Diamond/Setting Check!

skyqueen

O.G.
Aug 5, 2007
I own a lovely pair of diamond studs that I have checked once a year. I've only worn my studs once since the last check. They live in a safety deposit box at the bank. For some reason I got the urge to go to the bank and check the setting.
*AME...I even brought my loupe*
Everything looked good and tight through the loupe but I heard a slight rattle. They are expensive studs so I didn't want to take a chance. Off to my jeweler. Even though the prongs were tight there was a slight rattle...slightly loose up/down not sideways (if this makes sense). I don't think I would have lost the diamond but who knows?
For reference they are mounted in a 18KT martini, 4 prong setting.

The point of my story is to remind members to have your earrings, bracelets, necklaces and rings checked at least annually, even if not worn a lot...you never know!
Usually a free service from your jeweler.

I own a lovely pair of diamond studs that I have checked once a year. I've only worn my studs once since the last check. They live in a safety deposit box at the bank. For some reason I got the urge to go to the bank and check the setting.
Everything looked good and tight through the loupe but I heard a slight rattle. They are expensive studs so I didn't want to take a chance. Off to my jeweler. Even though the prongs were tight there was a slight rattle...slightly loose up/down not sideways (if this makes sense). I don't think I would have lost the diamond but who knows?

The point of my story is to remind members to have your earrings, bracelets, necklaces and rings checked at least annually, even if not worn a lot...you never know!
Thanks Skyqueen. This is very good advice. I'm not very good at following it but I know I'd be devastated to lose any of my stones. I'll take a few of the pieces I wear regularly to get checked out soon.

Excellent advice, Skyqueen! I have my fine jewelry checked regularly as well, just to be safe, especially pieces I wear often.