Destroyed 2008 Sapphire City

Rosebud5023

Aug 7, 2007
I contacted Balenciaga New York last summer about repairing my 2008 Sapphire city and the woman was not very nice or helpful and never got back to me after we spoke on the phone. (I ordered my bag over the phone directly from them) I carried by bag for a little less than 2 years and it was looking pretty crappy for more than half of that time. I actually stopped carrying it after I sent the pictures to Balenciaga to get an estimate so it has been in the dustbag since August.

The color is completely faded, the leather is cracked and the front hardware is dangling off of it. I am extremely frustrated and haven't been able to get this taken care of because I'm in law school and super busy...procrastinating studying as we speak. I really can't afford $600 to get it fixed at LMB. Do you ladies have any suggestions. It breaks my heart with how terrible this looks :sad:

I also attached a picture I found that was sent to me when it was brand new before I bought it!

Attachments

• DSC06165.JPG
    DSC06165.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 1,486
  • DSC06166.JPG
    DSC06166.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,439
  • DSC06176.JPG
    DSC06176.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,604
  • DSC06177.JPG
    DSC06177.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 1,446
  • SapphireCity.JPG
    SapphireCity.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,501
Umm.. wow.. I've never seen a Balenciaga in that condition before. :amazed: I'd see if a local cobbler that deals with leather could help fix your rivet. If anything, see if Bal can at least fix the rivet that is hanging or LMB.

As far as the color, purchase some Edgekote to repair the sealant leather edges and DIY Tarrago Dye... http://www.tarrago.us/tarrago-dyes

I am so sorry this happened. I will only trust LMB to fix my Bal. But if that is not an option, I guess your next choice is your local cobbler who you trust. About fading, among all Bal purples, I noticed Sapphire faded the worst. To restore its color, I believe redying is the only option. Maybe this could be a DIY project?

What about trying to contact Balenciaga NY again? Maybe write them a letter and include the before & after photos? Worth a try anyways.

oogiewoogie & HandbagAngel have good advice above, if you want to try dyeing it yourself or try a local cobbler?? LMB does do great work though if you can afford it.

ouch. sapphire definitely is one of those colors that don't age well...

similar to my Sky Blue, it looks basically turquoise/teal/aquamarine these days...

Hi Rosebud5023,
Sorry to hear what happened to you. Forget about contacting Bal, I was quoted $500 to change the front panel for a coin size disoloration on the front of my 11 Ardoise City ( 5 month old bag). They refused to redye the small area and suggested changing the whole front panel. And, $500 was supposed to be a special price!

OMG! I'm so sorry about your bag. I'm starting to get worried about my 10 cyclade work. I haven't done anything for it but I'm starting to think I should take preventive care. Good luck with your bag!

Thank you guys for the advice...I know its awful :sad: Has anyone redyed and restored a bag that could give me more specific directions so I don't screw it up?

Rosebud, sorry to see what has happened to your bag!

As you got it from BalNY, they should at least fix that for you. If not, then I think you will have to see a cobbler to take care of the broken stud. If do-it-yourself redyeing is an option, do a search for several dye jobs that have been done on bags. There has been several, one who dyed from white to black, and one who bought a beater Bal and dyed it another color; she did a great job!

Over in the Louboutin subforum, lots of gals have have great experience with Tarrago dye. It can be gotten on eBay for less than 10 bucks and comes with all that you need; you will probably need 2-3 kits for bag, but you can probably get shared shipping if you're buying it all at once.

oh no! thats the same bag?!!?
did you carry it all the time, when you were using it? i have a (supposedly) black bbag that is fading to a slight greenish shade on the corners.. and ive only used it a good handful of times. so i empathize! although ive seen LMB do a superb job on restoring bags.. $600 is alot for anyone! i hope you are able to find a more affordable way to remedy your sapphire :smile:

I carried it every day for almost 2 years, but it started to look like that only after a few months. That picture was taken last August. and I have kept it in the dust bag since then since its too scary to carry, and I still don't know what I'm going to do with it. I know it is very hard to believe it is the same bag :sad:

Wow, it's so sad to see how bad it has faded.... I'm sorry about it, Rosebud5023. You bought it from a Bal boutique, they will repair your bag. They keep their customers' purchase histories. They can find your record easily. They certainly can do the hardware part. I don't know if they can do something about fading. But who knows.

Bal NY's email address is: [email protected]. I think their repair person is Leo. I'm not 100% positive his name though. Just put "to repair department" in the subject line. That will work. I really hope they will offer something to fix the color!!

I guess I'm scared to email them because the woman was so rude last time I called and basically told me it was my own fault for carrying the bag regularly when no bag that costs that much should ever look like that just from using it! Thanks for the advice..maybe I'll attempt to contact them again :smile:

That's very rude and unprofessional!! :bagslap: It' very understandable that you hesitate to contact them after you were treated badly. 2008 Sapphire is notorious for fading issue. They know it. I remember I have read a member had fading issue in a very short time with Sapphire. She contacted Bal headquaters to demand the refund after she was treated badly at a store. I slap them for you again here.:bagslap:

I only contacted Leo, the repair person, once. He sounded very nice. He replied my emails quickly. I hope he will offer you some solutions.

I find a little disgusting that they would be rude to anyone who's asking for repairs.

For a bag thats cost that much, you should be able to carry it everyday and no part of the hardware should fall off like that.

I can understand you being apprehensive in contacting them again. But if I was you, I would drop her name in an email and let them know how she spoke to you and how she made you feel. There's nothing I hate more than bad customer service. Especially a high end store like Bal, they should realise that people drop thousands of their hard earned cash for their goods and there should be a guarantee that you wont get treated like a rabid monkey when you're asking for help.

Sorry :greengrin: but I think you should fight this to the end.