Travel Destin Florida!

meluvs2shop

In Love
O.G.
Jul 15, 2007
Hi All! :wave:
We are going to “Emerald Coast” for Spring Break. Has anyone been? I’m sure we have PFers that live there or close by. We are traveling with adults and kids. We want to be able to walk to beach, restaurants and activities.

We are a fun group and like to chill just as much as fun and eat well!

I’ve been to Florida many many times and all over the state. However, this will be my first time in that part of Florida. When I look at houses to rent in Destin other beaches come up such as Santa Rosa. Since we never been not sure how close they are to each other. And should we pick one beach over another?

Do we need a car?

Any experts familiar with this area?

If it was any other part of Florida I would know where to go and where to stay but I’m at a loss with this part. Any tips greatly appreciated! :blush:

Hi All! :wave:
We are going to “Emerald Coast” for Spring Break. Has anyone been? I’m sure we have PFers that live there or close by. We are traveling with adults and kids. We want to be able to walk to beach, restaurants and activities.

We are a fun group and like to chill just as much as fun and eat well!

I’ve been to Florida many many times and all over the state. However, this will be my first time in that part of Florida. When I look at houses to rent in Destin other beaches come up such as Santa Rosa. Since we never been not sure how close they are to each other. And should we pick one beach over another?

Do we need a car?

Any experts familiar with this area?

If it was any other part of Florida I would know where to go and where to stay but I’m at a loss with this part. Any tips greatly appreciated! :blush:
Oh you will have a wonderful time! I live across the border in Alabama but have been to Destin many times as it’s not too far of a drive. It all depends if you want hustle bustle or more quiet and quaint. 30A is where most I know tend to go which includes Rosemary beach, the popular Seaside, and yes, Santa Rosa like you mentioned! The main strip of Destin is more touristy and busy, sometimes more packed than Panama City even…. I say stick with the 30A and you could always take a drive to nearby areas.

• Love
Reactions: meluvs2shop
Oh you will have a wonderful time! I live across the border in Alabama but have been to Destin many times as it’s not too far of a drive. It all depends if you want hustle bustle or more quiet and quaint. 30A is where most I know tend to go which includes Rosemary beach, the popular Seaside, and yes, Santa Rosa like you mentioned! The main strip of Destin is more touristy and busy, sometimes more packed than Panama City even…. I say stick with the 30A and you could always take a drive to nearby areas.
That’s so great! Thanks for the tips. Do we need a car or can we Uber? The kids are older so no car seats needed.
I’ve always wanted to check out Alys beach for the architecture. It’s close too, right?

Oh and what about Miramar? Sorry I just never been to to this side of Florida so I’m at a loss. Last year we spent part of our Spring Break in Fort Lauderdale and while it was great for walking to restaurants and the beach etc the traffic was nightmare. I’d like something more quaint but with charm and lots to do. Does that make sense?

Hope your trip went well, @meluvs2shop! If you have any recommendations of things to do or things to avoid, I'm interested to hear more.

I'll be going to Destin this winter with some family. One thing we are planning to do is take a road trip to Dothan, AL to eat at KBC - Chef Kelsey Barnard Clark's restaurant. She won a recentish (2019?) season of Top Chef and I was just a big fan of hers that season and can't wait to try it!

It'll be a working vacation for me as I am trying to bank true vacation time for my wedding and honeymoon next year so our plans are mainly hanging out in an around our VRBO rental but always open to points of interest nearby.

Hi @poizenisxkandee!
Destin is still on my bucket list! Sadly, traveling with so many ppl- we never booked a direct flight in time and the flights left were all with layovers which would lead to annoying travel day. I’m only 2 hours by plane to Florida. So with a quick plane ride like that I didn’t want it to turn into a 10-12 hour travel day. That and some of us in the group also wanted to go to Marco Island. My BFF has a great house in Fort Lauderdale so we used that as our base and went to Marco for a couple of days and rented a boat. It was a great vacation. I’m hoping to hit Destin soon and travel to Alys Beach, Rosemary -just about anything along 30A.
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! Enjoy the Emerald Coast! I can’t wait to check it out some day.