Arts & Crafts Decorating a House

MissyBaby

Sep 19, 2006
Hey everyone, this is my first post on the DIY board, and boy is it a dilly!!!

I'm about to being the process of semi remodeling and decorating my soon to be home. I'm getting married in December and my DF and I have a home lined up. It's a rental his Dad is letting us have for free for as long as we want. (Ain't it great?!) The only problem here is that there are people still living in it and therefore I have never seen the inside of it. They are supposed to be moving out hopefully by the end of this month, but so far I have yet to see as much as a shoebox leave that house and I'm getting ancy about it. One of my former BFF's just posted pics on Facebook of her soon to be home (she's getting married on the 21st of this month) and it sort of renewed my interest in getting the house decorating process going!

So let me give you a little bit of what we are thinking....we are going for dark and modern. We have brown leather living room furniture. We plan to accent that with a gold paint on the walls and red and gold accent pillows. We also have a dark wood piano that needs to go in the living room. We yet to have a coffee table, end tables or an entertainment center....this could be troublesome come December.

We have a 6 seater kitchen table that can be changed to a 4 seater (which is the way it will be cause I'm told the kitchen is uber small and there is no dining room). The wood is sort of a dark red, but as long as it's dark I'm not pitching much of a fit, it was only 75 bucks from a friend....I hate the chairs so I'm going to use chair covers. All my major appliances will hopefully be stainless steal, if I can raise the dough in enough time, and all of my smaller appliances are red. These (http://www.dillards.com/webapp/wcs/...artServlet?view=20&No=20&N=1632442&R=03008263) are our dishes. So it looks like we should go sort of earthy with our decor scheme, but I'm not sure, tell me what you think.

When it comes to the one and only bathroom in the house he seems to want a pale purple color....I'm thinking dark purple with brown. Does that work?? Purple and brown? Browns a neutral, it should go with everything....if anyone has any ideas on that PLEASE tell me before he goes out and buys the pastel paint!

Our bedroom is the brown and blue theme....We have a queen sized bed and a dresser and a chest of drawers to put in there and so far that's about it. We registered for some brown trimmings but I'm not thrilled with them. But he picked them out and if he was willing to do it, I am willing to sleep under it a night or two. I found something a JCPenney's I love. I found it when I was looking through their catalog last night but I can't seem to find it online.

Our 2nd bedroom we are using as my office, as my business is operated out of the home!

The laundry room is an add on off of the kitchen, and I'm hoping it's large enough that I can have like Container World come out and completely redesign it.

If anyone has any ideas of what is cute, PLEASE let me know!!!

Thanks a ton,
Miss

The best advice is to just start watching HGTV ALL the time and read up on your house magazines.

i'm really horrible at picking out colors too and all of my color schemes when i got my house came from a DIY show i was watching on HGTV or TLC. seriously there was on house where they repainted the living room, dining room and kitchen and i said "THOSE ARE MY COLORS!"

however i have to be honest and say that gold color walls kinda make me nervous! unless you're not talking literally gold but like a mustardy/dark yellow.

in my opinion the bathroom should be a light and relaxing color and if your bathroom is small then you probably won't want to use a dark purple on the walls.

Oh yes, I live on HGTV! My Mom and Dad remodeled 8 and built 1 house, their bff's built 3 (literally!) So they are giving me a ton of advice....

I thought about the light color bathroom, and as far as I know it is small....but my friend (former friend, it's in one of my past posts) has their bathroom painted dark brown and I love it! Who knows! I will come up with something!

I noticed boxes on the front porch yesterday! They are starting to pack!