designer bags the new symbol of success..??

Collecting fine handbags is just like collecting fine art, fine wine, etc. It's about appreciating the quality of the piece. The plus with handbags is you also get to use it. It has nothing to do with status or anything else. I buy what I like. It doesn't matter if it's an "IT" bag or not.

Jill said:
Guys...Is it me or Does it seem strange that someone posting for the very first time is asking us these questions?????!!!!
VLAD?

She said that it was for a research thing. Perhaps she just wants some input from a little community thats alll about purses? :smile:

ok, so i completely agree with theartofacquisition. regardless of what people say about buying expensive designer bags solely because they appreciate the craftmanship or whatever, i do believe that every girl enjoys the attention that comes with it as well. why else would women buy "it" bags instead of just any regular designer bag?

and i know that for sure where i live, women constantly judge each other based on style AND money. and i would be flat out lying if i said i didn't do the same, and i'm only a teenager. if someone has a nice expensive and stylish bag, it sticks out. she will be treated better wherever she goes, and she will want to make sure others see it.

it's just like buying diamonds or nice shoes; part of the reason you buy it is because you appreciate how nice it is, and the other part has to do with everyone else noticing that you have it and can afford it.

Personally, I don't equate owning a designer bag as the same thing as a guy who gets a corvette or ferrari to impress the chicks... But I realized that there is a status symbol effect of having a designer bag.

However, I buy them because I like them and there's a correlation between cost and quality. I wouldn't get a designer bag just to have one, nor would I look down on someone because they had a bag from Target.

wickedassin said:
Personally, I don't equate owning a designer bag as the same thing as a guy who gets a corvette or ferrari to impress the chicks... But I realized that there is a status symbol effect of having a designer bag.

However, I buy them because I like them and there's a correlation between cost and quality. I wouldn't get a designer bag just to have one, nor would I look down on someone because they had a bag from Target.

Everything she said.

In addition:

I definitely don't equate a handbag with success. Personal satisfaction which can't be quantified by a handbag or a bank statement is my idea of success, and there's no one thing that can symbolize it, not a Ferrari or a Birkin.

Eskimo said:
ok, so i completely agree with theartofacquisition. regardless of what people say about buying expensive designer bags solely because they appreciate the craftmanship or whatever, i do believe that every girl enjoys the attention that comes with it as well. why else would women buy "it" bags instead of just any regular designer bag?

and i know that for sure where i live, women constantly judge each other based on style AND money. and i would be flat out lying if i said i didn't do the same, and i'm only a teenager. if someone has a nice expensive and stylish bag, it sticks out. she will be treated better wherever she goes, and she will want to make sure others see it.

it's just like buying diamonds or nice shoes; part of the reason you buy it is because you appreciate how nice it is, and the other part has to do with everyone else noticing that you have it and can afford it.
I am 43 years old and I respectfully disagree with you. For example ... The Fendi Spy bag is supposedly an "IT" bag and costs $2075. I could not find a honey one anywhere near me. I wound up ordering it online from Saks. Well, after seeing in person I've decided it is too large for me. I am returning it tomorrow. Now, if all I cared about was impressing people I'd just keep it and use it no matter what. I buy what I like. It really is that simple. I am fortunate to be able to buy a high-end bag if I like it. The satisfaction I get is purely from my enjoyment, not trying to impress others with what I have. That's just my two cents.;)

kat- i'm not saying that people will buy something they don't like just because it's an "it" bag. i had a similar experience to yours where i was with my mother at madison and she bought a fendi spy bag and i opted not to get one because i'm not in love with the bag. however, i am saying that if there is an it bag that you like out there, people tend to justify to themselves spending the money (even people who do not necessarily have the money to spend) because it's and it bag, and they want to be able to show it off.

i am basing my conclusion on the way people in la/beverly hills act, and i cannot for sure say it's the same case everywhere. but in a city where people are judged mainly on looks, style, and money, people are willing to shell out a ton of cash just to prove they have it. i on the other hand buy my expensive handbags (err...well, my mother buys them, but i choose them) based on what i like, but i will admit that i like to show them off as well.

I think everyone is different. I always feel humble with I carry a more $$ bag when I see people carrying a not as $$ bag. I feel lucky that I am able to get what I want and love.

I think it's a complicated issue.

Yes, some women buy the fancy bag as a pure status symbol in the same way they wear ridiculous shoes because they want to be fashionable. Dumb, but they do it. It's the same with a fancy home, watch, car, jewelry, vacation plans, wardrobe, shoes...etc. isn't it?

