seriously and of contemporary increased. The handle of my Miu Miu fell off as soon as I lifted it empty, and I had to go through the return process, but Mansur Gavriel bucket looks better and better with every stain getting a beautiful patina . I have a good deal of Miu Miu old leather and styles which are so interesting no current Miu Miu style lovers would even recognize. I have a number of YSL oldies, Bal oldies and not so usual designs, and Fendi classics. Never was interested in quilted so Dior and Chanel were out, and never interested in logos. My choice of high end and contemporary designer bags is - no recognition and no logos. And as cheap as possible finds LOL. AND each has to have something I just adore. Leather, something quirky either geometry or a trick in a colour, it has to speak to me. And it has to be well made with really good material and especially tasteful hardware. Mansur Gavriel has beautiful harware, almost none. I am so easily put off by tacky hardware that Miu Miu really has to have it all together with leather and colour that gold in hardware does not scream. Example - I still have one bow from Miu Miu, and it is in amazing brushed chocolate suede, so Miu Miu gold hardware makes it really elegant and beautiful. Old Pilati's and Tom Ford's YSL have great hardware colour anyway, and plus amazing leather - almost always a winning combo. But, i did buy from Free People two fun small evening bags in triangular pyramid shape, one gold and one silver for$25 each, and they are so quirky and cute with my silver Docs. Fendi bags I wear with my Converse . I love monochrome outfit, simple and neutral, with Hermes scarf pop of colour and a gorgeous bag like Bal dark violet work and either Docs or Converse to not take myself too seriously. Any designer "level" will do if it is smart and interesting. I am so sorry I could not, at the time when I saw it, afford an old beaten up Hermes Birkin in barenia which looked like a travel bag from an old adventure movie (Indie would carry it)...that is how I imagine my Hermes bag. I would definitely pair it up with Belstaff men's colonial canvas military bag, and feel like I could voyage to faraway lands.

I am glad I found this thread! No judgments please! I have Burberry, LV, Prada bags in my collection. Recently while shopping for a crossbody bag, I came across Coach Cassie. It seems very practical and functional - but I am hesitant to purchase it because I wonder if it will be considered a step down by society/friends.

What would you all do?

PS : I did see the Pochette Metis but after seeing the quality issues several ladies had, dropping 2K on it that does not sit well with me.

I haven't stopped wearing contemporary brands (my choice being Mansur Gavriel) and if anything, I started looking into it more because the prices on my favorite brand, Chanel, have gotten too ridiculous for me to stomach. Also, I had time to reevaluate my collection and realized that many of my luxury bags have sat in the closet untouched. I sold them and am making room for contemporary bags like Tory Burch Kira or Coach Cassie. It's good to have variety in your collection.

I am glad I found this thread! No judgments please! I have Burberry, LV, Prada bags in my collection. Recently while shopping for a crossbody bag, I came across Coach Cassie. It seems very practical and functional - but I am hesitant to purchase it because I wonder if it will be considered a step down by society/friends.

What would you all do?

PS : I did see the Pochette Metis but after seeing the quality issues several ladies had, dropping 2K on it that does not sit well with me.

If it would be practical and functional for you, then I say get it.

I'd say that in some circumstances a 'step down' is a good thing. I like my contemporary bags for bad weather, just running to the grocery store, (one day, going through the airport) etc. Why risk a premier designer bag, when a contemporary one will do just fine?

I can say I definitely have. Started out in maybe 2006 with a Coach bag at an outlet location that I hotly debated and once I had it, I swore would be ‘it.’ I remember the euphoria as I stood in line and once I had it, I kept admiring its design and texture. Severe colour transfer over the next few years pretty much retired it though. Later ‘splurged’ on a Kate Spade satchel in Vegas a few years later and I again swore it was my bag for life; really mulled over it and returned to the outlet to finally purchase it. Eventually bought an MK large Hamilton tote (everyone had it!) for work but after a few years, the shape was lost and the limited space just annoyed me. Finally made the leap to luxury in 2016 with my Givenchy Antigona and have not touched any of these contemporaries since. :P Fleshing out of the rest of the collection is an LV alma BB and Gucci convertible micro GG dome satchel. I most use the Gucci for easy carefree wear on the weekends and sometimes whip out my Givenchy when the weather is agreeable but my contemporaries have essentially remain shelved... In my mind, I just try to get as much wear as I can from my luxury bags (to drive down the cost per wear! :biggrin:) so cannot imagine picking up a contemporary over a luxury one...

