Designers you "discovered" and are now HUGE

Michael Kors was called the poor man's Calvin Klein in the 70s, just copying everything he saw, and look at him now.
The 70's? he goes way back!!
Still don't like his stuff, except for a few fake silk:hrmm: MMK items here and there.
I was at Saks last spring, wondering for a good few minutes,why his polka dot silk skirt cost $900...

Alexander Mcqueen.

I first bought a skirt in 1997 and then each season a little something (I was a on a minuscule budget then too). Then I followed him to Givenchy bought a dress or dressy piece only once a year, pieces were really hard to track down in the right size. When Gucci Group bought the label in 2002, the bigger budget allowed him to cut and the finish matched the designs, spent all my money on his clothes 'till around mid-00s, when I scaled back just because I had a pretty good AMcQ wardrobe by then. As we all know the he is sadly no longer with us (alas) but his label has dressed (British) royalty and there is an Alexander McQueen in nearly every capital city. I still get the occasional piece but oh boy, the 'real' stuff, comparable catwalk pieces to what I bought 10 years ago are stratospheric price wise and only available to order.

Alexander Mcqueen.

I first bought a skirt in 1997 and then each season a little something (I was a on a minuscule budget then too). Then I followed him to Givenchy bought a dress or dressy piece only once a year, pieces were really hard to track down in the right size. When Gucci Group bought the label in 2002, the bigger budget allowed him to cut and the finish matched the designs, spent all my money on his clothes 'till around mid-00s, when I scaled back just because I had a pretty good AMcQ wardrobe by then. As we all know the he is sadly no longer with us (alas) but his label has dressed (British) royalty and there is an Alexander McQueen in nearly every capital city. I still get the occasional piece but oh boy, the 'real' stuff, comparable catwalk pieces to what I bought 10 years ago are stratospheric price wise and only available to order.

That's so cool- to have been a longtime devotee of McQueen is pretty awesome...I agree about the prices though- wow. Every season I have my eye on something and even on sale it's always a bit too steep.

I remember buying an Isabel Marant black knitted cardigan with a shawl collar, so warm! It must have been in 1996 or 1997 at the latest.

I wish I knew about IM back then. I know some ladies who did, and they told me it was "affordable" back then! Compared to other brands, she's still not as ubiquitous, which is nice.

I have a couple of my own to add:
1) Christian Louboutin--I wasn't among the first customers, but I discovered him in the late 1990s. The highest cost for a pair was about $700, and they were so beautifully made with unique designs and materials. Now, they really aren't made like they used to be. I never would've thought that a simple pair of pumps would cost $800, but I guess I was wrong.
2) Seven jeans--I bought my first pair in the late 1990s, too. Back then, only a small handful of boutiques in major cities carried them. I remember seeing a pair in a magazine and driving an hour just to see them in person. I was giddy to take them home and show them off. A couple of years later, every department store and boutique had them, for about $30 more/pair than the price I paid. And the quality went down, too. I still have my first pair, which I try to not wash or wear as often so I can have it longer.
3) A&F--Again, not a designer, and I wasn't the first customer. I was a college student right before they came into every mall. Before they were, the quality was actually pretty good and worth the price tags, IMO. I drove for an hour to get to the one store in my area, and I was proud to come back with a sweater from there.