Delayed shipment from Germany using DHL Germany/Deutsche Post - and I'm using premium

Dear, don't panic! It's "almost" 10 days, which is not delayed. Your package might sit at the U.S. customs, and it may take several days until it passes customs. The last time I shipped something to the U.S. it took 2 days to arrive in NYC and another 8 (!) days within the U.S. to reach the recipient in Colorado.

You cannot blame DHL for any delay caused by U.S. customs. The package will be scanned once it left customs and arrived at the usps unit for further transportation.
Further, your friend cannot file an investigation yet, 10 days are not considered "delayed" and an investigation request will be possible only after 4 or 5 weeks!

Hope your bag will safely arrive very soon!

Dear, don't panic! It's "almost" 10 days, which is not delayed. Your package might sit at the U.S. customs, and it may take several days until it passes customs. The last time I shipped something to the U.S. it took 2 days to arrive in NYC and another 8 (!) days within the U.S. to reach the recipient in Colorado.

You cannot blame DHL for any delay caused by U.S. customs. The package will be scanned once it left customs and arrived at the usps unit for further transportation.
Further, your friend cannot file an investigation yet, 10 days are not considered "delayed" and an investigation request will be possible only after 4 or 5 weeks!

Hope your bag will safely arrive very soon!

Thank you Thierry! What you said really calms me down and I think I am a little bit over reacting. The reason makes me go crazy is that I though USPS would pick the package first and then put it through the customs. I would not mind it taking time to clear the customs as long as someone tells me where it is. But now I am not sure whether it has been sent to the US yet!

Ellen, you are welcome. I know my post may not be of much help. But you should not be too worried, your item may sit at U.S. customs for quite some days until it arrives at the usps unit. They cannot pick their packages first and then forward them to U.S. customs, it's exactly vice versa! And the tracking information will not be updated until it arrived at the usps unit. I know that's frustrating, but that's how the processing goes.
Please be patient, you said it was sent "premium" which means by airmail, therefore, you should receive it soon - hopefully!

Still no updates... And I found this in the U.S customs' website:

"What is the process international mail goes through when it enters the U.S.?
Mail entering the United States from abroad first arrives at a U.S. Postal Service Sorting Facility. The Postal Service then sends packages to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for examination and to assess duty, if any is owed. CBP processing is required for civilian parcels as well as those sent from overseas military postal facilities (APO/FPO)."

I think this is quite clear that USPS would first pick the package and then put it through the Custom ... Now I am really worried... It has been 10 days now! I contacted the Germany post, and they said it had left Germany already, then I contacted USPS, they said they have not received it! I am so frustrated! Where is my package? I don't think it would take that long to fly from Germany to US ...

Mail entering the United States from abroad first arrives at a U.S. Postal Service Sorting Facility. The Postal Service then sends packages to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) for examination and to assess duty, if any is owed. CBP processing is required for civilian parcels as well as those sent from overseas military postal facilities (APO/FPO)."

I think this is quite clear that USPS would first pick the package and then put it through the Custom ... Now I am really worried... It has been 10 days now! I contacted the Germany post, and they said it had left Germany already, then I contacted USPS, they said they have not received it! I am so frustrated! Where is my package? I don't think it would take that long to fly from Germany to US ...

Don't worry, 2x items have taken 1 month to arrive from Germany to the USA.

Hi, Marbella, it is very nice of you to tell me that ! But still, do not understand why it takes that long! especially it is by air or not by sea! Based on your experience, it that normal that the after two weeks USPS tracking still shows the origin post is preparing shipment?

Hi, Marbella, it is very nice of you to tell me that ! But still, do not understand why it takes that long! especially it is by air or not by sea! Based on your experience, it that normal that the after two weeks USPS tracking still shows the origin post is preparing shipment?
When you contacted DHL, they told you it had left Germany, correct?

USPS tracking is indicating they have not yet received the package.

Therefore, it would seem that the package is still awaiting customs clearance. Tracking will update once it leaves customs. If for some reason it does not clear customs, you will be notified.

Hopefully the sender (your friend) declared the correct value for your luxury designer handbag. Otherwise, there may be a problem.

I hope you hear something soon!

Ellen, I am sorry, I didn't know that. Tracking will be updated once your item passed customs. Therefore, I assumed it would go to customs first, before it is forwarded to the local usps facility.
Hope there will be a current update soon!

I have asked my friend to file an investigation, on their website they say you can file after 10 days with no shipping updates. But we have not heard anything back yet. Right now, I feel like I am in a helpless position. When I called Germany Post, they said it left Germany and they can do nothing about it; then I contacted USPS, they told me they do not receive it and asked me to contact Germany Post. So I guess the Customs is the one to blame ... Does anyone know is there any way I can call US Customs to see whether the package is sitting there?

I have asked my friend to file an investigation, on their website they say you can file after 10 days with no shipping updates. But we have not heard anything back yet. Right now, I feel like I am in a helpless position. When I called Germany Post, they said it left Germany and they can do nothing about it; then I contacted USPS, they told me they do not receive it and asked me to contact Germany Post. So I guess the Customs is the one to blame ... Does anyone know is there any way I can call US Customs to see whether the package is sitting there?
Sometimes USPS neglects to scan items at every stage.

Hi guys! Great news! USPS just suddenly update the tracking and it was delivered ! It seems like they missed the all the scan at the airport and customs. But I would tell everyone that DONNOT use the postal office system to do international shipping of expensive items. Next time, I would pay extra and use DHL express or Fedex.

Reactions: Catbird9
Hi guys! Great news! USPS just suddenly update the tracking and it was delivered ! It seems like they missed the all the scan at the airport and customs. But I would tell everyone that DONNOT use the postal office system to do international shipping of expensive items. Next time, I would pay extra and use DHL express or Fedex.
Great news! I have heard that if you use DHL, they'll ask for more money upon delivery.