Reactions: mayavas
Of course, that's your prerogative to see it differently from most. But, it's listed as premier on TPF. And, while PS isn't one of my favorite brands, I do think it's approach to / uniqueness of style and the level of quality does set it apart from contemporary brands.

To add my own rogue opinion of a classification, I think what Coach is doing lately with its materials and designs would make it a "contemporary plus" brand. The styles don't work for me personally but, I have to give high 5's for materials and quality given the price point.

I had asked once on TPF how these designations were determined and didn't get an answer. It's probably not worth the time of serious thought but, (offering it for giggles) I think there could be 5 categories. Thinking of a brand's handbag offerings only:

- Super Premier: Hermes, Dior, Chanel, etc.
- Premier: Prada, Jimmy Choo, etc.
- Super Contemporary: Coach, etc.
- Contemporary: Michael Kors, Kate Spade, etc.
- Sub Contemporary: Calvin Klein, etc.
- Novelty: Guess, etc.

We could debate which brands belonged where or if even another category is needed and it would be a lot of fun. But, ultimately we'd struggle to reach any kind of consensus as we all tend to over value elements of our favorite brands while undervaluing elements of brands we don't buy or like. And, the argument of whether a brand like Hermes is "worth" the price or whether a brand like Coach or Dooney is "just as good" has been done to death on TPF. :btdh: LOL!

i also think Coach is super Contemporary or we can call it prime contemporary and it kind of makes me feel weird you can find Coach at a Macy’s store. There is a big corner for that brand.

I feel like it doesn’t fit to have Coach at those store. the price point of a Coach bag is significantly higher Than let’s say Michael Kors. Actually I feel like Rebecca Minkoff while having really nice bags the quality and price point is closer to Michael Kors than Coach.

here are my categories

high Premiere : Chanel, Hermes, Louis Vuitton and maybe we can consider Dior too.
Premiere : YSL, Prada, Gucci, Fendi et.
Contemporary Premiere: Furla, Tory Burch, Pinko, Coach, Longchamp, Michael Kors Collection
contemporary: Michael by Michael Kors, Kate Spade, Purificacion García, Adolfo Dominguez, Roberto Verino And even Uterqüe

I have two expensive Chloe bags, but I don't like wearing them to places like the zoo or the park. Especially when I'm with my friend and her young daughter. I've also developed a strong preference toward slightly smaller (like smaller side of medium) crossbody style bags. Because my Marcie and Lexa are both medium/large size, they're both bigger than I'd prefer for everyday use. Also, the Marcie strap is way too short for crossbody wear - Lexa strap is fortunately the perfect crossbody length when let all the way out.

For these reasons, I've been preferring my smaller crossbody contemporary brand bags (Kate Spade, Rebecca Minkoff and now Hammitt). I'm considering letting go of the Lexa because it just feels too big, bulky and heavy even when I put little inside it, but I'm going back and forthbecauseit was my first designer bag crush and I will have difficultyreplacingit if I regret letting it go. As for Marcie, someone will have to pry that bag from my cold dead hands even if I only wear it during special occasions lol. I'm hoping to find a strap in the same color that I can use instead of the too short Chole strap, but the nude pink color of my Marcie can be a hard color to match.

Reactions: JenJBS
This was a great post!
I relate to this SO much. My luxury bag buying compulsion had a LOT to do with my mental state. Much like you've said...it was not good. I'm a lot more focused on 'will it fit my lifestyle and needs?' today than I am on what brand name is slapped on the bag. I would have LOVED a LV, Givenchy or other high end designer bag for my newest addition, but when push came to shove - the high end designers don't seem to have many decent medium sized crossbody options (like approximately 9in wide and 7in tall or there abouts) AND a $350 bag from Hammit (who I've just discovered) was the bag I kept coming back to and dreaming about......soooo I guess I'm okay with spending less for the bag I really want if that's what I can see myself using and loving long term.

