Did Mulberry Change the Lock and Keys on the Bayswater Bags ??

travelbliss

★ LV Enthusiast ♥ Admire ⍰ or Acquire ☑
O.G.
Sep 25, 2006
:confused1:
Sorry if this is a redundant question, but I live nowhere near Mulberry boutiques nor outlets...My new Oak Bays has a clochette and inside of it is a "dummy" lock, that just has the letters "Mulberry" and the tree insignia on the other side. NO keys. Just this "lock" that doesn't function as a lock, does not open, but purely a decorative piece.

Perhaps I have been living under the LV rock for so long, I had not noticed this, because the last Bays I bought was the Navy Leopard patent in 2008.

Kindly clue me in....I'm a tad disappointed that my new bays has no working lock and keys in the clochette !!
:shucks:

thanks !!

I think u should definitely have a working padlock and keys...! My splodgy bought this year has a workable padlock & keys. Where did u get it from, maybe it's a display lock if there is such a thing?

Trying pinging .com an email to see if they'll replace it x

Hi Tiggenic, thanks for the reply...i was beginning to worry!

It is brand new from Net a Porter.

What is pinging.com ??

I love the bag, not questioning the authenticity, just really like the traditional lock and key clochette (not like i'd ever use it, just the principle !!)

I'll try to post a photo...

Sorry, that's me being lazy :lol: pinging (email) .com (mulberry.com)

I've only seen the brass padlocks so I'd email net-a-porter then instead of mulberry.com and see what they say :biggrin:

Here is the lock inside the clochette.

I am just wondering if this is something new they are doing or
if this is how they have been for some time ??
That's the disadvantage for us gals who can only get our Mulberry's by mail.
No store to go in and compare ... :sad:

Attachments

• bayslock1 001.JPG
    bayslock1 001.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 7,640
  • bayslock1 002.JPG
    bayslock1 002.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 7,571
  • bayslock1 003.JPG
    bayslock1 003.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 7,729
Sorry, that's me being lazy :lol: pinging (email) .com (mulberry.com)

I've only seen the brass padlocks so I'd email net-a-porter then instead of mulberry.com and see what they say :biggrin:

lol..
sorry, I'm thick !!
I have emailed them.
I hope there's a good explanation...!!

That's how the lock on my bays for apple looked - I bought it in the mulberry store in Manchester. The 'normal bays' still had the traditional padlock and key so the SA kindly swapped it for me. She wasn't aware of why.

That's how the lock on my bays for apple looked - I bought it in the mulberry store in Manchester. The 'normal bays' still had the traditional padlock and key so the SA kindly swapped it for me. She wasn't aware of why.

Oh, thanks for letting me know that, ML. I think this is something new they are putting on their bags. I have sent inquiries to both NAP and Mulberry.

:shrugs:Here u go, for comparison. I haven't seen one like yours

Thanks for the pic, Tig. My locks are just like yours on my other 2 bays. I just never heard that they were making a change.

The Black Edie has a similar 'dummy' lock. There is no key but the latch will open and shut like before (you just sort of push down the latchy-bit and it springs open and shut).

So you can use it as a padlock, but don't need a key IYKWIM.

Sorry it is hard to describe....

I've just bought myself a new Oak Bayswater to compensate for my Edie disappointment ( should have just put the money back in my bank account :blush: but I've always wanted a Bays, such a classic beauty :love:) but i digress, my padlock and keys are the original style.The SA at HOF said she'd only just got the new Bays stock in, so if Mulberry have changed this feature, I'd imagine it must be a fairly recent thing.

I have nothing to add, but i'll be really interested to hear what Mulberry have to say.

I had a shock recently too when I checked the 'made in' tag inside an outlet bag. The tag was made from leather and not matrial. I nearly had a heart attack and thought i'd bought a fake. The SA's hadn't even noticed and couldn't say why. I've realised now that 'outlet special' bags have leather tags now (why, I don't know!)