Dealing with Others when Wearing Jewelry

saligator

O.G.
Nov 21, 2006
I did a search and didn't find this exact topic. There's something like it in the Hermes thread.

I'm finding that people seem to stare and ask how much my jewelry costs and other kind of impolite and strange questions.

This happens when I'm not even wearing big bling (which I have little of)--just like diamond studs or a ring.

Does this happen to anyone else? How do you handle it?

Reactions: GoldTopaz
I really do not get stares or impolite questions. But then again, my jewelry are not big blings. Now and then, I would get nice compliments, but that's about it. :shrugs:

YES! all the time, I have people ask me is that a diamond? a certain designer? how much was it?

I have even had girls try to take a ring off my finger to try it on!!

it's so awkward, it always happens in social situations and others tend to stare.

I usually handle it by just saying yes its made of this, I avoid the price issue and depending on where we are and how well I know them sometimes I let them try my jewellery on:shame:

I really do not get stares or impolite questions. But then again, my jewelry are not big blings. Now and then, I would get nice compliments, but that's about it. :shrugs:
I think the reason I get stares or questions is because my friends are all between 25-29 and not many of my friends know jewellery or designers so when someone brings it up everyone just stops....and listens...and then stares LOL

I think I'm just sort of in shock that people I know well could be so bold with their questions and that strangers would ask before even saying hello or anything else...

My mom knows designers and I can tell her how much stuff costs. If my grandma or strangers ask I tell them it was a gift or I got it really cheap on eBay. Most of my friends don't wear jewelry so it's not much of an issue. Most of the people who comment on my stuff are sales associates.

I have a few substantial pieces (e-ring, diamond studs, drop, tennis bracelet, etc) but I typically only wear my e-ring and earrings at once. I have only received compliments....a few times, I have had sales people ask how many carats....

I got more of those questions (usually about my engagement ring more than anything) when I was in my mid-twenties and everyone seemed to be getting engaged. I hate questions about cost...I think it's totally rude and I'd never ask anyone that myself, except maybe my mom or my sister. I usually responded with "I don't like to discuss those things" which people have told me sounds a little rude. My feeling is that if they're rude enough to ask, they should be politely told the truth! "I do not like to discuss those things"!! Asking someone the cost of something is, IMO, right up there with asking their age and/or weight!

All the time.. Especially my engagement ring. One jeweler, actually called me & asked for me to e-mail the design so he could copy it for his wife! Lol ofcourse he was going to use a much larger stone..now he has told his entire client base & I get asked to show my ring anywhere & everywhere!!! Don't really like it..

All the time.. Especially my engagement ring. One jeweler, actually called me & asked for me to e-mail the design so he could copy it for his wife! Lol ofcourse he was going to use a much larger stone..now he has told his entire client base & I get asked to show my ring anywhere & everywhere!!! Don't really like it..

Ooo - sounds lovely.... can we see pics of your ring? I promise I wont ask how much it cost though :biggrin:

LOL! Interesting thread.
I only get compliments or "bought any new jewelry lately?"
I don't look too approachable, so no one mentions cost, or if something's fake...Thank God!

I do get comments and questions a LOT. But only on my rings. I rarely wear anything beyond those.

At work I often get comments from our members that say things like I am flaunting my wealth and my job in their faces, when they've been out of work for a while and how unfair it is that I can afford this monster rock to flash at them when they can't afford food. I often don't wear it to work now because of that, despite explaining I've had it longer than I've worked here. I decided that it's better to either not wear it here, or turn it around when they're here.

I have a few "friends", SK knows who this one is, that give me crap about flaunting my wealth too, despite this one in particular having a bigger ring, a better paying job, and not being broke by any stretch of the imagination. She only wants to go out if I pay for her. I simply tolerate her in my life at this point. I don't get the way she involves money in our relationship, I do not talk about money or how much things cost. I am the furthest thing from "flaunty" at all. I live in the same lower middle class suburb she's in, and grew up in a middle class suburb as well. We both went to school for the same thing, and worked together in the past. I might have gotten into the agency world but it's not as glamorous as she'd like to think. I buy my clothes at Target and Nordstrom, mostly Target. My bag has no logos and is the furthest from showy. It might be huge but it's neutral. My shoes are typically converse from Target (I like the little star on the side!). My car is a mid-priced Nissan SUV. If anything my ring should come off as fake!

As far as other people, cashiers etc, those folks usually compliment it, but to my recollection only one person has ever commented on how much it might have cost.

Jewelers and the like I don't usually get a lot of negative commentary, most just have never seen this cut before.