Reactions: jennlt and Shelby33
I relate to this SO much. My luxury bag buying compulsion had a LOT to do with my mental state. Much like you've said...it was not good. I'm a lot more focused on 'will it fit my lifestyle and needs?' today than I am on what brand name is slapped on the bag. I would have LOVED a LV, Givenchy or other high end designer bag for my newest addition, but when push came to shove - the high end designers don't seem to have many decent medium sized crossbody options (like approximately 9in wide and 7in tall or there abouts) AND a $350 bag from Hammit (who I've just discovered) was the bag I kept coming back to and dreaming about......soooo I guess I'm okay with spending less for the bag I really want if that's what I can see myself using and loving long term.
I love Hammit, but don't have one... Yet...

I don’t shop for bags at contemporary stores anymore as I prefer to save & wait for the right purchase from a premier designer. Years ago I would buy so many contemporary bags (Coach, Kate Spade, Tory Burch) yet found I rarely was interested in the bag after a few months. I’ve since downsized my collection to a few premier designer bags, and 2 Longchamps (for work/travel). I’m so much happier with my small curated collection of exactly what I use and love! Although I enjoy shopping & following what’s new and coming out, I no longer need to buy often.

Having luxury bags makes me think twice about buying contemporary brands, which might not last as long. But I still bought some I really wanted for the colour, design or functionality. E.g. I already had some LVs, a Chanel and Goyard when I got a Longchamp Pliage tote. Loved the kiwi green colour with the tan leather and didn't have a comparable sized tote at that time. Even after getting my first Hermès bag (a Kelly) I bought a few pliages more (again the colour, one was preloved, bright turquoise that I have been hunting down as it's my fav colour, see my avatar lol). Also got a Mansur Gavriel after having these bags, plus a Birkin. And for a macbook sleeve I chose a Swiss tarp brand (Freitag), not a luxury brand because I can be sure that sleeve is rainproof and protects the tech. Not only pretty looking.

I think the advantage though with thinking twice is I don't buy a large number of not so expensive bags that lie around unused. So in one way I am spending money "wisely" on things I will actually wear. Even if only because I know they were so expensive :lol:

Originally, when I went full on luxe brands about 7 years ago, I pushed all my other bags aside. However, I learned that a lot of brands were still putting out quality products worth looking at. And now find myself in the contemporary but also indie brand view. Unless I see a luxe bag that really speaks to me, I am not going to just grab it.

Also like other said, sometimes depending on what youre doing, you dont want to have a very high end brand

• Love
Reactions: mocktail and JenJBS
I have 4 luxury bags in my collection (LV, YSL, Gucci) and 4 contemporary designer (Coach, Michael Kors, Claire V.). I find myself in general for weekend use reaching more for my luxury bags. I still use my cute suede camel colored coach bag on weekends especially in the summer. I use a Claire V. crossbody for work as I work with kids and they have literally sticked their feet in my bag (wouldn't want them messing with my nicer bags). I'm not saving/lusting after any contemporary designer bags but I'm still enjoying the ones I have to the fullest!

THe tile of the thread throws me a little. I guess-define luxury.
Who determines what luxury is?
For a person saving and saving for a Coach bag, that is THEIR luxury, and with many new Coach styles that cost 800+ How is that not luxury?
With all the seductive advertising that’s out there, it feels as though we are sent the message that the larger the price tag the more luxurious it is. I think that we need to each decide what our own definition of luxury is. To me, all my bags fall under the luxury umbrella because I love them and saved for them and in essence don’t really need all of them so they’re a luxury to me!

i loved so Much your post, for many people buyin a Coach or Michael Kors Is a luxury And it holds the same value as a Designer bag. not everyone can buy a Chanel or Gucci so getting an MK is a big deal.

i honestly don’t buy Designer bags, I think it’s spending too much on so you can get as pretty in a lower price.
yes designe bags have better quality and involve more work but sometimes you just want the style nit that exact bag.
the only bag I think I might get in the designer world is the Alma BB from Louis Vuitton because no contemporary brand has something similar.

you can get something similar to the Chanel flap in contemporary world, You can get something like the Kelly bag in the contemporary world, something like the speedy from LV or the Lulu from Saint Laurent. Or similar to the Never full.

howver no one has a made a good bag inspired in the Alma. That’s the only designer bag I’d be tempted to buy.
the Chanel it’s gorgeous but i Got my Purificación García for a fraction of the pr which gives me the me the style of the Chanel and makes me so happy.

anyway for anyone looking for a Kelly mini dupe look for your nearest Mango store they have a bag rea similar.