Dealing with an unsual buyer.....any advice?

HOTasFCUK

Oct 9, 2008
So i had a buyer interested in a bag on ebay. She emailed me & said she would bid at the end if nobody else did & would like to pay in 3 installments & then i would ship. I said it would be ok & after my auction ended with no bids. I emailed her & she said she will still take the bag. I checked her feedback and its over 50 but all the transactions have been made in the last month and thats how long she has been a member for. Many of the items were purchased from the same sellers & are very low priced items. My item is over $400.

So i'm wondering would you still follow through with this transaction? I'm a little nervous & i don't know why. I've never sold/shipped something this expensive. Of course i would get insurance & tracking. What do you guys think?

She wouldn't have any protection going off ebay. It sounds to me that she is taking the bigger risk really. She can't file anything with paypal since she is doing a payment plan. So if her FB is good, I don't see why you couldn't deal with her.

I am not so sure about that.... seems to me I have read something on here about buyers making ONE payment & then filing INR...??
I would do one of two things.. CALL PP and ask about this b4 you proceed...

OR tell her that the 1st 2 payments need to be in form of money orders & last payment can be PP.

There is another member on this forum who paid 2 PP payments for an ebay item, never received the item, filed 2-INR's.... 2 payments, 2 INR's... and has WON the 1st INR. awaiting the 2nd.

I'd be checking w/ PP on this one, TBH.

Last edited:
Don't think you will be covered by PP if you take $$ in divided payments. Call and ask them to be sure. Another red flag: her FB would make me nervous...

Thanks everyone. I was thinking i could some how get scammed by the separate payments but i wasn't sure until i read these posts! I think i'm going to pass on this buyer. All their stuff has been bought in July and many multiple items from the same seller. I'm scared they are ordering a bunch of stuff & then will file some fraudulent pp claims.

I think what the other posters are remembering is the old Paypal policy where the item lost seller protection from multiple payments. It is now the opposite where the buyer loses buyer protection when there are multiple payments. Check out section 13.3 a of the User Agreement to see where it specifies that. So really it's your buyer who's losing protection. But, of course gut feelings always seem to be the best judgement, so go with that, but as far as paypal goes, at least theoretically you shouldn't have a problem.

if you are still protected, you've really got nothing to lose (except recieveing all your money at once.) If sara_g is right, it's the buyer who has everything to lose. Maybe clear this up with the buyer, and make sure this is really something she wants to pursue. You may luck out of this sale if she feels uncomfortable.

As long as you can verify that a single payment won't qualify her for filing INR (even tho full payment has not been made)... then it's your call. If you are at all edgy about it, then pass. Not worth the stress.

Thanks everyone. She just emailed me again (even though i'm yet to contact her back) saying there was a death in the family, they had to pay for the funeral, she still wants the bag, and not to sell it. I think i may just tell her i need the money all in one shot or nothing. I really want to get this bag sold so i can pay my c/c but terrified of getting scammed and losing a bag worth $900. I don't understand why she just can't pay with her damn c/c on paypal?

don't do the transaction off of ebay. relist the bag, send her the auction number and let her know if she's still interested she is welcome to bid like everyone else.

Thanks everyone. She just emailed me again (even though i'm yet to contact her back) saying there was a death in the family, they had to pay for the funeral, she still wants the bag, and not to sell it. I think i may just tell her i need the money all in one shot or nothing. I really want to get this bag sold so i can pay my c/c but terrified of getting scammed and losing a bag worth $900. I don't understand why she just can't pay with her damn c/c on paypal?
Death in the family? really...that's a good excuse and one used quite often. Her funeral expenses are not YOUR problem. She either has the money to buy a bag or not.Tell her you will do BIN with immediate payment and if she can't do it that way, I would let it go. This is a problem waiting to happen: if you do the three payments you won't be covered by PP, and she has already provided a line of excuses. 2 huge red flags.:nuts: