Decisions....Decisions

Jun 8, 2006
Good morning, ladies!

Hope all are well. I don't show up often, because handbags are a serious weakness and well, I have to keep money to put inside! LOL

It's been well over a year since I purchased my last Dooney. It was (and still is), a logo lock in nylon. Great purchase. Lightweight, affordable and easy to clean. Can pack it up if traveling. The kisslock purse is great and the keyfob made a nice little "just because" gift for one happy teen. No problems with the lock. One day I took out all of my Dooneys and realized they were all black and tan--from the smallest to the largest.
I then became fixated on getting a bag in natural, because I think it would look great with all of my coats which are black, cranberry red, navy, blonde and winter white. They say black goes with everything, but it really doesn't. i own a Coach Court bag in British tan, but I really baby that one, since that glove leather stains easily.
I ended up with the Lily bucket since Q is clearing them out and on a whim, (blame it on Nyquil) I purchased the small Ashley messenger. Obviously, I can't keep both of them. I thought the Lily was good in natural--not color worries and there were accessories. I don't need a large to medium bag. I have plenty.
I couldn't cancel the other bag, so now it sits in the Post Office. I said to myself that I would send the Lily back immediately and take a look at the Ashley and send back. Of course, the Post office didn't do what I thought they would do. It was pointed out to me by my teen friend that I "have plenty of smaller bags," why don't I keep the Lily?
My lifestyle has shifted since becoming a freelancer and I am not really looking at commuter type bags anymore, so perhaps the smaller one is better. Even though being in NYC, we schlep our stuff without cars, so the Lily still could be used.
The Ashley isn't perfect: it doesn't have that back slip pocket. What I am concerned with is the leather interior and the ability to keep it clean. I know the red interior is a bit much, I have yet to have had any problems with color transfer.
I just putting my rambling thoughts out here. If anyone has any input, it is most appreciated.
Thanks for reading. Have a great day!

Reactions: Dooneysta
Good morning, ladies!

Hope all are well. I don't show up often, because handbags are a serious weakness and well, I have to keep money to put inside! LOL

It's been well over a year since I purchased my last Dooney. It was (and still is), a logo lock in nylon. Great purchase. Lightweight, affordable and easy to clean. Can pack it up if traveling. The kisslock purse is great and the keyfob made a nice little "just because" gift for one happy teen. No problems with the lock. One day I took out all of my Dooneys and realized they were all black and tan--from the smallest to the largest.
I then became fixated on getting a bag in natural, because I think it would look great with all of my coats which are black, cranberry red, navy, blonde and winter white. They say black goes with everything, but it really doesn't. i own a Coach Court bag in British tan, but I really baby that one, since that glove leather stains easily.
I ended up with the Lily bucket since Q is clearing them out and on a whim, (blame it on Nyquil) I purchased the small Ashley messenger. Obviously, I can't keep both of them. I thought the Lily was good in natural--not color worries and there were accessories. I don't need a large to medium bag. I have plenty.
I couldn't cancel the other bag, so now it sits in the Post Office. I said to myself that I would send the Lily back immediately and take a look at the Ashley and send back. Of course, the Post office didn't do what I thought they would do. It was pointed out to me by my teen friend that I "have plenty of smaller bags," why don't I keep the Lily?
My lifestyle has shifted since becoming a freelancer and I am not really looking at commuter type bags anymore, so perhaps the smaller one is better. Even though being in NYC, we schlep our stuff without cars, so the Lily still could be used.
The Ashley isn't perfect: it doesn't have that back slip pocket. What I am concerned with is the leather interior and the ability to keep it clean. I know the red interior is a bit much, I have yet to have had any problems with color transfer.
I just putting my rambling thoughts out here. If anyone has any input, it is most appreciated.
Thanks for reading. Have a great day!
The Ashley is a beautiful, and adorable, handbag. However, as you pointed out it doesn't have a back pocket. I love the Florentine leather, but I have found it scratches and in a light color, it is difficult to keep clean. The bone leather interior is lovely, but I too worry about it getting dirty.... from keys and maybe other things you put in your handbag (receipts, for example). I don't see the Ashley as a care free handbag. It makes a beautiful addition to a collection, but I don't think you will use it everyday. Maybe if you bought it in black or navy or dark brown it would see more use.... but the lining and lack of outside pocket would still be factors.
If the Lily you bought is also Florentine leather, then some of the issues are the same. But if the Lily was the Toscana Florentine, that has a different finish and seems to be very wear resistant. Also, I've never had a problem with color transfer from a red Dooney lining and mine have always stayed clean.
So now we are down to style..... which bag makes you happiest?
I'm not sure any handbag is perfect. Think of why you love your nylon logo lock and see if any of those reasons are found in the Lily or the Ashley.
Good luck.

The more handbags we buy, the less perfect each one needs to be.
When you search for a single handbag to refresh your wardrobe or fill a specific need, the more requirements you add to the criteria. It becomes a considered purchase and you want to make the best decision you can.
Just remember, not everyone has the same needs/criteria when they purchase a handbag. So styles, leathers, organization details are of varying importance. Good luck in your decision process.
BTW, what leather is the Lily you purchesed? Toscana or Florentine?

Update: The Ashley went back. Adorable, check. Back pocket, nope? Very easy to scratch and then I had encountered the specials on ILD. The Lily I picked up in elephant for 20 percent off of $138. In other words, it end edup being half of the clearance price of the QVC Lily. And when I looked at the price of the Ashley with tax and shipping, I couldn't do it. In a fit of craziness in the wee hours of the a.m., I ordered the TSV Gracie hobo. In elephant. I tried to cancel it, but it came anyway.

A nice enough bag, but with everyone under the sun offering comparable versions at half that price, I couldn't do it. Plus, not a fan of that streamer zipper pull. I was looking at $263 for that. No pouch just a key fob.

I will say, though, that the "elephant" Lily looks like more of a taupe to me. Or like an elephant that more of a brown color. Everything came beautifully wrapped. And then I remembered returns aren't as easy with ILD. But that low price made it OK to keep.

Update: The Ashley went back. Adorable, check. Back pocket, nope? Very easy to scratch and then I had encountered the specials on ILD. The Lily I picked up in elephant for 20 percent off of $138. In other words, it end edup being half of the clearance price of the QVC Lily. And when I looked at the price of the Ashley with tax and shipping, I couldn't do it. In a fit of craziness in the wee hours of the a.m., I ordered the TSV Gracie hobo. In elephant. I tried to cancel it, but it came anyway.

A nice enough bag, but with everyone under the sun offering comparable versions at half that price, I couldn't do it. Plus, not a fan of that streamer zipper pull. I was looking at $263 for that. No pouch just a key fob.

I will say, though, that the "elephant" Lily looks like more of a taupe to me. Or like an elephant that more of a brown color. Everything came beautifully wrapped. And then I remembered returns aren't as easy with ILD. But that low price made it OK to keep.
Glad you found a winner at a good price.
ILD returns aren't a problem. Just go to their site and use their online form to generate a return label. They will charge you $7.50 for the return shipping unless the bag is defective. But that's less than you would pay for the return otherwise. And you can track it. I'm guessing during the holiday season they may not be as efficient as normally, but my ILD returns have gone smoothly. I can't say the same for Dooney.com.