Demels at Plaza Hotel in NYC - not the Vienna one

susanvon

susanvon
O.G.
Aug 27, 2007
I am planning on taking the day off to go up to NYC for the Hermes sale at the Met Pavillion and afterward will need a pick me up and want to go to Demels at the Plaza Hotel shops,
I called and spoke to a very nice lady, but she was not Viennese, and said that Do & Co owns this Demels, it is not a franchise one, and that the items in NYC are the same as in Wienm, candided violets, etc. but the ingredients are from the US and the products are made here in the US not shipped over via Austrain from Wien.
So I dont know if I want to bother since I am going to the real Wien in May/June and would prefer to buy the autenetic Demels stuff there.
Any one on the forun have any experience with this Demels in the Plaza Hotel Shops?
Thanks for any informaiton.
Susan von

I've been to this branch as well as Demels in Vienna...but I don't have enough experience with the products to be able to make a comparison of quality. The NYC branch is small, just a counter and glass cases with pastries etc., several tables and shelves on the sides with boxed goods etc. It's pleasant and the pastries/coffee which I had were fine but I'm not sure it's worth the trek from Chelsea unless you will otherwise be in the area. Actually if you are coming uptown, I prefer Cafe Sabarsky myself both for ambience and food. Enjoy your visit and have fun at the sale! :smile:

thanks for your response. Actually, I will be on my way to the Neue Galerie for a private tour. I am the Managing Director of the Friends of the Klimt Atelier here in the US, a 501 3c charity. I do all the work pro bono for the Klimt atelier located on Feldmulergasse out in Hietzing in Wien.
If you would care to meet me @ 4 pm to go on the tour with the curator, we could stop at the Cafe Sabarasky afterward.
Serge Sabarsky was the Viennse dealer for Egon Schiele, who in turn, was mentored by Gustav Klimt.
Think I will just skip the NYC Demels and want until I am in Wien in May.June.
Let me know if you want to go on the tour.
Auf wiedershen
susan von

Thanks for the reply. Will stop in anyway just to see what it is like and how it compares to the original.
Would like to get some of the violet covered candides the same as they have in Wien.
It will be fun to have a look.
Hope you get to go back to the Original Demels, nothing be Wien in the Spring! Just the best place on earth!
Auf wiedershen
susan von

Oh susanvon, I am so sorry that I never responded to your last post!!! I am on the forum only sporadically and never rechecked this thread, so never saw it. Your invitation is so gracious and soooo tempting, but unfortunately I won't be able to get away from work. Thank you so very much! :hugs:

How fascinating to hear about your background; the private tour will be wonderful!!! I have not been to the Neue in close to a year, but still recall the sublime jewelry exhibit that I saw there last year, plus my lovely meal at the Cafe! The coffee they serve was the best I have had here in the City (Julius Meinl); when I was in Chicago later in the year I made the trek out to the only Julius Meinl coffee shop here in the U.S. just because I loved the coffee so! I would love to return to Wein one day....(a small side note, but I had dinner this weekend at Cafe Katja in the Lower East Side which reminded me of the heurigen I visited while there!)

You will enjoy Demel here, it is small but still an oasis of charm and graciousness. Hope you find some wonderful treasures at the sale also!!! :yahoo:

thanks for your nice comment,yes, Meinl coffee is the best and glad that you could visit the chicago outpost.
will stop at Demels in NYC and think of you when I have the Demel torte.
Looking forward to seeing the Golden Adele at the Neue Galerie, saw it at the Belvedere in 2001, will seem strange to see it in NYC>
All the best, if you ever come to DC or Florida, send me a PM and I can show you around.
Auf wiedershen
susan von

I just saw this now. DH and I took my aunt to the plaza last year when she visited. She spent most of her adult life in Switzerland and she got so excited to see Demels as we were leaving that she was the funniest combo of excited child/distraught adult that I'd ever seen. Keep in mind she is in her late 60's. She was excited to see it but distraught that we'd just spent 3 hours filling ourselves at brunch. We went out for a walk and a browse on 5th ave on the condition that we'd come back to Demels before going home. We came back and service was a bit poor but the food was yum. Her assessment was that it wasn't as good as "back home" but she enjoyed every sip and bite she had. I hope this helps!