Diamond Pendant setting

May 24, 2015
Hi,

I thought I'd ask the experts here about my pendant. I just redesigned a diamond I had into a pendant.

It looked nice but upon closer inspection I see that the back of the pendant is closed solid (it's in a basket setting with openings on the side for light to shine through but closed solid on the back (I'll try to post pic if I can I've never done it before)

When I asked the jeweler said it was to create stability on the diamond .61 so it wouldn't flip around. The diamond is not big. I've seen other pendants and I've never seen the basket closed.

Anyhow I'm not convinced about it so I thought I'd ask for expert advise here. Does having the back of the basket closed limit the light shining through the diamond?

The facets are designed to reflect light from the front. If light travelled right through the diamond it would look more like glass. I wouldn't worry about the diamond being closed in on the back any more than you would worry about your skin blocking light at the back when the diamond is worn.
The closed back might help keep grease off it as well. And I can see why the added weight of the closed back may make the pendant more stable.

If a diamond is well cut, the light comes in the top and out the top. However, there is a lot that goes on with the pavilion facets if there is light coming in from all direction. They are fiery if light hits them, too.

Open settings are requested by people for several reasons: some like the way light can come in from all directions, some like that you get the full view of the light hitting those other facets, and you can clean the stone more easily. The primary, though, is the latter. I get the feeling you just don't like this setting because it's not what you expected it to look like. Have it made how you wanted it.

Thanks ame! Yes it's the back of it that I'm not happy with and you bring in some good points about light and how easy it will be to clean!

Here are the details of stone:
61.7% depth, 58% table, VS2 clarity, D color, no fluorescence, very good symmetry and very good finish.

I want to make sure this small baby has the ability to shine at its most.

I'll bring the cleaning and sparkle concerns to her.

Thanks again!!