Dealing with Others when Wearing Jewelry

I had to laugh at some of these posts.
When I worked I wore a lot of nice jewelry...hell, that's why you buy it, to wear. One particular gal would always comment as soon as I got on the plane. Grabbed my hand/wrist, looked me over and asked if I got any new pieces. Then asked how much everything cost. I doubled the price just to freak her
out :graucho:

My Lovely, SkyQueen! How I've missed you! This is EXACTLY something I would do! :amuse:

Absolutely "brilliant"! :heart:

I love this! Depending on my mood, I have freaked out people by saying outrageous things ... like oh it's a fake, it fell off the truck...the face reactions are so worth it.
Only for people deserving...mostly I'm flattered.
My Lovely, SkyQueen! How I've missed you! This is EXACTLY something I would do! :amuse:

Absolutely "brilliant"! :heart:
My darling girl...I've missed you, too! Don't stay away so long :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Strangers have approached, commented about liking my jewelry.
And, mostly older women, sometimes touch my rings.
Just a finger-tap. And a smile.
I find it weird.
But not threatening. Just moths drawn to fire.
A sincere sort of weird.

Worst experience was mother's friend hounding me.
To sell her jewelry piece I inherited.
Weeks after my mother's death.
Since, as she explained, "You won't wear it much."
Stranger comments NEVER have been so knife-edge self-centered & cruel, honestly.

I'm sorry for your loss as well. I'm very glad you have something as personal as her jewelry to keep with you.

I hope your life is now full of much kinder people than the woman you mentioned. That kind of behavior is not just tactless and selfish, it's almost hateful. Both you and your mother's memory deserve much better.

I adore jewelry but wear only a Love bracelet, watch, wedding set and little earrings when I work. I've had the usual "is that real?", and "how much did it cost?" type of questions about the ring. Inevitably I say, "no, it's a hologram" or "do I look like the kind of person to wear a fake?" (It's always interesting to see people tap dancing around that one). The how much it cost question gets either a raised eyebrow or "too much!", depending on my mood. But the strangest comment was from a co-worker who said "they'd cut off your finger in the Phillipines to get that ring". Okayyy, I'll keep that in mind when making any travel plans.

I have had people ask me how I can I afford such nice jewelry pieces. One person asked if my engagement ring was real because an I quote " youre fiancé is so young, how can he afford a ring that nice".
I mostly get nice compliments or just stares lol.

Reactions: kkfiregirl
People have asked me about my jewellery, bags and things before and how I afford it because my job isn't minimum wage but it isn't far off, and my answer is always I don't drink and I don't smoke. You would be surprised how many people take a step back then, because smoking is expensive and frankly, I'd rather use my hard earned money to buy a nice handbag than to go out and get drunk at the weekends. It's sort of stopped now I'm a bit older, but people do make comments on designer items, like "you're just paying for the name" and all that usual rubbish, but I find that it's mostly born of a slight jealousy at that point. I remember being roasted by a colleague because my OH and I have decided on Tiffany's for the future engagement ring and all she gave me was an earful about how I could get a far cheaper ring and no-one would know the difference. How my OH and I choose to spend our money is our business. We both work damn hard and we live within our means, not right up to it. Sorry for the long rant, I hope I haven't offended anyone who enjoys a night out or a cigarette but it's just my lifestyle choice. [emoji15]

When we first got engaged people asked me pretty frequently if my ring is "real." The center stone is 1.8 ct. C&C moissanite, and a lot of our friends who got engaged around the same time had smaller diamonds. I hate the question but I used to tell people that it's moissy until I realized that no one knows what that is and I had to explain every time. Now I just say that I love my ring so much that I would never ask my husband what it is because it doesn't matter. The stone has fooled countless jewelers who always think it's a diamond (which usually gets me better service when I am in the store).

I also have a set of 9-10 mm black Tahitian pearls that people ask about pretty much every time I wear them. They don't ask if they are real, but they ask where I got them and how much they were.

I come from a much more modest background than my husband and my sister and some others back home always comment on my ring or other pieces when I visit, so now I usually only wear my ring and try to keep everything else minimal when I am there.

Reactions: suchi
When we first got engaged people asked me pretty frequently if my ring is "real." The center stone is 1.8 ct. C&C moissanite, and a lot of our friends who got engaged around the same time had smaller diamonds. I hate the question but I used to tell people that it's moissy until I realized that no one knows what that is and I had to explain every time. Now I just say that I love my ring so much that I would never ask my husband what it is because it doesn't matter. The stone has fooled countless jewelers who always think it's a diamond (which usually gets me better service when I am in the store).

I also have a set of 9-10 mm black Tahitian pearls that people ask about pretty much every time I wear them. They don't ask if they are real, but they ask where I got them and how much they were.

I come from a much more modest background than my husband and my sister and some others back home always comment on my ring or other pieces when I visit, so now I usually only wear my ring and try to keep everything else minimal when I am there.

That is INSANE, the lack of tact is just astounding, its so outrageous that it makes me laugh, SMH! :smile:

My rings are moissy, which i bought as gift to myself after passing 2 very difficult examinations. They are pretty awesome. Go star gems.
About tahitians, people in my country have only seen I guess button freshies, and people have called them plastic beads.

If a question or comment comes from one of my close friends, I won't mind answering it and sharing information because I know that their intention is good and it's not malicious. I have to say that around some of my family I just stopped wearing jewelry altogether. I've had a couple of bad experiences, for exemple a child once said to my husband and I to get him a toy because ¨why not you are rich¨ which is rude AND not true but his mom has made comments in the past that led him to think that. She use to ask about my jewelry and I was naive enough to answer her without realizing that she took my enthusiasm as showing off, well you live and you learn. With the money questions and the constant starring I've decided it's better to play it safe and be as diplomatic as possible to not increase the jealousy of people that I can't really cut off my life like that, I would hate to be the ¨show off¨ cousin. Now, from strangers and not-so-close-¨friends¨ I will not answer any question about my jewelry and if they insist or make rude comments I will tell them that it's rude.