Personally, unless I win the lottery, I'm not going to focus extreme amounts of my income on purses. I adore them, I've sold them (Chanel, BV, Ferragamo, LV...etc.), but it certainly doesn't make me any better than the next person because I decided to aim some discretionary income at an LV Babylone tote. I bought it for ME and ONLY me. LV will last, I can carry it for years, and I'll probably have to leave it to someone in my will. If I cared about status, I doubt I'd be carrying it while I'm wearing my yoga pants from Target, and the fleece jacket from Wal Mart. LOL

Having said that, the marketing is hot and heavy for purses, and now that companies know to put their bags directly into the hands of socialites and celebrities to hopefully create the next "it" bag, well, the demand is going to be high. With some people, it will be to copy the celeb (for example: Kitson is backordered for the $$$$ turquoise horn necklace Nicole Richie has been seen wearing quite often). With others, it's just cool to have something you adore. IOW, it speaks to you. It does make me wonder though if anyone would know or care about Kooba (among others) if they hadn't marketed themselves so well--and I do like the bags depite their cost and being manufactured in China.

There was an article awhile back in one of the fashion mags about how luxury goods are going to increase in price because you have more and more and more people around the world with money who want to spend it on something they can now afford.

Now if you want to get into whether luxury items are worth the price, or if it's just about the marketing and fancy stores....that's another post.

I truly think women who collect designer handbags do it because the love bag/style/color or the piece and/or the house that designs it. I think people who own the real thing don't do it to be uppity or feel they're better than anyone. I feel MOST do it because they truly love the bags. That's why I buy real ones. I do think, though, ironically that most who own FAKES try to hold over people's heads as they feel everyone thinks it's real. Most of the people who own fakes imo act like they're better than people when they can't even afford the real deal. That is just my opinion based on people I know personally.

what kind of project is this "research" for? it's fine to be curious, but it would also be fair to contribute to the community before taking advantage of its members...

well based on her "name" stussybaby_88 i gather she is a stussy fan, much like i was when i was 13. i think she is born in 1988 which makes her 18. gawd, i feel old. when i think of people born in 1988, il think they are 13 yrs old now. hahaha. and she signed off with "toodlez xox:love:" i doubt she works for anything on the high end magazine research, more like high school newspaper type of thing. i wouldn't be too worried guys.

fayden said:
well based on her "name" stussybaby_88 i gather she is a stussy fan, much like i was when i was 13. i think she is born in 1988 which makes her 18. gawd, i feel old. when i think of people born in 1988, il think they are 13 yrs old now. hahaha. and she signed off with "toodlez xox:love:" i doubt she works for anything on the high end magazine research, more like high school newspaper type of thing. i wouldn't be too worried guys.
I have to say i agree, she sounds like me in 8th grade when i did a projext on the psychological effects of barbies on teen girls.. haha i was a loser... she probrably is just tired of the "designer" handbag trend at her highschool (dooney.. not "designer" in my book, that and fake louis and coaches) and she can't even afford her fake.... so shes writing about girls who can... how lame!! Not a way to change the world in my book... get on a new forum and stop being *****y!!

Eskimo said:
kat- i'm not saying that people will buy something they don't like just because it's an "it" bag. i had a similar experience to yours where i was with my mother at madison and she bought a fendi spy bag and i opted not to get one because i'm not in love with the bag. however, i am saying that if there is an it bag that you like out there, people tend to justify to themselves spending the money (even people who do not necessarily have the money to spend) because it's and it bag, and they want to be able to show it off.

i am basing my conclusion on the way people in la/beverly hills act, and i cannot for sure say it's the same case everywhere. but in a city where people are judged mainly on looks, style, and money, people are willing to shell out a ton of cash just to prove they have it. i on the other hand buy my expensive handbags (err...well, my mother buys them, but i choose them) based on what i like, but i will admit that i like to show them off as well.
It must be hard to live in an area like that. Beverly Hills, I guess, can be quite competitive. I live in NYC. Here nobody really cares or notices all that much. This is a city of "to each his own" and 'anything goes.":P

Kat said:
It must be hard to live in an area like that. Beverly Hills, I guess, can be quite competitive. I live in NYC. Here nobody really cares or notices all that much. This is a city of "to each his own" and 'anything goes.":P

BH may be like that (I've never seen as many Hermés bags being carried as when I was in Barney's a couple of weeks ago), but IMO the vast majority of folks who live in LA are neither rich nor celebs, and don't go ga-ga over status bags or clothes or cars or whatever. LA is very much a "do your own thing" kind of town, fashionwise, IMO. Walk around Santa Monica or Venice or on Melrose, and what you see people wearing and carrying really runs the gamut from shlump to thrift store chic to designer and everything in between.