Designer Inspired BUT NOT COUNTERFEIT!

Interesting.. I have wondered the same. I can see smaller brands making inspired pieces but when its 95% identical minus the label I think its treading on thin ice. Skulls, the speedy shape, ugg look a like etc are pushing it a bit far. Just look at Blue Nile they have many pieces identical to Tiffany's, it offends me. lol

Bearpaw and Emu make well-made boots that are similar in shape/size to Ugg, but are a fraction of the price. They still use nice materials and their boots get the job done (at a fraction of the price). If your goal is to keep your feet warm and you don't care about appearance, it makes more sense to purchase the less-expensive item.

I think that it's about liking the way an item looks as opposed to who made it or trying to pass it off as something else. I bought a pair of Bebe heels that I looooove (I actually have two pairs of them in the same color). While wearing them shopping at Off 5th, the salesgirl thought they were LAMB because they were identical to the order they'd just had come in- she was right!! It didn't mean I stopped wearing them once I found out they were a look-alike; I bought them because I liked them.

IMO, it's not okay to buy something and pass it off as something else, whether it be a fake or a look-alike.

I just read the book, "The Truth About Dishonesty" by Dan Ariely and he covers fakes in one of the chapters. It's a really interesting and well written book (all of his are) and I highly recommend it, but in a nutshell, his research found that, yes, people wearing fakes were more likely to lie/cheat. They used goods from Chloe (all authentic) and gave them to different groups--some they told were real, others they said were fake and then the control group didn't know either way. They tested all sorts of things in regards to behavior, cheating on tests etc and the results showed that the people who "knew" they were wearing fake goods cheated by a much higher margin. I'll stop before I go too far, but it was very interesting. Essentially we all lie/cheat, they were just trying to find the impact a wearing a fake item would have on a person.

I knew I had read something about this study. Thank you so much for noting the book and author. I think I will look into it, seems like a worthwhile read. Thanks again.

Wow Couture seems heavily inspired by Leger..
but wasn't he heavily inspired by Alaia?:yes:
The feud between those two has been going on
for almost 20yrs over who designed the bandage dress
first (Alaia IMO).

Idk if anyone mentioned this yet but I think its creepy how much the "basic" MichaelKors bags resemble the Louis Vuitton classics. Like the monogram colors p, speedy shape, neverfullshape,and so on. I dont hate on MK though, theyhave cute bags too :smile:

well i am going to be honest--everyone has to decide what is important to them. for example i really wanted a hermes CDC bracelet....until i learned it wasn't real gold...it's costume jewelry. i do not want to spend that much on costume jewelry. why? bc i do not think it is a wise way to spend MY money. others can spend it but i will not. i am satisfied with a bcbg/juicy couture version of a cuff with pyramid studs.
This. I don't understand why a designer doesn't just make it gold or even sterling sliver if they want to charge $$$ for it.

What do you ladies think of this inspired by bag from Shoe Dazzle? The description says inspired by Chanel, however it looks a lot more like the Rebecca Minkoff Circle Quilted Studded Affair to me...

I'm a fan of both Chanel and Rebecca Minkoff and own pieces from both designers....I'm not sure what to make of this though...it's only $42.95 so of course not real leather...

Thoughts? To me other than the chain and quilts it looks nothing like a Chanel design...

http://www.shoedazzle.com/products/STARKE-1100

http://www.amazon.com/Rebecca-Minkoff-Quilted-affair-H329I01C/dp/B007A3K4GK

Idk if anyone mentioned this yet but I think its creepy how much the "basic" MichaelKors bags resemble the Louis Vuitton classics. Like the monogram colors p, speedy shape, neverfullshape,and so on. I dont hate on MK though, theyhave cute bags too :smile:

I think many of the "classic" LV bags are very obvious shapes that people could have easily independently come up with. No one owns a patent on the tote bag shape, the duffle shape or the bowling bag shape. These are standards.

MK is definitely copying the color palette though. As is Calcin Klein and several other brands. But I don't think mixing brown and natural is patented either.

As for handbags? I don't think there are many new ideas left out there. Materials, compartments, organization. And possibly innovations on how bags are closed. There are a very small number of new shapes out there (Like Celine and the wings). But everything else is pretty derivative based on classic shapes: totes, hobos, satchels, bowling bags, doctor bags, and barrel bags.